PO: Jesse Malin, Fine Art of Self Destruction Deluxe Reissue (Ryan Adams)

Really amazing and underrated record produced by Ryan Adams (who also plays guitar). The bonus material looks great too. 

http://indian.co.uk/shop/the-fine-art-of-self-destruction-album.html

JESSE MALIN The Fine Art Of Self Destruction (Deluxe Reissue) ( One Little Indian )
Double Vinyl & CD Reissued with Bonus Disc of original demos & new sleeve notesOriginally released in 2002, Jesse Malin’s classic solo debut is to be reissued on 26th February as a limited run on double CD and Vinyl with new sleevenotes by The Gaslight Anthem’s Brian Fallon. The second disc adds 11 more tracks originally demoed for the record at Electric Lady studios, only 4 of which made it to the final version – which gives an insight into the quantity and quality of material to hand at the time.

Agreed this is a really great album and the extras should be interesting. Already have an original pressing but could be tempted. And I too would love The Heat to get a similar reissue with extras.

Yeah, I finally tracked down a copy of the Heat last year but the surface noise on Side B makes it almost unlistenable. 

Track list:

Lp1

Queen Of The Underworld

TKO

Downliner

Wendy

Brooklyn

The Fine Art Of Self Destruction

Riding On The Subway

High Lonesome

Solitaire

Almost Grown

Xmas

Lp2

All Alone (Almost Grown)

Bad Friday

Downliner

Fallen Angel

Hunger Heart

Three Martini Lunch

Sorrow

Stranger Than Fools

TKO

Wendy

Brooklyn (Rock Version)

Hungry Heart

Track list:

Lp1

Queen Of The Underworld

TKO

Downliner

Wendy

Brooklyn

Riding On The Subway

High Lonesome

Solitaire

Almost Grown

Xmas

Lp2

All Alone (Almost Grown)

Bad Friday

Downliner

Fallen Angel

Hunger Heart

Three Martini Lunch

Sorrow

Stranger Than Fools

TKO

Wendy

Brooklyn (Rock Version)

Hungry Heart

Beyond stoked for this. I just grabbed front row tickets to the NYC show in June when he's playing the whole record. Still a few tix left: http://www.citywinery.com/newyork/catalog/product/buytickets/id/1385826/

He's doing a similar show in Chicago.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Pre-orders for The Heat deluxe reissue are live:

Double LP + Poster Bundles: http://indian.co.uk/shop/the-heat-deluxe-reissue-bundles.html

Double LP Only: http://indian.co.uk/shop/the-heat-deluxe-reissue-1905.html 

Double Vinyl & CD Reissued with Bonus Disc of live bootlegs, remixes & new sleeve notes.

The Heat saw Jesse turning up both the temperature and the volume while retaining the potent rough-edged intimacy of his songs. Enter a more layered approach and LOTS of electric guitar.

Today Jesse reflects on the record thus: “After my first solo record I wanted to write less about myself and more about others. The record was mostly written on the road: While my friends back home were getting married and having kids I was at the Columbia hotel waiting for the bar to open. open. Ryan Adams played some the sickest guitar all over the album and came up with the title a month later, lying in a hospital bed with a badly broken arm after falling seven foot off the stage in Liverpool. The cover was shot in the one of the last dirt bag, pay-by-the-hour hotels in Times Square (I wouldn’t sit on the bed, there was bloodstained carpet and a cigarette burned headboard…to keep it real!)

Recorded in late 2003 – an extrordinary year for Malin, riding high off the reception to The Fine Art Of Self-Destruction, he returned to Britain several times and the year ended with him playing three nights with Bruce Springsteen.