Dark Souls III - Sleep when you're dead.

rooks

I got to the first boss in DS I. Gave up after 6 tries. I will never git gud it seems.

Don't give up :(

You mean first boss as in the huge fat Asylum Demon in the tutorial, or first boss as in Taurus demon on the bridge?

I played DS1 closer to when it came out and could not get past Undead Burg (first real area) for the longest time. Gave up and put it down. Picked it back up a while later with new determination and loved every single second of it.  Once you learn to not play it like any game you've played before, it all clicks.

Don't give up :(

You mean first boss as in the huge fat Asylum Demon in the tutorial, or first boss as in Taurus demon on the bridge?

I played DS1 closer to when it came out and could not get past Undead Burg (first real area) for the longest time. Gave up and put it down. Picked it back up a while later with new determination and loved every single second of it. Once you learn to not play it like any game you've played before, it all clicks.

It was the one you can get a weapon from, I think?? His tail or something. I gave up because I have a intense anger with games that demoralize and wreck me.

It was the one you can get a weapon from, I think?? His tail or something. I gave up because I have a intense anger with games that demoralize and wreck me.

Haha maybe not the game series for you then.

It's been said to death, but Dark Souls difficulty is different. You can't turn it up or down, it just is. You live knowing that other people have done it before you, and will do it after you. Even after the tenth or twentieth try on a boss or area, you know deep down it's possible.

It's such a cathartic experience. I never get down on myself playing Dark Souls. If something is really giving me trouble it just makes me want to beat it even more.

Haha maybe not the game series for you then.

It's been said to death, but Dark Souls difficulty is different. You can't turn it up or down, it just is. You live knowing that other people have done it before you, and will do it after you. Even after the tenth or twentieth try on a boss or area, you know deep down it's possible.

It's such a cathartic experience. I never get down on myself playing Dark Souls. If something is really giving me trouble it just makes me want to beat it even more.

I played because I want the intense satisfaction you all seem to recieve from this game. I watched a guy beat bosses with rock band drums and I can't even do it with a remote.

I played because I want the intense satisfaction you all seem to recieve from this game. I watched a guy beat bosses with rock band drums and I can't even do it with a remote.

Eh, I don't care too much for that upside down, 1-hand, no-look, rock band drums shit.

Soul level 1 run even is hokey bullshit. Once you get good at the game it's really not that hard to dodge 90% of hits. Soul level 1 challenege runs just turn into hours and hours of baiting and luring and chipping away at health pools. Boring.

I do love making other characters though. Like I've done a magic/miracles/hexes, dex, str, run on each of the games. Always fun to try different styles.

As far as the intense satisfaction, it's only intense because of how much you struggle at first. There's no way I'd love these games as much as I do if they didn't make me so mad i screamed. But unlike online FPS games or something when I scream out of the desire to murder some 12 year old lil bitch on the other team, I know whatever happened in Dark Souls was my fault. Which means you can fix it.

I don't know what kind of games you play now, but the biggest thing I had to get through my head when I started was the speed at which I'm used to running through levels and boss fights. If you sprint through a Dark Souls level, unless you know what you're doing and where you're going, you're going to get swarmed and die. If you can walk slowly, kill everything along the way, and be observant. The game is more enjoyable because you actually make progress.  If you can accept that a boss fight is going to take 10 minutes as opposed to trying to DPS like crazy and finish in 30 seconds, you're going to survive a lot longer. Dark Souls is as much about pulling punches as it is about dealing them.

it's different, but it's rewarding. Speed runs and everything are really easy once you "git gud" it's really not just a PVP phrase to me - once Dark Souls clicks for you, it's all second nature.

Ordered the collectors edition with the Red Knight statue last week from my local store.  I seriously cant wait.  It doesn't help that it comes out the same week as my birthday and my favorite bands reunion tour (where they play my 2 favorite albums in their entirety).  That week is going to be so hype.

I'm really, truly looking forward to it. Even more than I was for Dark Souls II (which is saying something).

The return of Miyazaki? Miyazaki laying his baby to rest with one last hurrah?

He's said openly (several times) that this is intended to be the last Dark Souls. I expect him to let the series go out on a high note, with no need for redemption (like DSII so badly needed without his direction).

I'm really, truly looking forward to it. Even more than I was for Dark Souls II (which is saying something).

The return of Miyazaki? Miyazaki laying his baby to rest with one last hurrah?

He's said openly (several times) that this is intended to be the last Dark Souls. I expect him to let the series go out on a high note, with no need for redemption (like DSII so badly needed without his direction).

SHHHHHHH DS2 was just a crazy fever dream we all had.  It never really existed.  ;)

Yes, indeed!

Thought that was a nice touch, since when you cycle to NG+, that's the part where it picks up. It skips the main part of the cinematic, and she says "yes, indeed" ...It's as if they're repeating on purpose to convey this is still a continuation, albeit repetition to your journey. We are still in Lordran/Drangliec. No matter what choices we make, the world always crumbles, and there be monsters.

Not that it matters, but I agree with everything Rooks said about DS1 and its difficulty.

For some reason the game reminds me of Morrowind. Obviously very different games. But it just had a way of drawing me into the world, that few games can do.

Kind of on topic but not... has anyone here played "Otogi" for the original Xbox? I am pretty sure Miyazaki had a hand in that game also. It too was a really awesome game. But it just kinda flew under the radar. Oh I wish they'd make a remake of it.