We are no longer offering media mail due to its incredibly slow delivery times and blah blah blah

Jump Start records also does something similar. They offer the option to buy insurance with Media Mail and make you check a box where you agree that they absolve themselves of liability if something gets damaged via Media Mail. What I find interesting is that even with Media from Kings Road I got my stuff real quick and I live in NYC. Their mailers should also prevent a bunch of damage from happening so I'm not sure what the problem was.

labels need to start taking a little more time to make sure things are secured prior to droppong their shipments off at the post office. Also ship record(s) outside of the jacket will avoid a lot of complaints, and damage claims.

The problem with this is that labels like Epitaph often have stuff shrink wrapped at the plant to save time. It's time consuming to assemble orders by hand and ship outside the sleeve. Notice labels that do that often take more time to ship stuff out, and with the amount of orders they handle that could be a problem.

• 2 months later...

So Kings Road went back to media mail as an option for a bit - when they did I finally ordered that Dustin Kensrue live album.  But I just went to order something else and it appears that they've removed media mail again.  I contacted customer service and here is their response:

Hi there, 

Because the rate of loss is higher with Media Mail we have excluded it from exclusive and limited edition items to ensure everyone that orders theirs receives them and that they are not used as replacements.

Regards,
KRM

You Canadians need to stop this, it's not our fault your crazy monopoly dollars are losing value ha!

It's not the dollar amount, even when our dollars are comparable our costs are still WAY higher.  I mean, regardless of the specific cost, all you need to realize our system is stupid is notice this small fact:

• Cost to ship an LP from a Canadian address to a Canadian address is $14 (roughly, for example)
  • Cost to ship from a US address to a Canadian address is $10-12 (once converted to CAD)
  • Cost to ship from a Canadian address to a US address is $8.50

How does that make any sense??

Our shipping costs are shitty because our postal system is not capable of running a business.

It's not the dollar amount, even when our dollars are comparable our costs are still WAY higher. I mean, regardless of the specific cost, all you need to realize our system is stupid is notice this small fact:

• Cost to ship an LP from a Canadian address to a Canadian address is $14 (roughly, for example)
  • Cost to ship from a US address to a Canadian address is $10-12 (once converted to CAD)
How does that make any sense??

Our shipping costs are shitty because our postal system is not capable of running a business.

• I didn't read any of this

• What's so special about Tim Horton's coffee?

It's not the dollar amount, even when our dollars are comparable our costs are still WAY higher.  I mean, regardless of the specific cost, all you need to realize our system is stupid is notice this small fact:

How does that make any sense??

On the surface, it makes no sense. I dug deeper and found the reason - infrastructure. Once a package enters the USPS chain, the network is huge, therefore allowing cheaper rates. Canada has a small fraction of the trucks/outlets/employees, so the rates are higher. Location/Distance also makes a difference. It costs me around $10 - $12 US to ship a single LP from Canada to US. So everyone's experience is different. 

On the surface, it makes no sense. I dug deeper and found the reason - infrastructure. Once a package enters the USPS chain, the network is huge, therefore allowing cheaper rates. Canada has a small fraction of the trucks/outlets/employees, so the rates are higher. Location/Distance also makes a difference. It costs me around $10 - $12 US to ship a single LP from Canada to US. So everyone's experience is different. 

If this were the case we'd see similar prices for US to Canada as Canada to US.

If this were the case we'd see similar prices for US to Canada as Canada to US.

We are. Every LP that I order from the states are $12 - $16 US to ship. I haven't seen anything cheaper than that for many years. If you do an order at Sub Pop, it costs $24.95 + for 4 LPs. Regardless, the extra cost is tacked on because of Canada Post and what they charge to take the package. USPS acts as a "broker" for Canada Post when someone ships here - hence the higher rates. 

I basically factor in $10-20 USD worth of shipping on all my online orders (depending on if from US/EU). It sucks because I really enjoy variant/limited edition collecting, and you are taking a huge chance hoping they show up in-store. So you order for security in your purchase. What that means though is every variant you order ends up running you close to $40USD...

This is why I always have a nice chuckle when I see someone complain about $7 shipping here of $18 dollar shipping there... it's just something us Canucks have to live with.

That being said, problems are relative and if you are used to free shipping, I can see why the removal of that option would be a bummer. Just don't expect much sympathy from us in the North ;)

We are. Every LP that I order from the states are $12 - $16 US to ship. I haven't seen anything cheaper than that for many years. If you do an order at Sub Pop, it costs $24.95 + for 4 LPs. Regardless, the extra cost is tacked on because of Canada Post and what they charge to take the package. USPS acts as a "broker" for Canada Post when someone ships here - hence the higher rates. 

All I can tell you is that if I use Canada post to get a quote from here to an address in the US it costs about $8.50, if I use the exact same address in reverse from US to Canada it's around $4 more.  Try it out yourself with the two websites.

All I can tell you is that if I use Canada post to get a quote from here to an address in the US it costs about $8.50, if I use the exact same address in reverse from US to Canada it's around $4 more. Try it out yourself with the two websites.

It cost me $10 USD to ship a 7" to Canada today. The 7" itself was $8.