Liner notes and vinyl records

I love collecting records.  

I used to collect CDs back when I was younger.  I loved going through the liner notes when I listened to them.  Ever since I started collecting records instead of CDs, the one thing I miss is the fact that most records don't come with liner notes.  Sure, the artwork is huge and beautiful--but only the front cover, not all the sweet pics that would be a CD booklet.  And sometimes they come with a 10" x10" lyric sheet. And expensive deluxe editions may come with booklets.  It's even more apparent now because they are pressing vinyl versions of many of the CDs I had in the 90s. They come in fancy colored vinyl, but fail to include IMO the one huge thing that makes non-mp3 listening worthwhile...the ability to leaf through a booklet while listening.

I wish all records came with liner notes, even if it the same size as the CDs ones.  All CDs used to come with them.  Why can't they just print some extra and include them with the vinyl records?  

Okay, rant over.

I've purchased many CDs that had single sheet covers and no booklets, but always felt like I was getting jipped a little.

I agree with you, I've purchased some LPs that I previously had on vinyl and missed having all the liner notes that the CD had. Radiohead's Kid A is a good example. OK Computer might be too, I don't remember.

yea, or how about when they just shove a copy of the cd booklet into the vinyl sleeve instead of creating a vinyl sized booklet!

for me it really IS a bummer when you open a record and there is just the vinyl in a white inner and nothing else!

I want linear notes and art!! 

I like reading who wrote and played what, who worked on the album, any extra notes and writings, and seeing images and artwork related to the package as a whole... always a bonus when albums have this included

I agree with the OP. It's fun to have some reading material. With CDs, I always felt so let down when lyrics were left out. But I still think vinyl trumps CDs as a piece of art. I recently picked up Pinback's Summer in Abaddon and there was a CD insert included in the jacket. That was a first for me.

when i pressed my first record (the Mike Felumlee / Dan Andriano split), one of the first things i made sure i did was confirm the correct lyrics so i could make a proper insert. originally it was released as a CD on Double Zero Records, and it did come with liner notes, but no lyrics. all of the lyrics i found online over the years were way off, and as somebody who enjoys reading along to lyrics as i'm listening, i made it my mission to get that done.

every record i've put out so far, i've made sure to include the lyrics in the physical insert. there was one instance where the artist specifically didn't want the lyrics physically printed, so to compromise i included them as part of the digital booklet included in the download code.

https://artisticintegrityrecords.bandcamp.com/

I love liner notes. Back in high school when most of my collection was CDs I would obsess over them. Now, nothing is better when a nice book comes inside a vinyl boxset, but I do kind of miss the little books that came with some of my CDs (Pearl Jam releases specifically come to mind).

What's really the best is when someone has written a 33 1/3 book about a certain album. Those are often (and brand themselves as) the ultimate liner notes, with insight into the recording process and things of that nature.

I love liner notes. Back in high school when most of my collection was CDs I would obsess over them. Now, nothing is better when a nice book comes inside a vinyl boxset, but I do kind of miss the little books that came with some of my CDs (Pearl Jam releases specifically come to mind).

What's really the best is when someone has written a 33 1/3 book about a certain album. Those are often (and brand themselves as) the ultimate liner notes, with insight into the recording process and things of that nature.

I have the 33 1/3 entry for Zeppelin IV. It's true, they're pretty much the ultimate companion for listening to an album.

when i pressed my first record (the Mike Felumlee / Dan Andriano split), one of the first things i made sure i did was confirm the correct lyrics so i could make a proper insert. originally it was released as a CD on Double Zero Records, and it did come with liner notes, but no lyrics. all of the lyrics i found online over the years were way off, and as somebody who enjoys reading along to lyrics as i'm listening, i made it my mission to get that done.

every record i've put out so far, i've made sure to include the lyrics in the physical insert. there was one instance where the artist specifically didn't want the lyrics physically printed, so to compromise i included them as part of the digital booklet included in the download code.

https://artisticintegrityrecords.bandcamp.com/

that is awesome.  definitely checking out these releases