Topshelf Records Cassette Subscription Series

I don't post in the Cassette thread much but wanted to share this since it might be interesting for a few of you.

We’ve been asked a lot over the years about offering a label subscription of some kind — and, while this doesn’t address that specifically, we’re very pleased to have put together something we think is exciting! So we’re announcing a cassette subscription series today.

Comprised of artists from around the world that we think deserve more attention, the series will focus on artists we are sincerely fans of that we feel are making new and exciting sounds that you should be listening to.

While the series is monthly, we do have quarterly and semiannually options as well if the shipping costs for a monthly plan are a bit too daunting for you. All cassettes are available individually in limited quantities as well. Shipments will also include stickers and buttons. Here is what we have planned (more info soon!):

cassette_sub_store.jpg

• January: Jay Som - Turn Into
  • February: Oyama - Coolboy
  • March: Wished Bone - Pseudio Recordings
  • April: YEYEY - The Vision
  • May: Bent Shapes - Wolves of Want
  • June: TBA
  • July: TBA
  • August: TBA
  • September: TBA
  • October: TBA
  • November: TBA
  • December: TBA

PLEASE NOTE: this is currently for people residing in the US only. If you are from outside the United States please email us at orders [at] topshelfrecords [dot] com so we can help you out accordingly. Thanks for understanding!

Subscribe to our 2016 cassette series

If all the tapes are going to be available individually, does buying the subscription offer anything special? Like the BWM one comes with special subscription-only tapes / variants. Is that going to be the case with this as well?

You pay $5.40 per cassette with the semi annual option instead of $9.35 per cassette.  Even if you add 6 cassettes to your cart on their site, it works out to $47.80.  So, a benefit is saving $30.

You pay $5.40 per cassette with the semi annual option instead of $9.35 per cassette.  Even if you add 6 cassettes to your cart on their site, it works out to $47.80.  So, a benefit is saving $30.

I can't tell if you're being snarky or not.

I understand that one of the pluses to subscription deals is saving money. But like I said, BWM is doing special sub-only tapes. No Sleep does the special sub-only variant for their vinyl. I was just curious if that was going to be the case for this as well.

I understand that one of the pluses to subscription deals is saving money. But like I said, BWM is doing special sub-only tapes. No Sleep does the special sub-only variant for their vinyl. I was just curious if that was going to be the case for this as well.

lol i was not intending to be an ass

no, nothing special as far as the packaging / variants goes. We are toying with the idea of making a 13th cassette available that is exclusive to the subscription (or, if not exclusive, it'll be free to subscribers). Subscribers will also get various goodies shipped with their subscription packages (pins and stickers, etc.). But otherwise, nothing else is planned!

lol i was not intending to be an ass

We all good then :)

no, nothing special as far as the packaging / variants goes. We are toying with the idea of making a 13th cassette available that is exclusive to the subscription (or, if not exclusive, it'll be free to subscribers). Subscribers will also get various goodies shipped with their subscription packages (pins and stickers, etc.). But otherwise, nothing else is planned!

Okay thank you! I might just hold off then. Hopefully y'all release some cool tape I can pick up individually later on.

I might just hold off then. Hopefully y'all release some cool tape I can pick up individually later on.

With all respect, these are all cool tapes that are incredible albums in their own right — give 'em a listen! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's not gonna be any "cool" tapes in this series. That's not the point of it. We don't release music because it's cool or what people like or whatever. We work with the artists we do because they're doing something worthwhile. I want to highlight truly great things that fly under the radar with this series. Sorry if this statement seems brash or confrontational — it's just something I'm pretty passionate about. 

With all respect, these are all cool tapes that are incredible albums in their own right — give 'em a listen! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's not gonna be any "cool" tapes in this series. That's not the point of it. We don't release music because it's cool or what people like or whatever. We work with the artists we do because they're doing something worthwhile. I want to highlight truly great things that fly under the radar with this series. Sorry if this statement seems brash or confrontational — it's just something I'm pretty passionate about. 

these are all cool tapes

There's not gonna be any "cool" tapes

Well which one is it? :P (just teasing)

Although I think you misunderstood my use of the word cool. I meant it more as a something that peaks my interest. I'm sure they're all doing something worthwhile, I mean you're putting it out on a physical release, but that doesn't mean everyone is going to enjoy it. It happens. If you put out something that I enjoy / think is "cool" I'll pick up a copy. Sorry for the confusion.

And like YouBlewIt!'s album title says: Keep Doing What You're Doing