The Hotelier - Goodness

dvv

Listened through once and I have to say it sounds wonderful. I'm sure it'll grow on me even more once I have the records and lyrics. Although I have to say I miss the cathartic, angry moments from Home. I don't think I'll ever find music that hit me as hard as the last  minute of Introduction to the Album and Dendron.

Pretty cool read. It took me a while to realize the writer was referring to Holden using "they" and "their".  It kept confusing the heck out of me until I realized what they were doing. First time I've seen anyone referred too/written about in that way. Pretty cool. 

The album is awesome. I was pretty worried that I might not like it cause the singles didn't seem to have that cathartic aggression that hits super hard like they did with Home. But this thing is so beautiful. Just an entire different beast. I totally think Holden and the band nailed it when they tried to give it an uneasy/off balanced feel. I think that's the perfect way to describe it. Just an off balanced and open beauty. There is something special about the music these guys make. I haven't really been able to connect with any music the past couple years. There's been a lot of great stuff that I've enjoyed. But these guys, it's just like, FUCK, ya know? 

2 minutes ago, BigSeth said:

Pretty cool read. It took me a while to realize the writer was referring to Holden using "they" and "their".  It kept confusing the heck out of me until I realized what they were doing. First time I've seen anyone referred too/written about in that way. Pretty cool. 

The album is awesome. I was pretty worried that I might not like it cause the singles didn't seem to have that cathartic aggression that hits super hard like they did with Home. But this thing is so beautiful. Just an entire different beast. I totally think Holden and the band nailed it when they tried to give it an uneasy/off balanced feel. I think that's the perfect way to describe it. Just an off balanced and open beauty. There is something special about the music these guys make. I haven't really been able to connect with any music the past couple years. There's been a lot of great stuff that I've enjoyed. But these guys, it's just like, FUCK, ya know? 

Those are gender neutral pronouns. Not that uncommon now.

ive been lucky to sit with this record for about a month (really sorry bearchuck), and its really cool to read more of the process behind the songs, the manipulation of the sonic spaces.  also about how they were able to do the shoot and how it was free and then to see it in the teaser/goodness pt 1 video was  a nice way to encapsulate the vibe of the artwork.

to me, this record takes the most captivating riffs and structures from Home, really expanding on the compositions and yet retaining that heart skip moment the combination of the chords and christians vocals give you. i get a very americana vibe on some of the tracks, a lot of the "verse" passages evoke that same feel good beat that hasnt really shown up before in this scene. highlights for me would be Two Deliverances, Opening Mail, and End of Reel. 

id definitely say this album warrants repeat listens, it has so many little pockets of melodies and grooves and flourishes that you find yourself thinking of at the most random times.  im really happy that everything in the universe aligned so far as to allow this album to be created and released in such a way that it will reach a lot of people. :)

Edited by shawnayala90

16 hours ago, texan4life said:

http://www.stereogum.com/featured/anarchy-in-worcester-mass/

Kind of long but a good read nonetheless. 

Great read. The only part that worries me is how much creative control Christian has in the band. The whole band mentioned their disagreements in the article. Just hope it doesn't lead to animosity and tension.

19 hours ago, parkinglot said:

but seriously the best part of settle the scar 

being on this record is that some shitty annoying modern baseball song doesn't come on immediately after.  

This record solidified The Hotelier being one of like 3 bands in this hyped "emo-revival" collective that I can still stand listening to without constant groaning. Death to Modern Baseball.

11 hours ago, shawnayala90 said:

ive been lucky to sit with this record for about a month (really sorry bearchuck),

A pox upon your house, sir.

Actually, I don't care.  As long as you didn't share with like, 100 of your friends, we're good.  But if that's the case, a pox upon all your houses!

57 minutes ago, bearchuck said:

Actually, I don't care.  As long as you didn't share with like, 100 of your friends, we're good.  But if that's the case, a pox upon all your houses!

I actually did share this with 100 of my closest friends, but they coincidentally are Amish setters, so they quickly fashioned a barn around my demond voice maker, then proceeded to burn it down.  We're still laughing about the whole thing.  Me more so than the others, because I helped build the barn, and did not fully fit the mortice & tenons.  

37 minutes ago, gutzonborglum said:

I actually did share this with 100 of my closest friends, but they coincidentally are Amish setters, so they quickly fashioned a barn around my demond voice maker, then proceeded to burn it down.  We're still laughing about the whole thing.  Me more so than the others, because I helped build the barn, and did not fully fit the mortice & tenons.  

I only care that you didn't share it with me. But I do appreciate you not pulling a drewberringer and rubbing it in all our faces at the first chance you got!

10 hours ago, bearchuck said:

nah, i just quietly enjoyed it myself.  def didnt wanna ruin the surprise of this record!