Kanye West - The Life of Pablo

nardes

Fine. But his whole schtick is copping the 808 vibe.

This is probably the best argument in defense of 808s, he did have success shortly after between Kanye and Lil Wayne that sound got big for a couple years, and ushered in a genertion of soft, rappers like that pedo Tyga. So I guess we can thank Kanye for that. I did like everything before 808s, but I've always been more into his production than rapping.

Site full of manchildren obsessed with cookie cutter carbon copy pop punk hates on genius artists like Radiohead and Kanye West

Color me shocked!

Kanye as a lyricist is mediocre at best (he has gotten better but he still has many times when I cringe at some of the wording he spits out) especially now that his top ghost writer just recently left his side because he is batshit crazy. If you value artistry over "cookie cutter" there are endless artists that absolutely annihilate him lyrically. Kanye was, is and probably will continue to be a legend producer though, I will say that. Also, most people I know who listen to hip hop do not like the 808 Kanye at all. Sure, it is undeniable it was a huge influence on music but imo in a horrible way. Most people who had success using it are mostly artists I do not appreciate anyways so while some may consider it a game changing classic album others will like myself will call it another mediocre Kanye album. One thing I will say is he does jump all over the place musically never getting too comfortable in one style which is great to see any artist do but it does not make them any more special if most of that material is mediocre.

If you love Kanye to death and he is the best thing in the world to you then that is all good and dandy but that is def. not the only way to feel about the guy.

Kanye as a lyricist is mediocre at best (he has gotten better but he still has many times when I cringe at some of the wording he spits out) especially now that his top ghost writer just recently left his side because he is batshit crazy. If you value artistry over "cookie cutter" there are endless artists that absolutely annihilate him lyrically. Kanye was, is and probably will continue to be a legend producer though, I will say that. Also, most people I know who listen to hip hop do not like the 808 Kanye at all. Sure, it is undeniable it was a huge influence on music but imo in a horrible way. Most people who had success using it are mostly artists I do not appreciate anyways so while some may consider it a game changing classic album others will like myself will call it another mediocre Kanye album. One thing I will say is he does jump all over the place musically never getting too comfortable in one style which is great to see any artist do but it does not make them any more special if most of that material is mediocre.

If you love Kanye to death and he is the best thing in the world to you then that is all good and dandy but that is def. not the only way to feel about the guy.

Hit the nail on the head. The only thing I'd argue is that I think he's gotten WORSE as a lyricist, not better.

I got broads in London....

Still kinda like this album.  Into my wishing well- Kanye just does a nicely mastered 24-bit release of all of his albums.

I did notice Watch the Throne  is now on HDTracks... likely it's the same master (in 24-bit) as the CD/digital releases.  It was with John Legend's last album.  Idk why labels do that... lazy and a missed opportunity.

Hit the nail on the head. The only thing I'd argue is that I think he's gotten WORSE as a lyricist, not better.

I def. agree with that actually but I remember when he was dropping mixtapes and people were mistaking him for kayne, at that point he was pretty bad lyrically but his beats were incredible. He then got quite a bit better for a few albums and then lost anything he learned from hanging out/working with common, mos, talib and all them I guess.

A great example on this new album is "Father stretch my hands", starts off as a potential classic for the first minute and I am loving it until I suddenly hear him spit this...

"Now if I f**k this model

And she just bleached her asshole

And I get bleach on my T-shirt

I’mma feel like an asshole"

Those lines are actually fairly genius if you stop to think about it. In the year 2016, I really can't think of any word that rhymes with "asshole" better than "asshole". I've scoured lists and exhausted vocabulary, and I challenge you to do the same.

Aside from being a perfect match for syllables and flow, the use of "asshole" is specifically two-fold in the verse: it acts as a figurative, anatomical asshole (anus, noun) in the second line, and as a deplorable individual (jerk, adjective) in the fourth.

The use of the word "bleach" in lines 2 and 3 may initially seem redundant and uninspired in such close proximity, but this is clearly Kanye's craft in full swing: "bleach" gets used as a verb and a noun, back to back, because the mastermind wants to drive home the imagery. Bleach is here. Bleach is now.

Perfect rhyme scheme and two double meanings in the same verse? It's true when Kanye said this wasn't album of the year, but album of the life. Fuck.

I got broads in London....

Still kinda like this album. Into my wishing well- Kanye just does a nicely mastered 24-bit release of all of his albums.

I did notice Watch the Throne is now on HDTracks... likely it's the same master (in 24-bit) as the CD/digital releases. It was with John Legend's last album. Idk why labels do that... lazy and a missed opportunity.

Pretty sure he says I get broads in Atlanta

I agree I really only listen to Kanye for the production.  If I wanna listen to some rap/hip hop for the lyrics I'll listen to some Immortal Technique or Ja Rule or something.

I only really got into Kanye after listening to MBDTF and it's really hard to work backwards and try to get into his older stuff from there.