Kanye West - The Life of Pablo

nardes

1 hour ago, Reshiram454 said:

Well, after a bunch of listens, I think this is his worst project.

Yeah, I've been playing this around this house all day, and it just comes off as his weakest work. I mean through the process of elimination most people say that Yeezus or 808's is his worst album (though I argue that it's TLoP). The dude needs to make up with Rhymefest so he can actually have some decent lines again because there wasn't one that stood out to me at all. I remember some double entendre about cum/come and then there is that line about he no longer takes advice from people less successful than him. Other than that, despite listening to this album a handful of times, I don't remember much about it. I do know that Ghost Town was suppose to be on the Kids See Ghost album according to this twitter post so hopefully that album has a little more work put towards it https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/996463788231610368. Though, the only track that made it from the whiteboard was "Don't Leave"-- though there are only really two songs on the board "Extacy" and "Don't Leave". 

Edited by PookdaddyG

4 hours ago, museummouth said:

It sounds like b-sides to TLOP

I thought the same thing.   After a couple more listens, I change my opinion from 'meh' to 'neh'.  It's bad... the "rhymes" and the beats.   It's like someone told him to make an album in a week.  I think it's been a downward slide since MBDTF.  I think he thinks anything he shits out is gold.  For one of the best producers in the world those 'beats' are just sad.   I'm kind of glad I wasn't invited to the listening party.

I felt like there was more talking on this than rapping or singing but I liked it for what it was, which I think it was Kanye dealing with some serious personal/ mental trauma. He wasn't afraid to say what he felt in the moments he was feeling it and I like that. He wasn't trying to make a 'definitive' album, he made an album entirely of the moment and he really provoked a lot of people, and nobody can deny that Kanye has the power to provoke thought and conflict more than any other artists these days. 

1 hour ago, CatsNJazz said:

I felt like there was more talking on this than rapping or singing but I liked it for what it was, which I think it was Kanye dealing with some serious personal/ mental trauma. He wasn't afraid to say what he felt in the moments he was feeling it and I like that. He wasn't trying to make a 'definitive' album, he made an album entirely of the moment and he really provoked a lot of people, and nobody can deny that Kanye has the power to provoke thought and conflict more than any other artists these days. 

thats fair. but at the same time, its not that great of an album. Its under developed. 3 songs here sound pretty great (All Mine, No Mistakes, Ghost Town). But hes been an artist that jumps ahead with every album. This one sounds pretty static in the Pablo sound and because of that, it falls short because these just don't stack up even to the worst tracks on Pablo. 

Talking about his mental illness is brave, but I feel like he says very little about it. Also, theres only 2-3 great Kanye lines on this. Most of them are pretty meh. 

All the lead up bullshit aside, I was let down from this project. 

As absurd as it sounds, I think Kanye has transcended real albums and therefore this is what I expect from Kanye these days. He has nothing left to prove and therefore he'll never release anything in the vain of his first 5 records. MBDTF was a comeback record that propelled him to the entity he is today and honestly I think he's done with albums of that magnitude. Sure, he can release killer tracks here and there and spit a good rhyme, but he's done that. It seems like he's ready to move past music and go into other avenues such as clothing, products, etc. It just sucks for us fans of his music because his vision isn't ours.

I mean, he's released 3 solo albums since MBDTF, a record with Jay, a GOOD music comp and produced and executive produced several albums. He's not done with music. But If you are getting at whether or not we'll see albums as focused and big as those first 5, I tend to agree, but I think thats more of a musical aesthetic choice and he's entitled to it. 

I also think MBDTF is less of a comeback and more of peak but its impossible to go higher than perfect, so it is what it is. 

Edited by timsimmons

What bugs me about this album is that Ye's talking about things that happened in the last month, when he's been working on this album for how long? So instead of making an amazing 7 song album from the 2 years of music you've compiled, you took music you made within a month and released it? It seems like Kanye feels he doesn't really need to try anymore cause everything he does it great, or so he thinks. I agree that No Mistakes, Ghost Town are amazing, but everything else I don't really think are that great in comparison to his other songs. Like most of you said, some of the lesser songs on Pablo are better than these. I listened to it a couple times last night with the mindset of seeing it as an album instead of a Kanye album, and I think it's a good album, but at the end of a day it's a mediocre Kanye album.

On 6/1/2018 at 3:04 PM, floyd_z said:

Also, did he give all the good beats to Push?  These are weak.

Yeah, I find myself listening to DAYTONA and the new Black Thought more than this. I'm just not drawn to it, I feel like I have to force myself to go back and listen to it again. Though I HATED TLOP the first few times I listened to it and then eventually fell in love with it, so I'm going to give it some more time.

I saw an interview with Ye at his listening party and he basically said what we have all been speculating.  He basically scrapped everything he has been working on and made this album in the last few weeks.  He felt a lot of energy after the TMZ shit and wanted to make an album out of it.   

Pitchfork gave it a 7.1 LOL

9 minutes ago, floyd_z said:

I saw an interview with Ye at his listening party and he basically said what we have all been speculating.  He basically scrapped everything he has been working on and made this album in the last few weeks.  He felt a lot of energy after the TMZ shit and wanted to make an album out of it.   

Everyone hates me except MAGA chuds, this seems like an energy I should use for an album. That will surely appeal to the masses

10 minutes ago, floyd_z said:

Is that a bad thing that he made the album in a few weeks?