IT'S LIT XD: A Legitimate Ban Discussion

Derek™

I'm not posting this for laughs.

I'm not trying to gain cool-guy cred.

And I'm not saying names.

But.

VC is plagued.

And it has been for the past few weeks.  Dramatic?  Maybe a bit.  But I think this thread supersedes most of your typical VC squandering and complaining.  The fact that I won't be explicitly stating who or what I'm airing my grievances over – and yet still have 90% of recently-active VC participants know exactly what I'm talking about – should speak volumes about the issue at hand.  If the topic title wasn't a firm-enough hint, I have no doubt that it'll be pieced together by anyone who finishes reading this post.

I've seen a lot of assholes on Vinyl Collective over the years.  (And I'm not saying that I'm not one, myself, on occasion.  Or that I don't associate with them.)  I'm talking about users who have laughs at the expense of others, religiously.  People with zero "community" etiquette.  Blatant flippers.  Trolls who live just to piss on an otherwise enjoyable hype-thread.  The list goes on.  They're unfortunate, but they're walks of life on the internet.  And barring the occasionally heated quarrel and shit-fest that ensues when they're called out, they aren't detrimental to the forums.

But lately I can't frequent any thread without stumbling across a particular kind of bullshit.  I fail to see see how a previously banned member is able to rejoin and go on a post rampage without any sort of intervention.  This isn't me calling out the moderators – they're not oblivious to what's going on, nor are they dropping the ball.  I would assume they just feel as though they don't have grounds to take out the trash, necessarily.  Which is the point of this discussion.

When VC left Proboards, there was a sort of buzz in the air that came with the acknowledgement that we were our own community.  We had our own ruleset that allowed more flexibility than what Proboards limited us to.  But even more important than relishing the opportunity to post T&A, I feel like the forums should be looking to exercise their authority in a fashion that makes the community a better place for all of its participants.  This isn't me pitching a no rules! fuck the system! rant.  Quite contrary to that, actually.  Obviously there has to be order, and the moderators can't run around banning everyone they find annoying or disagree with.  I get that.  But the main admin of Vinyl Collective seems to have zero say in what happens on this board, and I don't think it's unrealistic for moderators to carry out what's in the best interest for the forum.

If admins banned users for being annoying and worthless there would be like 6 people on these boards.

This is completely true.  And like I mentioned above – it's pretty easy to just roll my eyes or add someone to an ignore list when they feel like stirring shit or being an obnoxious asshole.  But when it's one user in every.  Fucking.  Thread... I can't handle it.  One user who – for all I know – is trying to prove a point by accruing as many senseless posts as possible.  Popping into threads they have zero interest, just to get their posts plastered on the boards, I guess.  It clutters everything up.  Badly.  This same user passively baits those of us who want to have actual discussions, often posting the most inane drivel and completely irrelevant horse shit for a reaction.  They are actively ignored by the vast majority of us who've caught on to the game being played, but that doesn't help with threads being bumped for literally no reason.  There is zero reason that anyone should pop into another user's WTB thread just to post "lol I've never heard this but I just bought it on Discogs because that album art is lit fam".  That's straight-up trolling.  It's unnecessary.  It's obnoxious.  It's got to go.

On stricter forums I've been a part of, there were rules against incessant posting.  Users were warned, temp-banned, or permanently kicked from the community for "spamming" and blatantly mucking up the forums just to raise their post count and increase their presence.  I'm not sure why the first iteration of this user was banned, but it needs to happen.  Again.  And again, if need be.  Bring their IP into the formula if need be.

I really don't think this thread is me getting nasty or taking things too personally, and I know I'm not alone when I say that I'm completely exhausted seeing garbage posts around the clock.  I frequent some pretty obscure threads that don't get a lot of bumps, and still find myself subjected to this filth on a daily basis.  I can't even imagine what other corners of the forum their trash-posts have permeated already.  I don't if there's anything that can be done.  It doesn't seem as simple as making a poll to determine what sort of movement is behind a theoretical ban, but I've talked to a lot users who've confessed they're sick and fucking tired of it.  I guess I'm just the first one to make a thread about it.

Please eradicate the issue here.  Or at least acknowledge it.

Thanks.

I'm just going to say, there have been plenty of users in the past that "pad their post count" - at least "he who will remain unnamed" is not being a jerk when he posts. Or does he say harsh things? Am I missing that? 

I mean, there is a Small Talk Thread that used to be named "AKA get to 1000 posts" lol

I'm just going to say, there have been plenty of users in the past that "pad their post count" - at least "he who will remain unnamed" is not being a jerk when he posts. Or does he say harsh things? Am I missing that? 

I mean, there is a Small Talk Thread that used to be named "AKA get to 1000 posts" lol

I completely understand that a lot of VC threads are rollercoasters that devolve into jokes and short quips, and that's one reason I don't keep up with the Small Talk thread – it's housed for something like that.  I turn my back and its accrued 20 pages of "lol" and one-lined banter.  There's nothing wrong with that, but I can acknowledge that it's not for me, and that I have neither the time or energy to constantly check into it.  But just like you said, it specifically stated that it was for the purpose of bloating post counts and shooting the shit, right in the title.  It has a place, and that's fine.

But when it leaks into the rest of the forums?  That's where it gets really old, really fast.  This user isn't specifically being lewd, but they're trying pretty hard to be in the spotlight at all times.  It becomes tiring to see good threads bumped only to discover they felt like posting some idiocy followed by an iOS emoji, and then three more posts calling him out on it.  The whole community is getting better at just ignoring him, but that just cements the point of that thread – if an entire forum has to adapt to bullshit posts, what point do those bullshit posts serve?  Are they relevant to anyone's interest or anything informative?

I don't know, man.  I've seen a lot of users who feel the need to post a lot in short time frames, too, but nothing quite as frustrating or ridiculous as this.  Maybe that's just me, but I do get the impression I'm not really alone in that regard.

"There is zero reason that anyone should pop into another user's WTB thread just to post "lol I've never heard this but I just bought it on Discogs because that album art is lit fam".  That's straight-up trolling.  It's unnecessary.  It's obnoxious.  It's got to go."

That was my final straw with that. I'm honestly still a little shocked by the audacity of that. Honestly, the worst part is that I brought it saying how I wanted to buy a copy, then said user goes to buy the album without even listening, then posts in my WTB thread that he got it. Come the fuck on.

That, along with the constant bumping of nothing.

I don't understand why the user had their first account, they get suspended for 2 weeks, come back, they get banned, start another account, amplify the bullshit x 10, and are posting more than ever, only to stay.

Can we get some moderation?

Derek & Kevin. I know exactly who the one individual being referred to is and I'm in full agreement. Jared & I have pretty much complete run of the boards and can decide at any given time who gets suspended and banned without prejudice or intervention from the head cheeses.

Initially the person in question was just annoying and padding their post count with useless and meaningless posts. That gets really under my skin as it shows that they're not any sort of contributing member to the community. The same can be said for plenty others in Small Talk. If you want to post every mundane and minutiae thought that tumbles through your head, take it to your FB or Twitter. Stop wasting board space and people's time.

I truly want to take a harder stance on this type of useless "contribution" and trolling by some people, but it seems that often enough when we do, a few veteran VCers bust out their pitchforks and take a complete anti-Mods aggression.

You demand that we do our job and clean things up around here but when we do, y'all get pissed at us anyways.

What I don't get is why the same (large) handful of people here who are regulars and for the most part positive contributors to the website give the troll a reaction almost every fucking time by saying shit like "fuck off" in response to their posts.  Just fucking block them or ignore it, because you're only making it worse.

As for the Small Talk thread, it's kind of weird but it doesn't bother me because it's only one thread and at least it keeps the pointless posts in one thread.  And I'm not saying all the "small talk" is stupid, but a lot of the posts are so fucking pointless.

Derek & Kevin. I know exactly who the one individual being referred to is and I'm in full agreement. Jared & I have pretty much complete run of the boards and can decide at any given time who gets suspended and banned without prejudice or intervention from the head cheeses.

Initially the person in question was just annoying and padding their post count with useless and meaningless posts. That gets really under my skin as it shows that they're not any sort of contributing member to the community. The same can be said for plenty others in Small Talk. If you want to post every mundane and minutiae thought that tumbles through your head, take it to your FB or Twitter. Stop wasting board space and people's time.

I truly want to take a harder stance on this type of useless "contribution" and trolling by some people, but it seems that often enough when we do, a few veteran VCers bust out their pitchforks and take a complete anti-Mods aggression.

You demand that we do our job and clean things up around here but when we do, y'all get pissed at us anyways.

There's truth to the quote in my initial post, regarding moderators taking things into their own hands, and I also understand that nothing you do will please 100% of everyone on the boards.  That's just impossible.  I guess what I'm inquiring about is the possibility of a general consensus of sorts.  If a given user is flagged hard enough and it's unanimously agreed that they're being more than a mere nuisance to just a handful of people, can an action be voted on or publicly discussed?  That seems a lot more fair than just dumping the responsibility on a moderator and asking them to "deal with it".

What I don't get is why the same handful of people here who are regulars and for the most part positive contributors to the website give the troll a reaction almost every fucking time by saying shit like "fuck off" in response to their posts.  Just fucking block them or ignore it, because you're only making it worse.

Most people have caught on to ignoring said posts, and the only ones who feed into them or even acknowledge their existence are newcomers, users are promoting their label, etc.  I would argue that most "vets" are treating the issue as if it doesn't exist, which is honestly the best course of action for the time being.

Like Juan and I both said, though, it's just a waste of space and time.  It gets really old to see an interesting thread bumped – one that would otherwise be enjoyable or worth reading from its normal occupants – just to find the same pointless shit, again and again.  And again.  And again.  There's nothing clever, informational, or even interesting to be gained.  It's just pushing threads for literally no reason, and it's completely unnecessary for the entire forum to "deal with it" and ignore a slew of posts because one individual gets off on seeing their avatar everywhere.

Can we get about a dozen more bans while we are at it? 

There are definitely others that the forum would be better off without, but they're just not as vehemently cluttering up every thread I turn to.  I can think of a few users who are completely negative pricks that I personally see no benefit to keeping around, but for the most part they're just sour in a thread here and there, every other week.  I can't be the only one who's legitimately fed up with trying to navigate the forums and sift through meaningless posts all morning.  It's got to the point where I'm just checking VC in the evening and hoping that a friend or two will text me if any pertinent POs pop up during the day.

Most people have caught on to ignoring said posts, and the only ones who feed into them or even acknowledge their existence are newcomers, users are promoting their label, etc.  I would argue that most "vets" are treating the issue as if it doesn't exist, which is honestly the best course of action for the time being.

Like Juan and I both said, though, it's just a waste of space and time.  It gets really old to see an interesting thread bumped – one that would otherwise be enjoyable or worth reading from its normal occupants – just to find the same pointless shit, again and again.  And again.  And again.  There's nothing clever, informational, or even interesting to be gained.  It's just pushing threads for literally no reason, and it's completely unnecessary for the entire forum to "deal with it" and ignore a slew of posts because one individual gets off on seeing their avatar everywhere.

I have no issue with banning the user(s) at fault here.  And I'm not on here too often anymore, so the people I was referring to probably have started to ignore the troll, I just may not have noticed.  

I'm not bothered by it so much, there's another user that posts much less, but nearly every post is purely idiotic and antagonistic, I'd be happy to see him go. Maybe he's already banned, I haven't noticed him in a while, come to think of it.

Anyway. Juan, you're totally right. My suggestion is that when the COMMUNITY is calling for action, you put it in their hands. Temporarily ban the user, call a vote as to whether or not to permanently ban. If he is saved by the vote then delete the voting thread and let him back in.

I'm all for any and all suggestions to deal with any one and all people that are a nuisance and useless around here. I'm only a PM away. Or if needs to be public outing, so be it.

I only made this thread to ensure I wasn't the only one who's reached his threshold.  If I'm being melodramatic and everyone else is totally cool with ignoring countless posts and thread-bumps, so be it.  I'll suck it up and figure it out.  But a platform for others to speak up seemed to make a lot more sense than me PMing you or Rambo and simply saying "hey, this user is no good and I think they should be banned."

Anyway. Juan, you're totally right. My suggestion is that when the COMMUNITY is calling for action, you put it in their hands. Temporarily ban the user, call a vote as to whether or not to permanently ban. If he is saved by the vote then delete the voting thread and let him back in.

I could probably erase my first post and just paste this in its place.  Very well said.  I didn't mean to make this thread sound like a whine-fest pertaining to why I, personally, dislike one user.  But if there's any kind of general momentum to deal with the issue, it'd be cool to see the forum collaborate for a solution.

I think you're being very level headed about it, Derek. It's nice to see some rational discussion of hot button issues.

I appreciate that.  The concept of this thread was a joke on paper, and there were at least 2-3 moments where I contemplated on closing the tab and just trying to move on.  But every day that passes, I find myself wondering if interest will wane and the spam will subside... but it only seems to be getting worse.  I guess it felt necessary.

FTFY :)

;)

Yes and yes.  But that dude is a perfect example – he only frequents a few threads and he hardly signs in.  As shitty as his contributions are, I can easily go a week without having to read them.  And they're uninitiated, at that: a raised brow will shake the hornet's nest, but left to his own devices he's not plastering the forum with bullshit.  The latter I find to be way more frustrating, personally.