IT'S LIT XD: A Legitimate Ban Discussion

Derek™

im out of the loop i guess. what does the XD stand for in the title?

It's a face. XD

Also, small talk thread is fine and I have made many friends through it, some I talk to daily. I wouldn't post here for weeks at a time if it wasn't for small talk, we have many diverse conversations, some use it to vent when they have nowhere else, me included and the support gotten from there is nice. Juan, you have vented there before. It's not a useless drivel thread. Some of us like it more than the rest of the boards. I don't have random users being a dick to me for asking a question or giving an opinion in there.

I'd be fully satisfied with something as simple as a mechanic that allows me to 100% block someone. No "click here to read anyway," no having someone else quote the person's post so I end up seeing it anyway. Just a full nuclear option where I can not have to see anything that a user I block posts. I imagine that's more of a server thing than a mod thing though, so call it a pipe dream.

Can we maybe just make a filter to change every time anyone posts "it's lit fam!" to something more appropriate? Like..."I have nothing of value to add to this conversation please ignore me"

In regards to useless & meaningless postings in ST and everywhere else on the boards, I always think back to a line of dialogue from The Social Network:

"It didn't stop you from writing it. As if every thought that tumbles through your head was so clever it would be a crime for it not to be shared. The Internet's not written in pencil, Mark, it's written in ink. And you published that... You write your snide bullshit from a dark room because that's what the angry do nowadays. I was nice to you, don't torture me for it."

In regards to useless & meaningless postings in ST and everywhere else on the boards, I always think back to a line of dialogue from The Social Network:

"It didn't stop you from writing it. As if every thought that tumbles through your head was so clever it would be a crime for it not to be shared. The Internet's not written in pencil, Mark, it's written in ink. And you published that... You write your snide bullshit from a dark room because that's what the angry do nowadays. I was nice to you, don't torture me for it."

I would be happy if ST just talked about music a little more often. I don't mind the randomness, since that's what it is there for. But there is a line as we have discussed. More music talks instead of daily updates about what record you're getting, where it is in the mail, opening it, then flipping later (you know who I'm referring to).

I recommend people make use of the ignore feature if they do not like seeing my posts. (I use it and it works!) 

It is not my intention to anger or "troll" anybody on this site.

I wish only to share my love of music/food/video games with those who are willing to do the same with me.

this guy is the new zayzay, but way worse

At least Zay was entertaining.

I agree with everything that has been said. I just looked into one of the forums on here and 6/15 threads I glanced at were last replied by one person.

If I'm not mistaken Small Talk was originally created to declutter the derailing of many other threads. Did it fully do this, no, but it helped in some ways. I always thought the AKA get 1,000 posts part of the title was a joke, but some people took it very seriously. I like Small Talk, its good to talk to people, meet people, make friends. I've expanded my musical tastes because of it and got some great advice. 

Something should be done about users flooding threads they have no reasonable contribution to. It has gotten very annoying lately.

I recommend people make use of the ignore feature if they do not like seeing my posts. (I use it and it works!)

I wish only to share my love of music/food/video games with those who are willing to do the same with me.

dmlpokxddethm8ozsddl.jpg

THua3iQuHfw4g.gif

ok but for real tho small talk is probably the most positive and supportive thread on this entire forum. not exactly sure how that quote fits the bill there. its kinda pointless to bring up small talk all the time as if its the root cause of all the issues users face here.

anyway, i think getting a better block system would be awesome. i often unblock people bc the "do you want to view anyway" thing makes it more obvious when someone i dont want to see/talk to is posting

I don't know why you always shit on small talk when I recall you pretty actively posting all your mundane thoughts in there along with everyone else.

I used to post WAY more often, and I'll admit some of, maybe even a lot of, those posts were kinda worthless.

Once I realized what I was going, I slowed down by a lot, and after I did that, I started to see it in (the aforementioned) others on the board. So I can back this post.

I also want to say +1 for small talk defenders--I don't use it as much as I used to, but I rarely see it as toxic and the good / supportive times outweigh the negative by a lot.

Hope I don't get on anyone's nerves anymore / as of late. I recognize how hard it can be to get along with a teenager, especially in an online setting.

Isn't there a block/ignore option?

There is, but several people have stated (several times over) why it's still a massive pain in the dick. If a large group of users are being asked to adjust their ignore preferences on account of one user, I'd say there's a considerably valid issue with said user. Tweaking the ebb and flow of the forums to accommodate just one persistent case of tomfuckery makes zero sense to me, personally.

I get what you are saying, I do. But that's the whole point of the ignore function. Just don't look at it. Sounds like the people who are blocking said user are still curious on what he has to say. Otherwise, ignore.

I dunno, I guess I just don't see the need for pitchforks and torches.

I get what you are saying, I do. But that's the whole point of the ignore function. Just don't look at it. Sounds like the people who are blocking said user are still curious on what he has to say. Otherwise, ignore.

I dunno, I guess I just don't see the need for pitchforks and torches.

The issue isn't even what trivial garbage they're posting – that can be ignored easily enough.  It's the constant bumping, flooding, and seeing the name + avatar as last post in every other thread.  Any post that gets quoted, too, is completely readable.

If there was a magic button or preference that completely erased all traces of this problem, I wouldn't have made this thread to begin with.  I'm all for tuning out shitty users on VC, but the problem with this one is that their content and replies are just plastered everywhere.  All the time.  It's just relentless, and that's what my biggest complaint is.  Despite how much I dislike the user, if they limited their posts to < 10 a day and tried to be constructive, I'd be fine with it.  But they're averaging something close to 20 posts a day - on this account - and it's all worthless.