PO: M83 - Junk

"I didn’t want to do just a ballad album, or just a pop album. I wanted to follow my heart, and my heart was telling me to try and mix all the styles of different music together. The album is different because I wanted it that way. All of my albums always start with some kind of piano ballad that grows and grows, but for once I wanted to put all the bigger songs first, and have the more tender side of the album later. That was quite a change for me. It’s a crazy album, but I like that. I like diversity. I like eclecticism. It’s very important to surprise the listener, and that’s what I wanted to do, and what I’ll keep doing. I feel like a lot of people are expecting me to release ‘Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming’ #2, but there’s no way I’m going to do that. I’m not interested. I’ve done it. I wanted to explore new things and this collection of songs works together because I hope the fans are still going to find ‘my sound’ in the songs; it’s not completely gone, just there in a different form."

http://diymag.com/2016/04/07/m83-i-was-obviously-happy-about-the-success-but-also-mad

Not an awful album by any means.  I like it but I do feel let down as a whole.  Most of their albums have been near perfect but with this one, some tracks don't flow too well with me and way too many interludes.  I think it's more of a length issue, since it's been 5 years since the last album I would have loved more tracks but it's all good.  My only other quarrel was i wanted more ballads like Oblivion and Solitude is the closest to that and Do It, Try It is the most energetic song on the album compared to the others. I'll have to listen to it more but this is a lot better than most of the releases that came out this year.

Not an awful album by any means.  I like it but I do feel let down as a whole.  Most of their albums have been near perfect but with this one, some tracks don't flow too well with me and way too many interludes.  I think it's more of a length issue, since it's been 5 years since the last album I would have loved more tracks but it's all good.  My only other quarrel was i wanted more ballads like Oblivion and Solitude is the closest to that and Do It, Try It is the most energetic song on the album compared to the others. I'll have to listen to it more but this is a lot better than most of the releases that came out this year.

why are people downvoting this? lmao

I liked the album a lot, a nice change of pace all around. 

Yeah. IDK. It's super hard to judge. I'd say I am more floating between a 6-7, but as I said, When I want to listen to m83, this is the last album I'd put on.

I can't see myself ever listening to it past the next few days/weeks.

Even that 7 is just me trying my hardest to like an album from a band that in my opinion has been one of the greatest bands of the past decade.

I think had HUWD not been so successful, we would be listening to a much better record right now.

Just my two cents.

Let the reviews flow! Polarizing album we have here.

http://www.avclub.com/review/m83-back-save-universe-234592   

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/album-review-m83-junk/

Here's everything in one place, currently has an aggregated score of 69%

http://www.metacritic.com/music/junk/m83