PO: M83 - Junk

Yeah. IDK. It's super hard to judge. I'd say I am more floating between a 6-7, but as I said, When I want to listen to m83, this is the last album I'd put on.

I can't see myself ever listening to it past the next few days/weeks.

Even that 7 is just me trying my hardest to like an album from a band that in my opinion has been one of the greatest bands of the past decade.

I think had HUWD not been so successful, we would be listening to a much better record right now.

Just my two cents.

How could you claim to be a huge m83 fan and then criticize this album so much?  This is an album Anthony made for himself like I mentioned before the great parts of the album are truly mesmerizing.  Even though it's not their best album it's still better than the debut.  And a weak M83 album is still a good album.

why are people downvoting this? lmao

I liked the album a lot, a nice change of pace all around. 

Who knows? There was someone on reddit who really summed up the album.  It has its imperfections at moments and can be frustrating but the good parts are not just good they're excellent.  A lot better than most of the stuff I heard this year.  

How could you claim to be a huge m83 fan and then criticize this album so much?  

This is an album Anthony made for himself.

Pretty sure you are answering your own question.

Just because Im a big fan doesnt mean they can do no wrong. 

I do think the album has strong points, but no, their debut is much stronger in my opinion. 

I like m83 for the shoegaze, cinematic style. 

Not for the cheesy synth pop band they are turning into.  

Pretty sure you are answering your own question.

Just because Im a big fan doesnt mean they can do no wrong. 

I do think the album has strong points, but no, their debut is much stronger in my opinion. 

I like m83 for the shoegaze, cinematic style. 

Not for the cheesy synth pop band they are turning into.  

M83 has always been about nostalgic sounds and theyre taking the sound further with the new album. It doesn't live up to expectations but its very well made. And thats makes them better than other bands because each album has an identity. Calvin Harris is an example of turning into cheeesy shitty pop. Like I said, alot of the album sounds great.

Nope I'd say that's not a bad move at all.

Ignorance is bliss right?

I've seen the album art and gave Do It, Try It a fair listen with an open mind... so I can't stick my head completely into the sand, unfortunately.  But this is the first time in a very long time that I've had zero ambition to try out a new album despite completely skepticism.  I just don't know if I can do it.

It's also been years since I've downloaded an upcoming that I haven't pre-ordered already.  I'd feel extra weird.

If this album makes you feel nostalgic then good on you. Does not do that for me. 

Also Calvin Harris has always been cheesy pop. Go listen to I created Disco, his first album. 

You are entitled to like this album. I think its a decline, and a pretty notable one.

I think you're confusing cheesy for funky & happy. Cheesy would mean something cringe inducing and his new shit his garbage but alas this is about M83. You seemed so pessimestic from day one about the album you're ignoring this type of tone is what Anthony wanted and he did a damn good job at it. The vocals are good, the instrumentals are great and the mixing is on par. To assume this is their downfall is naive. He wanted to try something out of his comfort zone and he did a good job at it. Sadly its not what you or some wanted. And it sucks the album doesn't have an effect on you but to call this the beginning of the end is silly and absurd. I wish it was near perfection like the last 4 but I accept it for what it is. Its a concept album and it does what it set out to do. Its like a good director taking on source material that people necessairly are interested but doesn't stop him from making a good movie even though he has tons of better ones. Thats how I see and I enjoy it. Its a shame you cannot but maybe over time you'll respect it due to your claim of being a huge M83 fan. For me M83 is still M83.

I've seen the album art and gave Do It, Try It a fair listen with an open mind... so I can't stick my head completely into the sand, unfortunately.  But this is the first time in a very long time that I've had zero ambition to try out a new album despite completely skepticism.  I just don't know if I can do it.

It's also been years since I've downloaded an upcoming that I haven't pre-ordered already.  I'd feel extra weird.

You should listen to it. Not liking this album wont retroactively ruin past M83 albums for you.

It might not be what most people are looking for out of an M83 record, but musically it's totally competent. 

Bullmoose I am guessing? They said they didn't get the copies till the last minute but I am pissed that they couldn't do one day shipping for preorders

Yeah, losing money on shipping because someone else took longer than expected to get it to them seems reasonable... Oh. Wait...

Yeah, losing money on shipping because someone else took longer than expected to get it to them seems reasonable... Oh. Wait...

When a business promises release date delivery they have to make it up to the customers in some way or they risk losing business. And they got it a day before and shipped it a day late.

When a business promises release date delivery they have to make it up to the customers in some way or they risk losing business. And they got it a day before and shipped it a day late.

Their listings all say "should ship within 48 hours of [release date]," which can mean up to two days after.

Thats what it said but who cares? What is done is done.

It's just a bummer to hear you getting down on probably the best online vinyl retailer there is because they didn't upgrade every order's shipping, losing money in the process, because their shipment arrived later than expected. I know I don't need to stick up for Bullmoose, because everyone else here knows they're awesome, but you irk me pretty regularly, so I'm doing it anyway.

Your complaint comes off as really entitled.

It's just a bummer to hear you getting down on probably the best online vinyl retailer there is because they didn't upgrade every order's shipping, losing money in the process, because their shipment arrived later than expected. I know I don't need to stick up for Bullmoose, because everyone else here knows they're awesome, but you irk me pretty regularly, so I'm doing it anyway.

Your complaint comes off as really entitled.

I could say you irk me as well and its not entitlement at all. I am not saying I won't ever order from them again but I was intitally po'd because I was waiting a long time for it

Is it cheating if I just opt to never listen to this record to maintain the [fairly] respectable ratio of quality music in the M83 catalog?

I'd say give it a listen.  I didn't enjoy it, but I'll probably give at a few more goes out of curiosity.  I find it hard to dismiss a record of a band I like without giving it a few fair chances.  It'll take more than one bad record for me to stop checking out new material from them.

Anyone else have tickets for this current tour? I do.

I was curious and decided to peek at what sets he's been playing this tour: (I added which albums they were from to get a feel for what the tour was like... seems like a good mix!)

Setlist
SHARE SETLIST  

1. Reunion (Hurry Up...)
  2. Do It, Try It (Junk)
  3. Steve McQueen (Hurry Up...)
  4. We Own the Sky (Saturdays=Youth)
  5. Bibi the Dog (Junk)
  6. Solitude (Junk)
  7. Couleurs (Saturdays=Youth)
  8. Walkway Blues (Junk)
  9. OK Pal (Hurry Up...)
  10. Oblivion (Oblivian OST)
  11. Road Blaster (Junk)
  12. Wait (Hurry Up...)
  13. Go! (Junk)
  14. Midnight City (Hurry Up...)
  15. Echoes of Mine (Hurry Up...)
  16. Outro (Hurry Up...)

Encore:
  17. Intro (Hurry Up...)
  18. For the Kids (Junk)
  19. Laser Gun (Junk)

Anyone else have tickets for this current tour? I do.

I was curious and decided to peek at what sets he's been playing this tour: (I added which albums they were from to get a feel for what the tour was like... seems like a good mix!)

Setlist
SHARE SETLIST  

1. Reunion (Hurry Up...)
  2. Do It, Try It (Junk)
  3. Steve McQueen (Hurry Up...)
  4. We Own the Sky (Saturdays=Youth)
  5. Bibi the Dog (Junk)
  6. Solitude (Junk)
  7. Couleurs (Saturdays=Youth)
  8. Walkway Blues (Junk)
  9. OK Pal (Hurry Up...)
  10. Oblivion (Oblivian OST)
  11. Road Blaster (Junk)
  12. Wait (Hurry Up...)
  13. Go! (Junk)
  14. Midnight City (Hurry Up...)
  15. Echoes of Mine (Hurry Up...)
  16. Outro (Hurry Up...)

Encore:

17. Intro (Hurry Up...)
  18. For the Kids (Junk)
  19. Laser Gun (Junk)

Seeing him in Oakland. Thanks for the post! Obviously amped for his older stuff though...