There Will Be Hell Toupée! (The Donald Trump Thread)

2 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

@BuzzersonKillwell is a rapist.

Sure.

At this point, if anyone were having a serious discussion, I'd expect those that agree to present their argument with reliable sources, and those that disagree to present their argument with reliable sources.

Just saying.  At the very least, don't raise a stink about 'PROVE IT' without also in turn being willing to present an argument on your side.

2 minutes ago, daegor said:

Sure.

At this point, if anyone were having a serious discussion, I'd expect those that agree to present their argument with reliable sources, and those that disagree to present their argument with reliable sources.

Just saying.  At the very least, don't raise a stink about 'PROVE IT' without also in turn being willing to present an argument on your side.

no one in this thread has even brought forward a legitimate argument on bannon being a white supremacist yet. let's start there.

I'm not giving Bannon's hate site any more traffic. I've seen him write/post articles about Jewish conspiracies, fighting for the confederate flag, and a host of other horrible fucking things. Has quoted as saying he doesn't want his daughters in the same school as Jews.

He is literal human garbage. Anyone who reads his site is human garbage. The alt-right is a hate movement comprised of human garbage. 

The other wrinkle to dialogue these days...what do we mean by "prove it"?

Do we mean "prove it in a way that most critical thinking adults would understand" or "prove it to me"?  

If it's the former, the 'strength' or 'weakness' of someone's argument is independent of whether the other party accepts/acknowledges/understands it as strong or weak. You can argue that XYZ is a racist and the person you are arguing with can say "That's a weak argument/you didn't successfully prove it" and it would not alter the strength or weakness of your argument; it would ultimately be up to the other person to respond with a counter-argument.  

If it's the latter, there becomes an unspoken agreement that your argument is only as strong or weak as the opposing party says it is. Your argument's strength or weakness is determined not by the evidence or support you provide but by the reaction that the other party gives your argument. In my opinion, A LOT of recent Trump-related arguing falls into this latter category. Instead of actually counter-arguing, we can now outright dismiss arguments with a flippant eye-roll, a copy-and-paste meme, or by ramping up the extremity of tone/opinion to the point of distraction (a good example would be calling another poster a rapist to make a point and garner a strong reaction). I think this is true for both sides, however, I believe one side does it out of laziness and lack of controlling our emotions and one side uses this argument style as a deliberate offensive playbook.

18 hours ago, WAXXX said:

just because you hate something, doesn't make it white supremacy.

anyone attacking bannon should put forth a legitimate argument. all i see are knee-jerk opinions.

he was the editor in chief/CEO of Breitbart and signed off on articles promoting white nationalism, white supremacy, racism, sexism, etc.  HE may not have actually written the articles (maybe he did, I don't know, I refuse to go to that site), but HE had to give the OK to publish, which is giving consent to promote hate-speech.  If you don't see the relationship between that, then I dont know what to tell you.

2 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

he was the editor in chief/CEO of Breitbart and signed off on articles promoting white nationalism, white supremacy, racism, sexism, etc.  HE may not have actually written the articles (maybe he did, I don't know, I refuse to go to that site), but HE had to give the OK to publish, which is giving consent to promote hate-speech.  If you don't see the relationship between that, then I dont know what to tell you.

i'm familiar with breitbart. it's the ultra right response to ultra left rags like mother jones, huffington post, slate, and vox. for the past two days, i've been using the interwebs trying to find a single breitbart article that advocates white supremacy. i've found none. i've been trying to find a single audio clip, video clip, or interview quote of bannon promoting white supremacy. again, i've found none. on top of this, i haven't seen a single "news" site provide a single shred of evidence that bannon is a white supremacist. in fact, i've found the opposite. friends, colleagues, and associates of bannon of all colors and walks of life are coming out to denounce the allegations. as far as i've been able to tell, there is not a single shred of proof to back up the accusation that bannon is white supremacist. just opinions from people who don't like the guy. it's a smear campaign.

19 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I'm not giving Bannon's hate site any more traffic. I've seen him write/post articles about Jewish conspiracies, fighting for the confederate flag, and a host of other horrible fucking things. Has quoted as saying he doesn't want his daughters in the same school as Jews.

He is literal human garbage. Anyone who reads his site is human garbage. The alt-right is a hate movement comprised of human garbage. 

cool. your hate for breitbart is on par with my hate for huffington post. just because breitbart offends you, doesn't make bannon a white supremacist. 

what happened to all the people who were sick of the corruption and cronyism during the bush (43) presidency who watched us get involved in wars we didn't want and watched as millions of dollars in government contracts got handed out like candy to halliburton and other contractors? what happened to all the occupy wall street protesters who took a stand against corporate greed, the bank bailouts, and the cozy ties between DC and the financial services industry? what happened to all the people who got pissed off at citizens united and the introduction of unlimited sums of money to be spent on political campaigns? what happened to all the people who were sick of the influence that lobbyists had in DC, forging monopoly after monopoly in the US, driving up costs for basic services from healthcare to internet to gasoline? what happened to all the bernie supporters who were anti-establishment? DC has become a corrupt cesspool of bad hombres who put their personal gain over the needs of the american people. it's this mafia-like establishment in DC that bannon is on the record stating he wants to destroy. people are scared shitless that bannon is going to put an end to their little party. it's sad that few on the left seem to understand the opportunity we have to watch the DC swamp get drained.

Just now, THE_James_Champ said:

Preeeeeeeeeetty sure just calling someone a rapist for no good reason is enough to get someone banned. I could be wrong. 

i had good reason. i was making a point that leveling an accusation against someone without proof is stupid. and that expecting the accused to prove their innocence, when the accusation hasn't even been substantiated is dumb as well.

1 minute ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

He is not draining the swamp, Jesus Christ. It blows my mind that people still believe his bullshit.

direct quote from bannon: "I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today's establishment."

i'm open to changing my mind, but no one is offering a convincing argument to the contrary.

Yeah, he definitely doesn't mean that in a good way.

Every Trump supporter who isn't part of the 1% is being taken for a sucker. Your taxes will go up. Their taxes will go down. I'm calling it. We'll lose trillions in tax revenue while all of us are paying either more or a completely negligible amount less. He's about to Trump the economy and we're all fucked.

1 minute ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Yeah, he definitely doesn't mean that in a good way.

Every Trump supporter who isn't part of the 1% is being taken for a sucker. Your taxes will go up. Their taxes will go down. I'm calling it. We'll lose trillions in tax revenue while all of us are paying either more or a completely negligible amount less. He's about to Trump the economy and we're all fucked.

that's definitely your opinion, however it's still not convincing.

11 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

i've been using the interwebs trying to find a single breitbart article that advocates white supremacy. i've found none.

Right here is where I've finally been convinced that you are not here to discuss, you're here to argue.  Breitbart openly promotes white supremacy ideals.  If you can't see that you're either a white supremacist yourself or so emotionally invested in Trump & Co. that you're blinded by it.  Since you insist on examples, here is a result from a three second internet search.  Not sure how reliable the host is, never heard of them before, but they discuss articles posted on Breitbart.  The majority of people can see the racism in the headlines.  If you can't... please refer back to my second sentence:  https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/04/28/breitbartcom-becoming-media-arm-alt-right

7 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

i had good reason. i was making a point that leveling an accusation against someone without proof is stupid. and that expecting the accused to prove their innocence, when the accusation hasn't even been substantiated is dumb as well.

That's not a good reason.

3 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

direct quote from bannon: "I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today's establishment."

i'm open to changing my mind, but no one is offering a convincing argument to the contrary.

You don't find that disturbing?  Trump has been quoted as saying similar things.  How do you think anything good will come of that?  Do you not realize he's doing it entirely for self-enrichment reasons?  He has not communicated in any way what (or if) he intends to rebuild on the other side of that.