There Will Be Hell Toupée! (The Donald Trump Thread)

58 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

Every year for the last five years, around early-to-mid November, the DOW (generally what people use as a benchmark when they say "the economy" or "the stock market" is doing well/poorly) jumps up, stays steady with minor dips for about two months, then drops off sometime from mid-January to early February. 

wrong again. check for yourself: http://www.macrotrends.net/1358/dow-jones-industrial-average-last-10-years

the DOW performed the way you described only twice in the past five years. one year in particular that the DOW did not see a holiday rebound was in 2012 when obama was reelected. on a side note, the DOW took a substantial slump when obama was first elected in 2008. in election years there are anomalies due to the uncertainty that presidential policy will have on the economy. what we are experiencing right now since trump won the election is the exact opposite market response that took place when obama was elected. MAGA.

Edited by WAXXX

5 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

wrong again. check for yourself: http://www.macrotrends.net/1358/dow-jones-industrial-average-last-10-years

the DOW performed the way you described only twice in the past five years. one year in particular that the DOW did not see a holiday rebound was in 2012 when obama was reelected. on a side note, the DOW took a substantial slump when obama was first elected in 2008. in election years there are anomalies due to the uncertainty that presidential policy will have on the economy. what we are experiencing right now since trump won the election is the exact opposite market response that took place when obama was elected.

1. Though with varying degrees of movement, it has followed the model I outlined for the last five years. I used a different site for the graph, but they look the same, so it's not like that matters.

2. I'm speaking in terms of the last 5 years alone. You're right about 2008--we were also in a recession a the time.

3. You're also right about inflationary expectation having a hand in the market trends. Correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation, but if we're to look at it like it does in this case, then the explanation is that people are buying/investing now because they expect the economy to tank under Trump's presidency later. So even if there is a relationship here, not only does it point towards the American people being pessimistic about the near future (which isn't really the argument here) it also means Trump being elected is only a short-term economic gain directly as a result of consumer/investor pessimism with little certainty for whether his actual term in office will bring prosperity or not. 

What it boils down to is two possibilities: either we're just following trends, or we're seeing a temporary surge in the DOW because of the public's dismal expectations for the future. I don't know whether Trump will make our economy thrive or suffer during his presidency and I'm not claiming one way or the other; all I'm saying is this is temporary regardless of how it happened, we're realistically just following trends, and it's not a good indication of what will happen so people should stop citing this growth as a positive for Trump's case.

8 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

1. Though with varying degrees of movement, it has followed the model I outlined for the last five years. I used a different site for the graph, but they look the same, so it's not like that matters.

2. I'm speaking in terms of the last 5 years alone. You're right about 2008--we were also in a recession a the time.

3. You're also right about inflationary expectation having a hand in the market trends. Correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation, but if we're to look at it like it does in this case, then the explanation is that people are buying/investing now because they expect the economy to tank under Trump's presidency later. So even if there is a relationship here, not only does it point towards the American people being pessimistic about the near future (which isn't really the argument here) it also means Trump being elected is only a short-term economic gain directly as a result of consumer/investor pessimism with little certainty for whether his actual term in office will bring prosperity or not. 

What it boils down to is two possibilities: either we're just following trends, or we're seeing a temporary surge in the DOW because of the public's dismal expectations for the future. I don't know whether Trump will make our economy thrive or suffer during his presidency and I'm not claiming one way or the other; all I'm saying is this is temporary regardless of how it happened, we're realistically just following trends, and it's not a good indication of what will happen so people should stop citing this growth as a positive for Trump's case.

Not to argue everything, but this specifically is the opposite of what any smart investor would do. You buy low and sell high, so if the thought was that Trump was going to tank the economy people would be selling currently to re-buy when he tanks it.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

20 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

people are buying/investing now because they expect the economy to tank under Trump's presidency later. So even if there is a relationship here, not only does it point towards the American people being pessimistic about the near future (which isn't really the argument here) it also means Trump being elected is only a short-term economic gain directly as a result of consumer/investor pessimism with little certainty for whether his actual term in office will bring prosperity or not. 

20 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

this specifically is the opposite of what any smart investor would do. You buy low and sell high, so if the thought was that Trump was going to tank the economy people would be selling currently to re-buy when he tanks it.

randy is correct. there's a reason the age-old maxim is "buy low sell high," not "buy at all-time highs and sell when the economy tanks."

8 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

randy is correct. there's a reason the age-old maxim is "buy low sell high," not "buy at all-time highs and sell when the economy tanks."

I was thinking more along the lines of buying now because people think Trump will cause inflation/price level to increase faster than the common man's salary, though you're right on that count. Even then, I still find it inappropriate to make judgement calls this early.

33 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

meddling in our election

like every superpower ever since the dawn of civilization? who's allowed to meddle with other countries and who isn't? and what degree of "meddling" done by a country is worthy of considering them a major threat to your well-being?

i for one, think that the covert CIA operations carried out under the obama administration (in which seven different countries were routinely drone bombed) is a tad more destructive than allegedly phishing john podesta's gmail password.

Edited by WAXXX

10 hours ago, WAXXX said:

like every superpower ever since the dawn of civilization? who's allowed to meddle with other countries and who isn't? and what degree of "meddling" done by a country is worthy of considering them a major threat to your well-being?

i for one, think that the covert CIA operations carried out under the obama administration (in which seven different countries were routinely drone bombed) is a tad more destructive than allegedly phishing john podesta's gmail password.

The answer is none.

It's concerning that Russia meddles, especially so brazenly.

It's concerning that the US has never learned it's lesson about meddling (it's bit the in the ass so many times).