All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

1 hour ago, vinyl addict said:

Well yeah, I like to know what I'm buying. How many times do people buy LPs and they turn out to sound like shit, same mastering as CD etc.

I try to buy each album once, and once only (except for my favorites). ;)

Eh, I don't have the best hearing and I'm not a musician so there's lots of stuff that gets past me I'd say. I was just cracking a joke because you over-analyze the hell out of the pressing details but don't even bring up the music. 

35 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Eh, I don't have the best hearing and I'm not a musician so there's lots of stuff that gets past me I'd say. I was just cracking a joke because you over-analyze the hell out of the pressing details but don't even bring up the music. 

Yup. Same crap by vinyl addict over at hoffman.

Start bring up DR values and he losses his mind that he doesn't care though

I dont care about DR.

I care about what my ears hear. Knowing who mastered a pressing is good information for me, and many many many others. I don't see what the big deal is? 

Not sure how I "lose my mind" when someone brings up DR values.  I believe my quote from SH site is somewhere along the lines of  "I for one, don't give 2 shits about DR values." Wow isn't that an irate comment? I'm so hostile!

Edited by vinyl addict
Spelling

3 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

To be fair, I don't think its wrong to say you think a pressing sounds like shit or sounds amazing. Its when you bring the analytics into it that it gets tedious. 

Agreed. It's nerdy enough talking about music to this extent. Last thing I want is to analyze the sound on top of already soaking in the music itself. Vinyl addict also treats every single record like it's a major life investment.

1 minute ago, vinyl addict said:

I seriously have no idea where you get your ideas from.

Dude I've seen you say "I'll wait to find out who mastered it" in nearly every thread you've stepped foot in. Don't fucking deny it. 

I'm not trying to get shitty but that's a flat out fucking lie hahahaha. 

Just now, throughbeingcruel said:

Dude I've seen you say "I'll wait to find out who mastered it" in nearly every thread you've stepped foot in. Don't fucking deny it. 

I'm not trying to get shitty but that's a flat out fucking lie hahahaha. 

I usually do want to see who mastered it.  Are you aware how music production works? Keep buying your CDs on Vinyl. 

Still don't see how wanting to know who mastered the album is treating them as a "life investment".  

4 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

I usually do want to see who mastered it.  Are you aware how music production works? Keep buying your CDs on Vinyl. 

Still don't see how wanting to know who mastered the album is treating them as a "life investment".  

It's just homework.  Really if the DR value isn't 10+, it's not going to be a great sounding vinyl release.   #DRvaluesMatter

Edited by firefoxussr

10 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

I guess since the new RTJ wasn't listed as being cut by Kevin Grey, it must be CD-sourced. I'm a fuckin fool. 

8 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

Thread subscription regrets.

Never go full subscription.

But actually, I can probably take the blame for (accidentally) stirring the pot on the logistics of the quality of the remasters.  I brought up the brickwalling of the Broken EP because it caught me off guard to read about it, considering how savvy Reznor and Ross are at their craft.  And seeing as I haven't purchased anything to try out any "definitive" downloads yet, I was just curious to hear other opinions on the remaster.  I could see myself picking some of these up in shops come Spring, since I've caught a bit of NIN fever this last week or two – I'd just like to verify that they are, in fact, not lazily brickwalled.  That is to say that while I don't doubt team Rez-Ross' knowledge or abilities, I do know that the loudness war has reigned supreme in recent years, and I'd hate to see them fall victim to it.

No need to drum up the discussion of DRs, spectrals, and all that jazz once again; I understand where we're at with it all, and that sitting tight for the vinyl is the only real course of action at the moment.

47 minutes ago, mattisr1984 said:

so, this is a pretty cool listen but im glad i didnt spend the $80 on the vinyl version.

I mayyyybe will pick up the Fragile vinyl definitive... but after listening to a copy of the Deviations download, not sure I need to have this on vinyl.

My recollection is that even if the digital/hd versions are LOUDASSfk the vinyl version won't be... this seems to apply to any NIN release.

Edited by firefoxussr

On 26.12.2016 at 1:27 AM, jhulud said:

Listening to TF:D1 a few times already and it's such a tease of a record. The song comes on and I'm just waiting for the vocals to kick in and I'm hearing them in my head but they're not there. Heh.

Feeling totally the same. Except some alternate versions this looks like karaoke "The Fragile". Good version for a bike cause I can sing/scream along. :D

5 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Far be it from me to tell anyone how to listen to music or enjoy it, but I sincerely feel that if you're listening to Deviations 1 and just waiting for lyrics or thinking of it as The Fragile: Karaoke Edition, you're doing it wrong.

Welp.

I guess I've been a 27 years NIN fan all wrong this whole time.

:huh:

And as always, P4K is on point...or so they seem to think...

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22718-not-the-actual-events-ep/

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

Welp.

I guess I've been a 27 years NIN fan all wrong this whole time.

I certainly wouldn't go that far at all, considering this release has been "out" for a few weeks and not 27 years.  Reznor, presumably, wrote the production description for TF:D1 on the web store, and in it he refers to the release as its own animal: it stands and breathes independently as a separate composition, and not as a mirror of The Fragile lacking components.  Or so it's intended to be.