All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

On 6/29/2017 at 3:09 PM, Bladewillisisdead said:

My jacket is SOMEWHAT DAMAGED,

I'm just here to add NIN song/album titles that are relevant to this conversation. It's amazing how well these work!

Sin
That's What I Get
Things Falling Apart
Somewhat Damaged
The Fragile
Broken
Fixed
Gave Up
I Do Not Want This
The Mark Has Been Made
Complication
The Collector
Disappointed
And All That Could Have Been

Mine showed up today and doesn't seem as bad as some of the photos I've seen.  Only two corners with damage and it's pretty minor.  I think I'm going to still send an email just to complain about the piss poor packaging.  They're no reason a 'professional' company is sending stuff of like that (ok, there are reasons of not giving a shit or it being cheaper, but there is no good reason).

26 minutes ago, Adam10647 said:

I always love seeing these when the item is still for sale.  It's still available isn't it?

1 hour ago, mikeytags said:

I'm just here to add NIN song/album titles that are relevant to this conversation. It's amazing how well these work!

Sin
That's What I Get
Things Falling Apart
Somewhat Damaged
The Fragile
Broken
Fixed
Gave Up
I Do Not Want This
The Mark Has Been Made
Complication
The Collector
Disappointed
And All That Could Have Been

Lolol I love the list.. 

Got my refund late last week and sat on it for a while before finally deciding that I would in fact place a new order despite all of this hoopla.  (Quick refresher, Firebrand was charging over $80 USD to ship to Canada, where as Sandbag was charging $18 USD for the same order.  I wanted a partial refund of the shipping charges, no can do, so I had them cancel the whole order so I could reorder)

Even with my dissatisfaction with the Deviations packaging, and the bullshit with shipping, the truth of the matter is that these pressings will never get any cheaper.  Deviations will go up in price immediately once it's sold out, and the definitive pressings will at best remain at retail if they decide to keep them in print as demanded.

Even with shitty packaging the core NIN releases are a must have for me.  Had I not known that The Fragile was coming 'soon', I would have shelled out the $300 aftermarket price for the original pressing.  I'm going to own all of these eventually, so better to buy now paying less and actually have the possibility of recourse if it shows up in the mail all fucked up.

17 hours ago, Adam10647 said:

Finally got mine, a little more beat up than I'd like but I can live with it. The box it came in wasn't beat up so I think it was damaged at some point during production. 

This.  I recognize that some damage may have happened to others' during shipping, but my package was fine.  Still had bent corners, creases, etc.  I think the shrink-wrapping is what is damaging these things.  They should really be shipping in sleeves, not run through  shrink-wrapping machines.

40 minutes ago, thischarmingman said:

This.  I recognize that some damage may have happened to others' during shipping, but my package was fine.  Still had bent corners, creases, etc.  I think the shrink-wrapping is what is damaging these things.  They should really be shipping in sleeves, not run through  shrink-wrapping machines.

I honestly hate shrink wrap.  Wasteful and pointless.  I'd prefer nothing if a sleeve is deemed too costly by the artist.

I got to listen to 3 of the 4 LPs last night sounded awesome, that's the most important part! I'm a little under whelmed by the packaging but it's honestly what I expected, other than the labels not having the sides numbered or lettered.  I fucking hate that why do we need to make it a fucking mystery what part of the record I'm putting on.  Especially when it's 4 LPs/ 8 sides.  

1 hour ago, Adam10647 said:

I got to listen to 3 of the 4 LPs last night sounded awesome, that's the most important part! I'm a little under whelmed by the packaging but it's honestly what I expected, other than the labels not having the sides numbered or lettered.  I fucking hate that why do we need to make it a fucking mystery what part of the record I'm putting on.  Especially when it's 4 LPs/ 8 sides.  

While I totally agree that not putting the sides on the labels is just stupid, you can see the sides listed in the dead wax if you look close enough.  Hope that helps.

25 minutes ago, bungie said:

While I totally agree that not putting the sides on the labels is just stupid, you can see the sides listed in the dead wax if you look close enough.  Hope that helps.

Exactly. 

If the records are in the jacket in the right order, it's pretty simple actually. Take a look at the deadwax.

Pull the first record out. Top=Side A, therefore the flipside would be....say it with me now...Side B. The next record would be Side C right out of the jacket, then....

Edited by vinyl addict

13 minutes ago, bungie said:

Yeah I know but i shouldn't have to try that hard, labeling the sides is kind of the point of the labels.  I think I'm going to put them in plain paper sleeves and label those .

Yeah, I really don't mind having to look at the dead wax. I have a shitload of records I need to do that for. Sure it's easier if they're clearly labeled, but I don't listen to records because it's easy.

Now what REALLY annoys me is when something doesn't say "45" on it and I end up listening to like half a song at 33 before being like "Oh, I thought that sounded too slow and heavy" when the vocals come in.

Edited by Bladewillisisdead

7 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Now what REALLY annoys me is when something doesn't say "45" on it and I end up listening to like half a song at 33 before being like "Oh, I thought that sounded too slow and heavy" when the vocals come in.

THIS.  Especially when each side is a different RPM.

I also have one with no vocals, all electronic, and was vinyl-only for about a year before the digital came out.  Before the digital literally no one knew which speed was correct.

Just looked at my preorder and realized I paid $9.59 for them to ship this Media mail in a flimsy box. Yay! Vinyl looks perfect and that's the important part but considering this was almost $100 after tax, they really should put a little effort into protecting the product for Mass mailing.

Edited by bigdz68

23 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I'm fairly certain I'll get burnt at the stake for even suggesting it but I'd just  write the sides and speeds down on the centre label if it was an album I was going to have in heavy rotation.

Yes, you would.

However, this made me think that someone should make some small reusable vinyl stickers that say 33, 45, A, B, C, D, etc that we could stick on record labels without fear of damaging anything :o 

Hey I'm hoping someone can help me out. Our sleeves don't fit the Deviations album because it's twice the size of a gatefold. Does anyone know where to find some this size? I'd ask somewhere else but this is the only vinyl I've ever got that is this big so I have no other albums to compare to what size we need. Thanks

1 hour ago, daegor said:

THIS.  Especially when each side is a different RPM.

I also have one with no vocals, all electronic, and was vinyl-only for about a year before the digital came out.  Before the digital literally no one knew which speed was correct.

I listened to the first Toe LP at 33 for like a year before listening to the MP3s and realizing it was supposed to be at 45.

End of a Year - Sincerely is labeled 33 but plays at 45. I played it once and thought it was fucked up. Got a better record player like 6 years later, gave it another shot and realized it was just labeled wrong.

I'd say I have maybe 2 dozen records that I only listen to once in awhile that I always fuck up the speed at first. I really should invest in some stickers for the outer sleeves.