All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

4 hours ago, The Royal Dutch of Dukes said:

Dammit.

So, 8 months later, Fragile, Broken, TDS, and NTAE showed up...and all of them have smashed corners.

All 4 were shipped together in one of those amazon-type mailers, with no padding or corner protection of any kind. I have literally never asked for a replacement sleeve before but might have to here. Especially since I waited 8 months and they couldn't be bothered to give a shit about packing this decently.

Not that it's a competition, but I think this guy may have you beat.

FUgB6KQ.jpg

3 hours ago, straighttocutout said:

Lurked on this board for years. Compelled to create an account just to add to the staggering disappoint of Sandbag.

Didn't order until people here finally confirmed shipments were going out, then ordered with (tempered) confidence.

My order shipped without shipping confirmation or tracking (not a big deal) but when it arrived, it wasn't even my order. Addressed to me, no pack list. Not only not the records I ordered, not records at all. A t-shirt. Emailed Sandbag, no reply yet.

Spent $100+, no records, no reply... just a shirt I can't even wear. Could be worse, but could be way, way better.

That fuckin' sucks. Sorry to hear it. Hopefully, they make it right for you.

8 hours ago, Derek™ said:

FUgB6KQ.jpg

Jesus...you piss off your mail carrier or something? That's some next level shit right there

4 hours ago, thischarmingman said:

Nah. They should just suck it up because #records or some shit. 

Yes, not receiving the correct order is exactly the same as a split seam and a corner ding.

15 hours ago, The Royal Dutch of Dukes said:

Dammit.

So, 8 months later, Fragile, Broken, TDS, and NTAE showed up...and all of them have smashed corners.

mALZbct.jpg

All 4 were shipped together in one of those amazon-type mailers, with no padding or corner protection of any kind. I have literally never asked for a replacement sleeve before but might have to here. Especially since I waited 8 months and they couldn't be bothered to give a shit about packing this decently.

Do the records themselves have smashed corners? Id like to see that!

How do the records sound? Do they sound like the jacket has a crushed corner?

11 hours ago, Derek™ said:

FUgB6KQ.jpg

That had to have been sitting somewhere very hot for quite a while to bend to bend like that! You would think it would have just snapped.

Holy shit. Now THAT is in need of a replacement.

17 hours ago, axotyl said:

that sucks... im with you. normal preorder/order and that happens i would probably let it slide. for the price and how long we had to wait for these though i would definitely ask for replacements.

Yeah exactly...I have plenty of records that arrived with sleeves in worse shape, but came from a small indie distro or were sent from Japan or something, so as long as the vinyl was in good shape I didn't care. But given the delay, cost, and the fact that a major label should have a better grasp on how to properly pack things, I figure I might as well ask.

On a brighter note - holy shit these sound great! TDS and The Fragile are two of my all-time favorites and, while I haven't owned either on vinyl before, I've listened to the original CDs hundreds of times.  And these blow them out of the water.  I had a little bit of surface noise on the B side of TDS that a wet cleaning took care of, but otherwise sound perfect.

2 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

Do the records themselves have smashed corners? Id like to see that!

How do the records sound? Do they sound like the jacket has a crushed corner?

Dude...they really fucked me over - the records don't even have corners! They're all circle-shaped and shit! Those cheap bastards must have cut them off, or maybe they broke off in shipping.

On 8/25/2017 at 2:45 AM, Dustinhxc said:

Here are the ones I used for The Fragile and Deviations. Someone recommended them to me before.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001719NXQ

Thanks for htat.

On 8/25/2017 at 0:34 AM, Derek™ said:

There's probably no way to get just one.  A 10-pack would be ideal in case you obtain thicker gatefolds [or thin boxsets] that need a sleeve, but I haven't located one yet, if they exist.  I'm not sure if it was Square Deals or a different distributor, but I know there was one company who sold sleeves that a lot of users recommended here on the boards, and they would actually mail you a sample sleeve or two if you reached out to them and inquired.  That would probably be your best bet if you absolutely only need 1.

Ahh, yeah, right now I just have Sigur Ros' Takk & this.  I don't think I have any big sized records on my wishlist as of now.  I think Sleeve City is the one you're thinking of and they do give samples so I'll try their stuff out.  Hopefully it works.  Thanks for the assistance.

On 8/25/2017 at 3:33 PM, vinyl addict said:

My original Fragile and this new Deviations both fit in my usual resealable sleeve city sleeves. Maybe order a couple of "free" samples? Granted Deviations is a tight fit, but it slid right in. Keep in mind I insert the album with the opening lining up with the flap for the sleeve. Open flap, remove record. No need to slide the whole jacket out.

Which Sleeve City sleeves were you using? It definitely doesn't fit in 2.0/2.5 or the 3.0.  I have yet to try it with a 5.0 or the deluxe 5.0.  

I've never tried the deluxe, unless they are wider by an inch and wider in opening, they won't fit these. 

These se will be loose in the box set sleeves, but they protect them fine. Been using them on oversized records for 10 years. 

Maybe I'll order a pack of the deluxe to check them out though.  Reading the description though I get the impression it's for thicker gatefolds (like tip on 2x180g LP sized) rather than double spine releases

Edited by timsimmons

Probably to no ones surprise, I found the Kevin Gray cut slightly better than the definitive cut by John Golden. The definitive version is very good. DOn't get me wrong. I though the KG cut was a bit more robust/fuller.  I did a blind comparison of both records going track by track. I found that consistently noted preferring the KG cut, but to be fair,  sometimes it was a toss up (VPI HW-19jr w/ a Grado blue on a vintage Marantz 2220 with Polk speakers).

I think if you have the KG cut, you can pass on the definitive. Otherwise, get the KG cut if you don't own one, but if you have to get the definitive version (like because of a discount code or whatever), you will probably be happy with that as well. 

The Black to Black/KG cut packaging is a bit different. Inners are a thicker paper. Spine is a touch wider. Colors are muted. The DE is closer to the original pressing, Colors are richer. inners are the thin glossy paper (and do not come with the discs in them to avoid seem splits). The original pressing had the boldest colors on the packaging and are a richer yellow/brown with an orange hue. I don't have my original CD anymore, but I remember that being the same. These 2 new pressings seem to favor more yellow in the colors rather than the warmer orange end. 

Anyway those are my thoughts on the new DWS pressings.  

2 hours ago, simple_torture said:

Are you gonna contact Sandbag or go directly to the FBI?

Well I've been reading people experiences with Sandbag, so probably straight to the FBI.  I heard their customer service is better anyways.

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

Personally, I would just bend that back and go about my business. 

I've had 4 dictionaries sitting on that corner since last night.  Hoping it's okay when I get home.  But either way, I'll need a replacement.

On 8/26/2017 at 8:06 PM, idioteque... said:

Which Sleeve City sleeves were you using? It definitely doesn't fit in 2.0/2.5 or the 3.0.  I have yet to try it with a 5.0 or the deluxe 5.0.  

It definitely fits in the 3.0 resealable sleeves I use.

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/resealable-3-mil-outer-lp-sleeves-pack-of-50-p/9222.htm

On 8/25/2017 at 5:51 PM, The Royal Dutch of Dukes said:

Dammit.

mALZbct.jpg

My records showed up today and this is pretty much the same thing i got.  I got TF, NTAE and Broken and they were all shipped together in that exact same kind of mailer.  like sardines in a can.  I can't even fathom how they managed to fit all FOUR of your records in that mailer.  When you popped the tape did the box burst open?  all jacket corners except 1 were fine, the dings on mine are similar to yours.  I personally don't think those dings are too bad or even something to complain about really, but i do understand also that if the packing was done better, it COULD be avoided altogether.  You, me and everyone else that has handed over hard-earned money for these releases reserves the right to gripe about this stuff.  I have ordered multiple records from places like Soundstagedirect (best packaging of any online vinyl retailer that I have ever seen, their mailers are absolute tanks and they put care into shipping records and it fucking shows).  Christ, even Amazon does it better and that's like the walmart of online vinyl purchasing.  At any rate... I am relieved to finally have these, and certainly glad they didn't show up looking like old boy's copy of NTAE (how does that even happen???).  Spinning Fragile right now and it sounds incredible just as everyone else has been saying.