All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Listening to a NIN podcast that interviews Rob Sheridan mentions he's doing some work on the With Teeth remastered artwork for the LP, so they're working on them. Here's a link if you want to check it out
http://shoutengine.com/PodLikeAHoleANineInchNailsandTrentReznorPodcast/in-conversation-with-rob-sheridan-75552 

On 3/7/2019 at 7:41 PM, youspinmeround said:

Remember when we were going to see definitive editions of with teeth and year zero.............................

I already have what will be my definitive edition as I love the 5.1 mix on the DVD-Audio side of the DualDisc version, but remember when we were going to get the definitive "Deluxe Edition" of The Fragile? Let's briefly remind ourselves of the timeline.

2005 - TR mentions The Fragile will likely get the same DE treatment as TDS in a q&a on the old NIN site
2009 - November, Rob Sheridan tweets "Spent the afternoon revising the nine inch nails Fragile Deluxe Edition prototype with A+R. Now it'll be a month before we get the next one." (Artists in Residence did a bunch of the Ghosts issues, they kind of suck for quality control though, all the 5.1 mixes of The Pixes they did were stereo upmixes and the Death Cab for Cutie "Barsuk Years" set had multiple labelling issues, so probably good thing AinR didn't get to do The Fragile)
2010 - on October 15th 2010 Alan Moulder announces in a Q&A session on Pro Sound Web that he's working on a 5.1 mix of The Fragile
2011 - November, TR confirms the 5.1 mixes are "done" and the package will be "available soon".
2014 - TR mentions in a NZ interview " You know, we've mixed everything in surround, it sounds amazing, we have a great package ready to go. "

F'n sucks to know Alan Moulders 5.1 mix is now 7 years in the can and still not released, and the existing "definitive" vinyl release is poorly mastered.

Of course we also have the Blu-ray of the Tension 2013 tour announced in early 2014 for a "Spring 2014" release, changed a little later (2015 maybe) to be a multi-show live release featuring some of the 2014 stops and possibly four different shows....it's 2019 and that's nowhere to be seen.

Believe me I know I'm not entitled to anything, but I'm champing at the bit for both of these currently in stasis releases.

Edited by dobyblue

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

Everything is brickwalled 

But... noticeably?  I’m all for the brickwall meme and usually buy into it where it’s applicable, but having spent a fair bit of time with the definitive editions - outside of just The Fragile, too - I have to admit they sound pretty swell, and the vinyl pressing itself seems really well-handled.  They could’ve easily went south.

My bad, I only meant to type "poorly mastered", additionally typing "pressed" was finger memory burn-in. The pressing quality itself is actually pretty definitive unlike the job United did with Hesitation Marks, it's only the mastering for me that isn't my cup of tea. Unfortunately where I listen to vinyl is where this type of mastering affects my enjoyment of the music the most, whereas I don't really notice aggressive dynamic range compression in the car so that's where I listen to things like Hesitation Marks, etc.

For me the addtional clarity of the remastering is offset by the loudness/compression but it's not like the original CD is any better, lol. It's why I was so looking forward to the surround mix as typically multichannel mixes are not subject to the same aggressive mastering moves as the stereo releases.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the existing 2017 being definitive for you, it's all subjective.
Rawk on!
\m/ \m/

Edited by dobyblue

I’d be stoked to hear The Fragile in 5.1, for sure.  Hopefully that happens in our lifetimes.  I agree that the 2017 edition sounds especially nice in the car... for better or worse, ha.  I’ve never owned or listened to an OG copy of The Fragile for what it’s worth.  I’m not trying to imply that the 2017 edition is “definitive” by any means, either.  Always room for improvement, right?  I’m just grateful it happened and that I could add a respectable sounding copy to my collection without spending 3 digits, you know?

What do you guys make of TDS’ definitive edition?  Same boat?

With TDS I can't comment on the vinyl as I never picked it up but if it was done at PallasDE I expect it's nice and quiet and centred properly. I did acquire the high resolution digital cutting files and I found the mastering to be similarly "hot" like the rest of the them, The Fragile is the only one I got a copy of the 3LP to have and I did eventually sell it. It was a gorgeous thing to behold.

I was in the throes of extreme NIN fandom when TDS came out in 1994, saw them live that summer for the first time then again that December. I listened to that CD so often in the first few years after release, rage hard! I have found the surround mix is so beautifully done, it's hard to listen to any mere stereo version now. That buzzsaw sound at the end of Closer, careening around the room 270 degrees from the front left speaker disappearing off off to the right wall? Pure genius!

32 minutes ago, dobyblue said:

My bad, I only meant to type "poorly mastered", additionally typing "pressed" was finger memory burn-in. The pressing quality itself is actually pretty definitive unlike the job United did with Hesitation Marks, it's only the mastering for me that isn't my cup of tea. Unfortunately where I listen to vinyl is where this type of mastering affects my enjoyment of the music the most, whereas I don't really notice aggressive dynamic range compression in the car so that's where I listen to things like Hesitation Marks, etc.

For me the addtional clarity of the remastering is offset by the loudness/compression but it's not like the original CD is any better, lol. It's why I was so looking forward to the surround mix as typically multichannel mixes are not subject to the same aggressive mastering moves as the stereo releases.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the existing 2017 being definitive for you, it's all subjective.
Rawk on!
\m/ \m/

God I want that 5.1 Fragile Im blown away everytime I listen to the Downward Spiral that way so much extra stuff you dont notice.  

Also I want that Tension BR

Ahhh to be a NIN fan

I’m indifferent to the definitive editions. They are louder for sure. TBH, that works for NIN’s sound IMO. That being said, I’d prefer cranking them with my volume knob, but they are fine. I’m not outraged like a lot of people were when they dropped. 

That at being said, the back to black TDS is a better master and pressing than the definitive edition. It’s even better than the OP.

Edited by timsimmons

5 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I’m indifferent to the definitive editions. They are louder for sure. TBH, that works for NIN’s sound IMO. That being said, I’d prefer cranking them with my volume knob, but they are fine. I’m not outraged like a lot of people were when they dropped. 

That at being said, the back to black TDS is a better master and pressing than the definitive edition. It’s even better than the OP.

I prefer the definitive edition simply because I hate the way the back to black version has the opening of Reptile on one side and the rest of the song on the other. The definitive edition got it right. And I also prefer the slightly more aggressive sound it has. They are both quality.