All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

8 hours ago, fish said:

Also saw that, and it's a fair price. They seem to keep gong in and out of stock at random online shops,  and when they are out they go for much more on discogs.  And that's not terribly far over retail so i say go for it. 

And they all sound ridiculously good. The definitive editions are all better than the original pressings. 

1 hour ago, ntslash said:

And they all sound ridiculously good. The definitive editions are all better than the original pressings. 

That's a bold statement.  I haven't heard the definitive pressing of TDS but my 2008 Kevin Gray pressing is gonna be hard to beat... now you got me wanting to find the definitive press to do a side-by-side.

1 hour ago, thesecrets0308 said:

That's a bold statement.  I haven't heard the definitive pressing of TDS but my 2008 Kevin Gray pressing is gonna be hard to beat... now you got me wanting to find the definitive press to do a side-by-side.

I like the DE better than the Kevin Gray. I think it sounds better, and the tracking between Eraser and Reptile is much better. I've always despised the way Eraser and Reptile are cut on the Kevin Gray release with the real beginning of Reptile on side C instead of D. 

6 hours ago, ntslash said:

This is not remotely true. 
The 2008 KG press is more dynamic than the "Definitive" pressing. And I just obtained a minty US promo copy from '94 and that's a clear upgrade over the 2008.

So the "Definitive" of TDS is third, at best, but I suspect the European originals beat it as well.

That said, the Definitive With Teeth is supposed to trump an OP so there ya go. I wasn't impressed with my original copy years ago (since sold), so there was definitely room to upgrade there.

33 minutes ago, filthyrich said:

This is not remotely true. 
The 2008 KG press is more dynamic than the "Definitive" pressing. And I just obtained a minty US promo copy from '94 and that's a clear upgrade over the 2008.

So the "Definitive" of TDS is third, at best, but I suspect the European originals beat it as well.

That said, the Definitive With Teeth is supposed to trump an OP so there ya go. I wasn't impressed with my original copy years ago (since sold), so there was definitely room to upgrade there.

I sold my original TDS and will never listen to my KG copy again. The DE is my clear favorite. 

The fact that there is debate about this suggests all pressings are at least quality and that is comes down to your preference and probably your setup. For me, the DE is as good as it gets. 

But the WT one isn't even a question. I sold my original the moment I heard the DE. I haven't seen any claims that the original is better. 

25 minutes ago, ntslash said:

I sold my original TDS and will never listen to my KG copy again. The DE is my clear favorite. 

The fact that there is debate about this suggests all pressings are at least quality and that is comes down to your preference and probably your setup. For me, the DE is as good as it gets. 

But the WT one isn't even a question. I sold my original the moment I heard the DE. I haven't seen any claims that the original is better. 

THIS^^^

Yeah I have all or at least the the more common pressings of these. I've never noticed a huge difference between the pressings.  I even listened to side 1 of the DS from the OG pressing and the DE, I give the DE a slight edge but they all sound good IMO. I usually put on the DE pressings but really comes down to personal preference. 

We can agree to disagree. If you want to hear the difference, check out one of the louder songs on TDS.
The DE and the KG will "break up" in the heavy moments, particularly the DE, which was cut from the same remastered hi-res files that were compressed over the original. So it's gonna give you more of a wall of sound.

The US promo doesn't get congested in these moments. It's obviously loud, but you can pick out all the individual instruments still. It's really an amazing mastering job, particularly for '94.

But like I say, individual opinions differ. I also prefer the original CD mastering over the new Definitive Edition FLACs, for the same reason. YMMV.

Considering I have the same reaction to the Definitives of Broken and Fragile, I'm really jonesing to find an original of the former. The Definitive Fragile is probably as good as it gets, the original of that wasn't mastered any better apparently (and noisy to boot).

That NIN deal I made?...Records arrived today. Holy shit...awesomely packed and protected. I love record nerds that care about shit like this enough to make sure all goes well. Now I need to find a plastic sleeve for TF. The ones I currently have and use are too snug for snug for it. Any recommendations on what is a good size? 

• 3 weeks later...

Which version of Pretty Hate Machine does everyone like best? I have the 2010 2LP remaster with grey cover, which I seem to recall is the one Trent told people they should get. But lately I've been seeing some comments about how the newer pressing of the 1LP with original cover is better. What does everyone think? 

• 1 month later...

Pretty cool new cover. I'm glad I picked up the 2017 reissue with the normal original promotional art cover though. I usually like the original  presentation of things like this.

Even the Twin Peaks FWWM soundtrack from 1992 with the original promo poster cover art and the terrible stretched ratios on the film stills on the back cover suits me better than any of the later pressings with new artwork.