All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

Wow! I can't believe Reckless listed the overstock from the event yesterday online and I could have just run down to the Milwaukee store and grabbed The Fragile today for $38 + tax instead of paying $56 for it. Mine showed up last Friday but I could have lived without it for a that extra week to save the cash.

14 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Wow! I can't believe Reckless listed the overstock from the event yesterday online and I could have just run down to the Milwaukee store and grabbed The Fragile today for $38 + tax instead of paying $56 for it. Mine showed up last Friday but I could have lived without it for a that extra week to save the cash.

Yeah, thanks for the heads up, I just placed an order as well. Now I don't have to  spin my original. And FUCK sandbag.

Just saw the Riot Fest set list. It's pretty varied & concise as it's been in past few years and accommodates new stuff. But goddamn, I wish they would drop "Closer" from it. It was a great song but as a jaded gazillion years NIN fan, sure it's the song that "broke them" further into the mainstream, but it makes me feel it's when the Joe lunchbox meatheads got hip & jumped on the NIN bandwagon.

Plus it got insanely overplayed. So much so that I've come dislike & almost hate it. Even so much so that in all latter day times I seen NIN live (all 50+ times), as soon as they start playing it, I've turn around with my back facing the band in protest. I'm surely alone & silly in the sentiment, but hey that's me. 

1 hour ago, lethalenforcer said:

My first NIN show tonight. Faced the stage the entire time. It was so damn great... ahhh still winding down.

Same. Was never a huge fan but the show tonight blew me away. Bravo, Mr. Reznor, you finally converted me to be a NIN fan

7 hours ago, jhulud said:

But goddamn, I wish they would drop "Closer" from it. It was a great song but as a jaded gazillion years NIN fan, sure it's the song that "broke them" further into the mainstream, but it makes me feel it's when the Joe lunchbox meatheads got hip & jumped on the NIN bandwagon.

I get it, and have felt the same way about other bands and their biggest "hit."  But it's a lose, lose for the band.  You can't ever make everyone happy (not that I think NIN really cares about that), but in this specific instance, with a "festival" crowd, I think it's almost mandatory that it's in there.  

Ive landed at a place of acceptance with bands playing their "hit", but find that I love it when they burn it early in the set, like the 3rd or 4th song.

49 minutes ago, merlecakes said:

I get it, and have felt the same way about other bands and their biggest "hit."  But it's a lose, lose for the band.  You can't ever make everyone happy (not that I think NIN really cares about that), but in this specific instance, with a "festival" crowd, I think it's almost mandatory that it's in there.  

Ive landed at a place of acceptance with bands playing their "hit", but find that I love it when they burn it early in the set, like the 3rd or 4th song.

Trent is a bit weird with it. He openly admits he is sick of playing the song, and has also alluded to Head Like a Hole being the same. Yet he has some other "hits" that he never plays. Apparently he mentioned in the Q&A that he won't ever be playing The Perfect Drug, he's shunned starfuckers inc, barely plays The Day the World Went Away etc. Sure they aren't as big "hits", but I think a lot of casual listeners would know them.

I feel like it is smart to play the hits when doing these festival appearances because a lot of the crowd may only know those songs. But I agree that when I see a band, especially when I've seen them numerous times, I am always hoping that they skip them. With nin it was always hurt that i got annoyed with when they played.

Kind of surprised they didn't play supernaut last night since Jourgensen was also at the fest.

I'd be fine if I never saw them play The Hand That Feeds or Piggy again. I'm real Happy The Great Destroyer has been a main stay on the past few tours.  I've never seen them play Last or Happiness in Slavery those would be awesome. Now that Atticus is in the band it would be rad if they added Immigrant Song to the set list but I dont know if Trent can sing that one.

If anyone is feeling risky, Best Buy appears to have the vinyl edition of The Vietnam War OST for $13.99

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-vietnam-war-a-film-by-ken-burns-lynn-novick-original-score-lp-vinyl/6088008.p?skuId=6088008

It has the same UPC (602557769982) as what I've seen elsewhere, so maybe...?

4 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Okay I guess I need a reminder of the secret to accessing my Fragile download.  Followed the instructions on the download card, took 40 minutes to download, and can't be open.  I don't think it even downloaded as a zip file.

I recall needing to download "7-zip" to unzip the file.  If I can find the email, I'll update this post Instructions below

Spoiler

Due to the large size of these files sometimes fans can run into issues when downloading or extracting them. We recommend using Firefox or Chrome to download and 7 Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) to extract the files.

There are instructions an intrepid fan came up with found here -

1. Install 7zip.

2. Open 7zip File Manager. Click on "Tools" at the top and select "Options...".

3. Click on the second tab, "7-Zip", and ensure that both "Integrate 7-Zip to Shell Context Menu" boxes are checked (should be the first and second boxes).

4. Hit "OK" and then exit the program/interface.

5. Right click on the .zip file, Hover over "7-Zip" on the context menu, hover over the second "Open Archive" option from the new box that appears, then select "zip" from the next box that appears (fifth option down).

6. This next step will take some time! Wait for the 7-Zip File Manager to reopen with the contents of the .zip file.

7. If you have the old Deviations 1 .zip with just the .wav files you can skip this step. Navigate to where the separate format .zip's are (ignore the WAV one, this is incomplete/broken). Double left-click on the first .zip for either the FLAC or MP3 version (Attributes column is blank, and Host OS is listed as FAT).

8. This next step will take some time! Wait (again) for the archive you selected to open.

9. You're in, and almost there! Double left-click on the folder (you should no longer be seeing .zip files) and navigate to where the audio files are.

10. Click "Edit" at the top, and then "Select All" (you can also shift+click or ctrl+click if you prefer).

11. Drag the highlighted files to a folder you want them copied to (or your desktop, I suppose).

12. Wait for the files to copy and presto! you should have your files in the format of your choosing!

Edited by harryq

5 hours ago, harryq said:

If anyone is feeling risky, Best Buy appears to have the vinyl edition of The Vietnam War OST for $13.99

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-vietnam-war-a-film-by-ken-burns-lynn-novick-original-score-lp-vinyl/6088008.p?skuId=6088008

I took the risk. If it's not vinyl, I can always return it. Not too hard. 

6 hours ago, harryq said:

I gave it a flier, too. I'm not a big soundtrack guy, but it'd be a nice piece to have at that price point. And if it ends up being the CD or something, it'll take 5 minutes to return it at the local Best Buy.