All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

21 minutes ago, jhulud said:

I want to see "Standard VC" pics of this from all of y'all who have gotten it, Ya know...better pics than the ones at other places. We have higher standards 'round here.

;)

And I will admit that I'm on the disappointed camp regarding the price and the overall packaging and presentation. Esp. being that it's a standard gatefold with two records crammed in each sleeve. That's a letdown.

That's pretty disappointing considering how much more expensive it is compared to the Fragile.

51 minutes ago, simple_torture said:

You all that get your mail before noon make me jealous; mine doesn't show up until like 4:30.

I can see the post office from my apartment. It's nice because half the time I get my packages at 10am. The other half I get them at 6pm, which is annoying though.

Still a little over 2 hours before I get to spin it.

Definitely bummed this is 4 records crammed in a gatefold.

27 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I can see the post office from my apartment. It's nice because half the time I get my packages at 10am. The other half I get them at 6pm, which is annoying though.

Still a little over 2 hours before I get to spin it.

Definitely bummed this is 4 records crammed in a gatefold.

This is what happens when Rob Sheridan leaves the band. 

Edited by Adam10647

The plot thickens over at ETS...people have been getting their copies beat to shit. Badly. Considering these got packed in a simple-ass LP mailer with little to no padding, it is not surprising that they're arriving damaged.

Also...anyone justifying and defending the price tag of $80 for a 4xLP crammed in a normal gatefold, is completely delusional. Knowing and seeing that there are 4xLP & more released in better and nicer packaging and presentation for sometimes less than $80 puts this release in a greater light as to the lack of foresight and maybe even rushed release.

And yes, I am a hardcore NIN fan for 28 years and going and will generally buy anything and everything that Reznor puts out...but at the same time I gotta call them like I see them and of course have a common sense of where my money goes and how I spend it and its worth in said purchase.

2 minutes ago, jhulud said:

The plot thickens over at ETS...people have been getting their copies beat to shit. Badly. Considering these got packed in a simple-ass LP mailer with little to no padding, it is not surprising that they're arriving damaged.

Also...anyone justifying and defending the price tag of $80 for a 4xLP crammed in a normal gatefold, is completely delusional. Knowing and seeing that there are 4xLP & more released in better and nicer packaging and presentation for sometimes less than $80 puts this release in a greater light as to the lack of foresight and maybe even rushed release.

And yes, I am a hardcore NIN fan for 28 years and going and will generally buy anything and everything that Reznor puts out...but at the same time I gotta call them like I see them and of course have a common sense of where my money goes and how I spend it and its worth in said purchase.

Completely agree. Definitely getting worried about what my copy will look like once it arrives.

My jacket is SOMEWHAT DAMAGED, enough to be a bummer but not enough to really care too much. Looks like a rough bit of shelf wear.

It IS bigger than a regular gatefold so at least the discs aren't in there crazy right. The $80 price tag is some bullshit, but so far (3 songs in) it sounds great so whatever. 

I can take pics tomorrow. This is not a standard gatefold. The spine is about 3/4" wide, each sleeve of the gatefold is double wide, leaving ample room for the 2 records and avoiding ringwear.

There's no lettering on the spine at all, just the colors/layout of the jacket.

It's actually not too bad. The inside of the gatefold sleeves are finished also.

Pressed at Pallas too!!!

It was shipped in a standard mailer with no padding. DON'T CUT THROUGH THE TAPE/BOX when opening it. You will slice right into the jacket. Hopefully none of you open anything like that anyway, but I feel the need to warn you all.

Edited by vinyl addict

2 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

I can take pics tomorrow. This is not a standard gatefold. The spine is about 3/4" wide, each sleeve of the gatefold is double wide, leaving amole room for the 2 records and avoiding ringwear.

There's no lettering on the spine at all, just the colors/layout of the jacket.

It's actually not too bad. The inside of the gatefold sleeves are finished also.

Pressed at Pallas too!!!

It was shipped in a standard mailer with no padding. DON'T CUT THROUGH THE TAPE/BOX when opening it. You will slice right into the jacket. Hopefully none of you open anything like that anyway, but I feel the need to warn you all.

Yup, this thing is almost comically thick at the spine.  I squeezed it into a sleeve but I might take it out because it may be too tight.  It's definitely an oversized gatefold with ample room for the LPs, unlike Ghosts I-IV.  Still, I was kind of hoping for a slip case or something a little different.  

I listened to the first 2 LPs.  It sounds great.  Kind of difficult to tell which one you're looking at/listening to unless you either look at the runout info or reference the insert which has the center labels indicating which side and disc you're listening to.  Kinda wish there was just a subtle 1A 1B or something on the label but whatever - no big deal.

14 minutes ago, highfives said:

Kind of difficult to tell which one you're looking at/listening to unless you either look at the runout info or reference the insert which has the center labels indicating which side and disc you're listening to.  Kinda wish there was just a subtle 1A 1B or something on the label but whatever - no big deal.

This is my complaint every time an LP is like that.  A small 1/2 or A/B or whatever wouldn't be that hard.

2 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

This is my complaint every time an LP is like that.  A small 1/2 or A/B or whatever wouldn't be that hard.

I mean, I get it.  Being an artist I know what they're doing but being a consumer I want it to be at least a tiny bit convenient.  Enough so that I don't have to hold my shit up to a light and see if there's a 1-A scratched into the dead wax.

22 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

Sent in a refund request the moment the email offer went out...finally got a reply today "unfortunately it's too late for a refund as this has already shipped"...good thing they waited 4 weeks to process my refund so they could ship it first...

If this happens to me (still waiting) I'll open a dispute, that's not acceptable.

3 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Mine came today pretty much all perfectly intact. One teeny tiny half inch corner ding but nothing worth complaining about. 

Same here, which is very surprising considering I'm almost positive my mailman is Ace Ventura

giphy.gif

I've held off on posting because I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I thought $80 was pretty steep to begin with.  I was obviously going to hold off on saying anything until the finished product surfaced - because I too was under the impression that there was going to be more of a "box" component - but it really is, essentially, a double gatefold album with an extra LP in each sleeve.  There is no way this should have ever been $80.  Was shipping even included or did it require that $7-8 mail option from the NIN web store, at the time?  It's really concerning to see smaller labels package their merchandise more adequately at half the cost.  But oh well.

I think Deviations 1 is a really cool listen and it actually gave me a newfound respect to the instrumental progression of many NIN tracks.  I had been toying with the idea of picking it up, but now I may wait it out to see if I can't find a deal on Discogs.  I can see it being an awesome addition to an expansive NIN collection but it seems like the price point was considerably off on this one.  Glad to hear it sounds great though.

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I've held off on posting because I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I thought $80 was pretty steep to begin with.  I was obviously going to hold off on saying anything until the finished product surfaced - because I too was under the impression that there was going to be more of a "box" component - but it really is, essentially, a double gatefold album with an extra LP in each sleeve.  There is no way this should have ever been $80.  Was shipping even included or did it require that $7-8 mail option from the NIN web store, at the time?  It's really concerning to see smaller labels package their merchandise more adequately at half the cost.  But oh well.

I think Deviations 1 is a really cool listen and it actually gave me a newfound respect to the instrumental progression of many NIN tracks.  I had been toying with the idea of picking it up, but now I may wait it out to see if I can't find a deal on Discogs.  I can see it being an awesome addition to an expansive NIN collection but it seems like the price point was considerably off on this one.  Glad to hear it sounds great though.

The sound is really the most important part but even if this had been in a hardbound slip case a la the Melon Collie & The Infinite Sadness re-press/master/issue, $80 would still be steep. Proper mastering on 4 LP's shouldn't cost $80. One gatefold jacket over 4LP's should not cost $80. That's insanity. This should have been a $40-$45 release, maximum and as far as I'm concerned, that's pushing it.