All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

2 hours ago, Cecil said:

It's probably a drawback of NIN being so eclectic. I've seen different people mention With Teeth, Year Zero and The Slip as their favourite records of all time. There are ofcourse others who only like the old stuff, but that's the same as any band who were big then went away for a while. Personally I'm not huge on Year Zero but the second half of Hesitation Marks is impeccable. 

:lol: That was by far nin's worst album, high and low. The Slip, reallY? Oof. I'm just not sure how anyone who listens to TDS could take any of those albums mentioned above. Then you have tracks like Wish off of Fixed that take it to a whole new level.

54 minutes ago, skycriesmary said:

:lol: That was by far nin's worst album, high and low. The Slip, reallY? Oof. I'm just not sure how anyone who listens to TDS could take any of those albums mentioned above. Then you have tracks like Wish off of Fixed that take it to a whole new level.

TDS is my least favorite NIN album.

57 minutes ago, skycriesmary said:

56 minutes ago, skycriesmary said:

Yeah, not a bad album by comparison by what he had done the few years before and after. I think I might be unloading my copy before the remasters come out.

With Teeth comes to life live. The line begins to blur is up there as my favourite Nin songs but the album version feels lacking.

Wish is on Broken though ;)

Oddly, while Less Than has garnered wider acceptance and praise than anything off NTAE, I actually like almost everything off of NTAE more than this after a half dozen listens. Will continue to listen though as I'm sure it will hit eventually.

Ordered the PC (free shipping everywhere?! WOO), now to wait on the vinyl PO. 

Edited by Canuckle

Also, given the tone of NIN's music, I find most people's favorite NIN albums align with their teens-early twenties when people are often at their most brooding, angsty, anti-establishment, etc.

Obviously a generalization but it's something I definitely observe when talking to 10 years my younger fans that love WT and YZ while I lean towards TDS and TF. 

50 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Also, given the tone of NIN's music, I find most people's favorite NIN albums align with their teens-early twenties when people are often at their most brooding, angsty, anti-establishment, etc.

Obviously a generalization but it's something I definitely observe when talking to 10 years my younger fans that love WT and YZ while I lean towards TDS and TF. 

I don't know if this is a direct correlation, but I've liked the stuff with Atticus Ross involved a lot less than the pre-Ross stuff.  It very well could have nothing to do with him, it's mainly the releases he's involved in aren't as good to me.

ok, it sounds like name-your-favorite-nails-albums-from-best-to-worst time.  Only studio albums (no Remixes, EPs, Comps, Singles, Live or OSTs).  We'll let Broken be included just because it rules and also because I want to rank it in my list.

1.  The Fragile

2.  Year Zero

3.  The Downward Spiral

4.  Broken

5.  With Teeth

6.  Pretty Hate Machine

7.  Hesitation Marks

8.  Ghosts I-IV

9.  The Slip

3 hours ago, Canuckle said:

Really, the same generalization could be made for all music.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard one of the newer bands and thought to myself that if I was a teenager I probably would dig it, but my adult ears just can't connect to it.  I'm sure a lot of the stuff that I still listen to from the 90s a lot of the younger generation just can't connect with the way I do.  Then again, there are some things that I used to listen to back then that I just can't connect with anymore because I've grown out of it.

I followed NIN's career and purchased all albums (on CD back then) up through The Slip. I didn't love any of them as much as the run from Pretty Hate Machine to The Fragile, but I still enjoyed them. That said, sometime between The Slip's release and Hesitation Marks, something happened and I just can't handle his voice anymore. It sounds so inauthentic that no matter how good the music may be I just can't seem to care about this anymore. We all know he's not an angsty teen or 20-something anymore and hasn't been for a long time, and I certainly picked up on that shift a long time ago, but maybe it's just in the last few years I can't even bother anymore.

36 minutes ago, jeromium said:

I followed NIN's career and purchased all albums (on CD back then) up through The Slip. I didn't love any of them as much as the run from Pretty Hate Machine to The Fragile, but I still enjoyed them. That said, sometime between The Slip's release and Hesitation Marks, something happened and I just can't handle his voice anymore. It sounds so inauthentic that no matter how good the music may be I just can't seem to care about this anymore. We all know he's not an angsty teen or 20-something anymore and hasn't been for a long time, and I certainly picked up on that shift a long time ago, but maybe it's just in the last few years I can't even bother anymore.

~this is why I hope Trent and Atticus keep doing soundtracks

5 hours ago, Canuckle said:

This.

My favorite is Broken. 

However, right behind it is Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, and With Teeth (it really is a great album).

Year Zero is good too, but it's not top 5 for me.

4 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I don't know if this is a direct correlation, but I've liked the stuff with Atticus Ross involved a lot less than the pre-Ross stuff.  It very well could have nothing to do with him, it's mainly the releases he's involved in aren't as good to me.

I dunno, The Social Network S/T is one of my favorite pieces of TR work in the past little while, and even though Ghosts I-IV feel like ideas and not fully formed songs, I loved the concept and enjoy revisiting it every now and again. But I totally get where your coming from given some of the aesthetics AR brings to the table. 

With that said, I'd kill for this on vinyl and think this is some of Ross's best work: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_(Error_EP)

11 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

With that said, I'd kill for this on vinyl and think this is some of Ross's best work: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_(Error_EP)

Error was fucking amazing. Still have my mini-CD of it. Epitaph should definitely press this or at least re-release it on CD. 

1 hour ago, jeromium said:

I get this, and often find myself cringing at some of the lyrics. No one has brought it up yet, but the sober TR definitely has more confidence in his lyrical and voice capabilities... and I almost preferred when he tried to hide his voice under numerous layers. With that said, the vocals has always been down on the list of things that make NIN great, IMO.

29 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

I dunno, The Social Network S/T is one of my favorite pieces of TR work in the past little while, and even though Ghosts I-IV feel like ideas and not fully formed songs, I loved the concept and enjoy revisiting it every now and again. But I totally get where your coming from given some of the aesthetics AR brings to the table. 

I actually really like the soundtrack work they do together, but the NIN material with Ross doesn't really connect with me.  As I mentioned, it could just be coincidence.

Edit : at least not at the level that the earlier material did.  I do enjoy the newer material, it just don't consider it essential like I would PHM -through The Fragile era.

Edited by jonrawks

I knew it was too good to be true.. My Hesitation Marks finally arrived. Bent ass corner.. The box was 5 times as wide as the vinyl and not one ounce of protection inside. Just the vinyl and the huge box... Couldve got a MINT copy at the local store but wanted to support Trent. Had to wait a long as time and its damaged. Im going to lose my shit if any others arrive like this.. People from other countries have sent me MINT vinyl. Why cant this professional Company do the same....  

But besides the corner.. YAY it finally came! Super stoked! Sending for a replacement though.

6tzzXFc.jpg

KgecMud.jpg

Edited by Dustinhxc

1 minute ago, museummouth said:

That's it? That's not worth sending for a replacement over jeez. You're one of those of the people who buy from eBay and want their money back for every little ding aren't you?

Thats not a little ding.. *facepalm* All of my vinyl have arrive perfect or I bought at the store and they were perfect. Two albums EVER have arrived damaged. One was from Hot Topic and I said screw it, I dont care. Not going to bother them over it.. Now this happened and its our favorite band so yes I am very angry. Maybe if there was actual wrap inside the box like how companies are suppose to package fragile items.. Id be like ok it was the USPS fault. But no, it was in there loose, its 100% their fault. Ill tell you one thing, if it was The Fragile Id be losing my shit right now. But hey, Ill gladly trade you if you dont care the condition of your vinyl.

7 hours ago, Cecil said:

With Teeth comes to life live. The line begins to blur is up there as my favourite Nin songs but the album version feels lacking.

Wish is on Broken though ;)

I agree, the tracks off of With Teeth are better live, but still just a flat album.

Also, Wish is on Fixed too (the 14 minute amazeballs version);)