Brick and Mortar record stores.

So I can't help but notice that the average age seems to be younger than myself. I see all this talk about preorder and online ordering. Do you guys still go to physical record stores. Do you know the names of the people who work at them? Do you hang around them? Am I getting old? Do you realize how important these kind of places are?

Just throwing this out for conversation.

I've decided recently that I'd like to wait til release day for new music and hit up a local record store if for nothing else than to just not have my money tied up in POs anymore. BUT, I'm finding it hard to accomplish considering I'll go to 2-3 stores and not find what I want and end up ordering from Amazon in the end.

I work 15 minutes away from Princeton Record Exchange, which is supposed to be one of the best shops in the country, but I feel like I can only rarely find anything I'm looking for. Even popular/mainstream releases I have a hard time locating. It's upsetting that the most consistently stocked brick+mortar that I have access to is an Urban Outfitters. I don't want to give them business, tho, so I opt for Amazon.

Fuck yeah I still go to physical stores. I'm moved all over so it's good to get variety, but some stores are better than others. The best local store for me was Graywhale in SLC. They had so much good music ranging from stoner to doom to post punk to punk to black metal to the classic to blues that my Internet orders went down, even though I still ordered about 50 records that year online. I would go there with my roommate multiple times a week. We went there so often everyone knew us by name, would put stuff on hold for us they knew we would want, ordered stuff for us. That place was the best.

Now I'm in Richmond and go to these two stores that are really good. They aren't as good as Graywhale but that's hard to do. I have also stopped using discogs and eBay. I pretty much just do preorder and physical.

Nothing beats going into a store and digging through stuff while you yell at your buddy who works there for the latest record he bought.

You can do what I did, befriend the employees and eventually ask if they can stock some stuff you are interested in.Even get a couple friends together and go to a store and let them know that all of you guys will buy a certain release if they stock it. Trust me it works. Next thing you know they will be ordering stuff just for you and holding used stuff for you as well haha.

I've got a few local shops, I don't love giving my ex place of employment business. But I like to go on the first saturday of every month, it's 20% off. The other two shops are cool, but I typically only buy $1 records at one and the other has a great selection but it's boutique prices

I buy most of my new releases from Zia because of the 20% off survey coupons you can abuse and they do great on shitty stuff in trade. Lots of used pricing fails too. Double Nickel probably has the best variety in town and I have for sure found some stuff I haven't found elsewhere there. Revolver tends to not have great stock but whenever I go out I stop there too because I like the staff. Record High is usually a little rich for my blood but has a ton of jazz records. Record Room in Scottsdale has had some mispricing but I go because he does well on trades and usually has some decent stuff. Plus it's the same cash and in store credit

I don't know if I was just getting jaded but it just seemed that most peoples main concerns were color vinyl or pressing info and not what's on the actual record.

I mean, if there's a record I really like and there's a PO with variants, of course I'll pick which one I like the best. I don't go out of my way or spend much extra for colors otherwise though

I don't know if I was just getting jaded but it just seemed that most peoples main concerns were color vinyl or pressing info and not what's on the actual record.

I don't give a fuck about that stuff. I'm buying the cheapest, best sounding copy I can. So most of the time that's the Black represses which I'm more than OK with. I'd rather have more albums to listen to than prettier records to look at.

Seriously, nothing is better than digging through your local shop. Fuck all this Internet culture buying everything online. Go support your local shop. Sure, order stuff online that are pre orders and aren't stocked in store. But for the every day stuff go support your local store. Discogs? Shit, go check the used section first.

Absolutely I go to local stores, for all the same reasons as have been mentioned. The Newbury comics in Manchester is hit or miss, but within an hour drive I still have two different Bull Moose options, four other Newbury comics, plus Armageddon Shop in Boston. Anytime I'm doing a show in a new town, or traveling, my first point of order is to find where the best record store is.

Fuck yeah I still go to physical stores. I'm moved all over so it's good to get variety, but some stores are better than others. The best local store for me was Graywhale in SLC. They had so much good music ranging from stoner to doom to post punk to punk to black metal to the classic to blues that my Internet orders went down, even though I still ordered about 50 records that year online. I would go there with my roommate multiple times a week. We went there so often everyone knew us by name, would put stuff on hold for us they knew we would want, ordered stuff for us. That place was the best.

Now I'm in Richmond and go to these two stores that are really good. They aren't as good as Graywhale but that's hard to do. I have also stopped using discogs and eBay. I pretty much just do preorder and physical.

Nothing beats going into a store and digging through stuff while you yell at your buddy who works there for the latest record he bought.

Graywhale <3

giphy.gif

I have a great record store here near Cleveland. I always try to go there to buy records. I usually order the ones from smaller labels that they don't get in.

I even do that with standard releases. I had my local shop order the new Foo EP cause I would rather give my money to them over amazon or Barnes and Noble.

You can do what I did, befriend the employees and eventually ask if they can stock some stuff you are interested in.Even get a couple friends together and go to a store and let them know that all of you guys will buy a certain release if they stock it. Trust me it works. Next thing you know they will be ordering stuff just for you and holding used stuff for you as well haha.

this is a good idea. next time i'm in there and don't find something, i'll mention it to whoevers behind the counter. unfortunately since i work an hour from where i live, i'll have to be a 1 person army going in and asking them to order certain stuff for me since the two people i know who buy vinyl are at least an hour from the shop haha. i wouldn't be able to hit up prex as often as i do if i didn't work so close to it.

I occasionally go to Academy and Human Head in Brooklyn. Travis from Human Head is a great dude and you should all go visit his store and say hi! As for other record stores, I go out of my way to check out stores in other cities that I visit, particularly those with a used section. Do I go regularly? No.

I'm at a Graywhale at least twice a week! The best one in my opinion is the SLC one, but the closest one to me is the one in Sandy, so that's where I'm at the most. I think the trade in section (and overall CD selection) at the Salt Lake location is far better than the other locations. 

I would always go to the U of U location. My roommate and I would hit them up once to three times a week. I miss going in there. Absolutely love that place, and all the employees. I bought a copy of Spiderland off the owner, who is extremely nice. And I have so many funny stories of going there on RSD and waiting over night. Easily the best shop I've ever been to.

I would always go to the U of U location. My roommate and I would hit them up once to three times a week. I miss going in there. Absolutely love that place, and all the employees. I bought a copy of Spiderland off the owner, who is extremely nice. And I have so many funny stories of going there on RSD and waiting over night. Easily the best shop I've ever been to.

I wish I'd have been on this board last summer before I went to SLC. I was trying to find a good record store while I was there. I'll know by the 18th whether I've been accepted for the Utah Arts Fest this year or not, though...if it's a yes, I'll be trying to find this place while I'm there.