Preamp interference?

Its a Pioneer, about 5 years old.

I guess I can wire it up to my home theater for a minute and see what happens...

Aaaaaaand... surround sound interference when wired up to the home theater receiver.

I can clearly hear (with no much static at all) a local radio station.

So through your other amp, you get the same interference.... Do you get it in other inputs or JUST the phono?

Yes, plugged all the inputs. I get the feedback regardless of which input I use.

The Mani was set on

Gain 1 L

Gain 2 H

But trust me when I tell you, I tried every damn setting. Only way it disappears is on 47, rather than 47k, but that's for MC and the music level is way too low. I have a Shure M97xe cart btw

Obviously, you need to find out why the Mani suddenly started picking up a radio station clear as day, and make sure it's not a general problem with all preamps at your location, but I noticed you mentioned getting rid of it and getting a Pluto. Why don't you invest more in your playback system? You buy lots of records, including counterfeit titles, and you've spent money on LED strips, but you don't seem to want to put money into your system.

It may seem like your system is good enough, but trust me, it's very entry level, and you would hear that if you started investing in your system. I'm saying this, not to put you down, but out of respect to a fellow music lover. Getting more out of your music is totally worth the investment.

I know this doesn't help you with your current problem, but I thought I'd throw this out as it may be a good opportunity to get something you can grow into.

I understand I don't have a multi thousand dollar stereo. Sounds great to my wife and I. However I have been looking into purchasing an amp and some new bookshelf speakers. Truth is, this isnt really my main hobby. I'm a car nut. Most of my "hobby" money goes into cars.

Can we get back to the Mani and the odd occurrence?

I think I may call the radio station tomorrow and see if they upgraded their signal. Weird though, when I throw an older cheapo preamp in there, I get zero feedback.

We might be missing a trick here in that the problem might be the Pioneer and not the Mani.

The Pioneer does have a radio tuner in it so has the means of doing this all on it's own and connecting the Mani might just be acting as an aerial.

The only way to prove this is to plug the Mani into another audio system be that your computer or a pair of powered speakers or hifi system, anything that has a line level input and a speaker or headphone output will do to prove the point but it does need to be in the same location that you are having the problem. 

I think at this stage all you can do is get an RA number and send it back to them. You've pinpointed where the fault is so now it's either replacement, repair or some means of shielding that works and as I said earlier electrical noise especially radio type noise has driven design engineers mad for years so shielding will be luck once you're past the basics.

That or admit the voices are actually in your own head and just accept it.

• 2 weeks later...