Record Store Day 2016

SOS

So, I've managed to cross wires, and find myself in Washington, DC on RSD (which I wasn't planning).  Anybody from the area or familiar with it enough (and kind enough) to offer recommendations on which shops are worth hitting?

My brother lives there, but otherwise I'm completely unfamiliar with the area. 

SOS

So, I've managed to cross wires, and find myself in Washington, DC on RSD (which I wasn't planning). Anybody from the area or familiar with it enough (and kind enough) to offer recommendations on which shops are worth hitting?

Crooked Beat if you're actually in DC. Bill will have the biggest inventory and runs its really well. They line everyone up and bring you up to the counter, where you give one of the clerks your order and they pull what they have from it. Pretty easy system, but by far the busiest place. A lot of other places order light because everyone knows to go to Crooked Beat. Som and Smash will have some stuff though, but I wouldn't rely on them.

Where in DC? There a few places. Depends on where you are and what you are looking for.

I'll be in the neighborhood of the Verizon Center, which looks to put me about a 30-45 minute walk from Som, Crooked Beat, Smash, Joint Custody, and Red Onion.

I guess I was talking specifically record store day - I'd rather hit a place that had fewer of each item and a wider variety as opposed to a place that had fewer titles but multiple of the bigger ticket ones.

In general though, any recommendation on a place that's good for crate digging? Oddball stuff, hip hop singles, trip hop / dance singles, novelty records, and the like? More disorganized the better. Also looking for movie scores/soundtracks, and sci-fi synthy stuff (in the same vein as like, BBC's radiophonic). But really, a little bit of everything.

Crooked Beat if you're actually in DC. Bill will have the biggest inventory and runs its really well. They line everyone up and bring you up to the counter, where you give one of the clerks your order and they pull what they have from it. Pretty easy system, but by far the busiest place. A lot of other places order light because everyone knows to go to Crooked Beat. Som and Smash will have some stuff though, but I wouldn't rely on them.

Thanks! This is super helpful!!!

All of the go to shops are in the same neighborhood. Start at Som, walk down U street and drop into Joint Custody, then take a right up 18th and hit up Crooked and Smash. There aren't any LP's in Chinatown unless you want to dig through Urban Outfitters. You can get a cab or Uber cheap enough to the neighborhood the shops are in.

All of the go to shops are in the same neighborhood. Start at Som, walk down U street and drop into Joint Custody, then take a right up 18th and hit up Crooked and Smash. There aren't any LP's in Chinatown unless you want to dig through Urban Outfitters. You can get a cab or Uber cheap enough to the neighborhood the shops are in.

Awesome. Thanks!

SOS

So, I've managed to cross wires, and find myself in Washington, DC on RSD (which I wasn't planning). Anybody from the area or familiar with it enough (and kind enough) to offer recommendations on which shops are worth hitting?

I live in Northern Virginia, but I will be making the two hour drive to camp out at Sound Garden in Baltimore the night before.

They carry the largest stock of many different items. While they don't carry the whole list of what is released that day, (they order just about everything, however not all of it shows up) I find I can get about 80% of my list, at that one store.

That being said, if you want to PM me, we can swap lists and see if we can help each other get our missing items.

I need a Weepies if anybody sees one. Even IF Sound Garden gets one, as I like that album so much, I will want two copies. ;)

SOS

So, I've managed to cross wires, and find myself in Washington, DC on RSD (which I wasn't planning).  Anybody from the area or familiar with it enough (and kind enough) to offer recommendations on which shops are worth hitting?

Since the other replies covered all the shops in the Adams Morgan area, I'll just mention Hill & Dale in Georgetown as far as RSD stuff, and CD Cellar in nearby Falls Church, VA for crate-digging. H&D is exclusively new stuff but is also completely hidden and as a result probably the best spot for avoiding the RSD lines. CD Cellar on the other hand is a glorious mess and basically dumps all their new and used stuff together alphabetically under either 'rock' or 'jazz'. I find a lot of gems there.

The Nothing RSD release has moved up my board. Didn't realize that was "only" /1100 so I'm thinking it might be a bit tougher to get. I'm refusing to listen to the leaks for that album, so that's my chance to hear another new song before the album comes out.

don't know why some sites have it at /1100 but it's actually /2000

Apologies if this has been posted (or deserves its own thread) but Jealous Butcher are re-issuing Kind of Like Spitting's You Secretly Want Me Dead on RSD 2016.  I don't think it's an official RSD release but they are using the RSD title in the promotion for it.

As of now, this is the only RSD release I'm buying so I'm excited for it.

http://www.jealousbutcher.com/collections/pre-order/products/you-secretly-want-me-dead-rsd-2016