New Vinyl, Damaged Sleeves

New to the world of vinyl--picked up a TT over the holiday season and started a meagre collection. Picked Kamasi Washington's 3-disc box new from local shop. Unfortunately, when I opened it, all three outer sleeves and inner sleeves were ripped...

HB6bnQP.jpgPMt5R7G.jpg

I am by no means a collector, but at the same time, I was expecting new condition. Concerned, I contacted the shop I bought it from and was told "it happens." No offer to remedy/exchange. I then contacted Brainfeeder Records directly to see if I could arrange for some replacement sleeves. Sent a msg via their website and waited a month--nothing. Over the following month, tried two more times emailing and not a peep... not even a "no."

Anyways, just wondering if this is just the kind of "service" to expect dealing with vinyl. Anyone else run into this and managed to get replacement sleeves? Any recommendations? Bugs me to listen to these now.

Welcome to THE HOBBY!!!

This is unfortunately normal and happens from time to time. As was said, some labels are cool and have no issue with hooking you with replacements sleeves. But some just won't.

From the looks of the pics, it's overall pretty minor. Surely it'll bug and annoy you, but as long as the records themselves are OK and playable and sound good, it'll all be in good shape.

It's the shitty part about vinyl. Happens often, especially when buying online. It's because the record bounces around in the sleeve during transit, and when a hard, plastic object meets creased paper it can often win. Really the only remedy is to ship the record outside of the sleeve. A few labels will do this, but unfortunately most retailers won't because it's 1: a pain, and 2: you get people that will whine that their new record is "used". I've seen websites get negative reviews for doing this because "they sell used records as 'new'".

So yeah, while its a real bummer, it's just something you have to get used to.

It's the shitty part about vinyl. Happens often, especially when buying online. It's because the record bounces around in the sleeve during transit, and when a hard, plastic object meets creased paper it can often win. Really the only remedy is to ship the record outside of the sleeve. A few labels will do this, but unfortunately most retailers won't because it's 1: a pain, and 2: you get people that will whine that their new record is "used". I've seen websites get negative reviews for doing this because "they sell used records as 'new'".

So yeah, while its a real bummer, it's just something you have to get used to.

The Amazon reviews for SRC pressings are fuckin ridiculous. Clueless people bitching about getting opened records.

Clueless people bitching about getting opened records.

Someone pulled that with Magic Bullet records, but to make it even better, they also complained that the record was a gift for their girlfriend and it had also been vandalized by someone carving offensive comments in the dead wax.

We're all collectors and I imagine most of us prefer our records and jackets to be in good condition. This kind of thing is annoying but it does happen sometimes. Like otters said, as long as the record its self  is okay, it's not a big deal. That's a bummer the label won't even respond to an email though. 

I bought an Owen record off discogs a few months back and when the package arrived it looks like it had been run over by a truck. I swear it looks like it had been bent in half too. I was absolutely amazed when I opened it and the record itself was undamaged. Of course the jacket was ripped and creased in many places.  I was working on completing my Owen variant collection at the time and we really upset about the damaged cover. I sent Polyvinyl an email and asked if they had any extra covers and offered to pay for a replacement. They sent me a new cover free of charge! They didn't even ask for shipping.

Some labels have great service while others miss the mark.

We're all collectors and I imagine most of us prefer our records and jackets to be in good condition. This kind of thing is annoying but it does happen sometimes. Like otters said, as long as the record its self  is okay, it's not a big deal. That's a bummer the label won't even respond to an email though. 

I bought an Owen record off discogs a few months back and when the package arrived it looks like it had been run over by a truck. I swear it looks like it had been bent in half too. I was absolutely amazed when I opened it and the record itself was undamaged. Of course the jacket was ripped and creased in many places.  I was working on completing my Owen variant collection at the time and we really upset about the damaged cover. I sent Polyvinyl an email and asked if they had any extra covers and offered to pay for a replacement. They sent me a new cover free of charge! They didn't even ask for shipping.

Some labels have great service while others miss the mark.

Polyvinyl is awesome. They sent me a replacement cover free of charge before as well, and did not even entertain the thought of taking money for shipping or it when I tried to pay them.

New to the world of vinyl--picked up a TT over the holiday season and started a meagre collection. Picked Kamasi Washington's 3-disc box new from local shop. Unfortunately, when I opened it, all three outer sleeves and inner sleeves were ripped...

HB6bnQP.jpgPMt5R7G.jpg

I am by no means a collector, but at the same time, I was expecting new condition. Concerned, I contacted the shop I bought it from and was told "it happens." No offer to remedy/exchange. I then contacted Brainfeeder Records directly to see if I could arrange for some replacement sleeves. Sent a msg via their website and waited a month--nothing. Over the following month, tried two more times emailing and not a peep... not even a "no."

Anyways, just wondering if this is just the kind of "service" to expect dealing with vinyl. Anyone else run into this and managed to get replacement sleeves? Any recommendations? Bugs me to listen to these now.

On the plus side, that's a fucking killer album.

Move to Japan.  My girlfriend's employer exports airplane parts and chemicals to their ministry of defense and they always ask for returns on superficial damage like tiny dents in cans and torn product labels.

Zero defects, total quality management, Kaizen... this is why Toyota and many other Japanese companies are so successful.

Edit:  Forgot Six Sigma   :)

Move to Japan.  My girlfriend's employer exports airplane parts and chemicals to their ministry of defense and they always ask for returns on superficial damage like tiny dents in cans and torn product labels.

The one record I bought from Japan got to me in two days. It was really impressive.