The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

This months album was just announced earlier today. I am not familiar with them at all honesty but the little bit I heard sounds pretty good. Unless I get some referral credit though I think I am going to skip this month, it is not $27 good.

Wells Fargo - Watch Out!

My referral link if anyone is thinking about joining, gives us both $10 credit.

14 minutes ago, hype said:

This months album was just announced earlier today. I am not familiar with them at all honesty but the little bit I heard sounds pretty good. Unless I get some referral credit though I think I am going to skip this month, it is not $27 good.

Wells Fargo - Watch Out!

My referral link if anyone is thinking about joining, gives us both $10 credit.

same

I'm honestly intrigued by it and think it's cool that they are basically doing some archival type shit.  That said, I also refuse to pay 27 bucks for something I haven't heard even a full song of.   Will probably upgrade to the 3 month plan so I can swap out for Dilla (and then see how people react when it drops and whether it leaks).  

3 minutes ago, downisthenewup87 said:

I'm honestly intrigued by it and think it's cool that they are basically doing some archival type shit.  That said, I also refuse to pay 27 bucks for something I haven't heard even a full song of.   Will probably upgrade to the 3 month plan so I can swap out for Dilla (and then see how people react when it drops and whether it leaks).  

I completely agree, it is nice seeing them not being afraid to do some less known underrated music like this instead of just re-releasing a bunch of stuff that is already readily available.

A lot of people do seem excited about it, I guess all these songs were only previously available on separate 7"/45's until now.

There is also the full track to the title song on there official page as well.

Wells Fargo - Watch Out! (Vinyl Me, Please Release Page)

1 hour ago, hype said:

I completely agree, it is nice seeing them not being afraid to do some less known underrated music like this instead of just re-releasing a bunch of stuff that is already readily available.

A lot of people do seem excited about it, I guess all these songs were only previously available on separate 7"/45's until now.

There is also the full track to the title song on there official page as well.

Wells Fargo - Watch Out! (Vinyl Me, Please Release Page)

I actually really like that song... that said, I'm sure it will be available for the next 6 months or so (plenty of time for somebody to upload it somewhere) whereas the Dilla is getting low in stock. 

Will probably drop down to crate this month. Its not the worst thing I've ever heard but I can't justify $27 when I probably wouldn't listen to it. I also realized these pressings are also kind of the point of Vinyl Me Please, to expose people to music that they probably wouldn't hear or seek out on their own. 

Excited for this as I find VMP's best releases are for those records that were never pressed before / needed a redo (Four Tet, Big Bill Bronzy, Menomena).

While it is a lot for an international subscriber, I'm ok with the risk :)

Plus it will be my one year anniversary and I can't stop there. 

Such a fan of this release. Personally i've had more than enough of the 90's early 2000 releases of the last year. Obscure challenging areas are what a club should be about! And if your not familiar with this band no worries, the zamrock/late 70's african rock is great! Well worth exploration. 

I used to review CDs from 2002-2008.  The novelty and joy of hearing something unknown and obscure has died for me thanks to the thousands of terrible terrible CDs by hundreds of terrible bands I had to listen to in that timeframe.  This could be a cool record that I enjoy but I can find that out for free by listening to a stream or more samples down the road instead of paying $27  to sample it.  

That said, VMP should definitely be pressing stuff like this over electro-pop singer LPs and random alternative releases from the 90s.  If their subscription cost was $17 a month, I would be more inclined to subscribe blindly to a service that sends out hard to find, lost records.

Edited by rds

Same story as the guy above. 

I also use to download thousands of random artists on Soulseek back in the day. I've heard enough old stuff to realize most of its not for me. 

I'm all for the club exposing me to music I'd otherwise not find or give a chance on my own , but id prefer it at least be new and relevant and polished. The vocals on the tracks I've heard are pretty rough , and I can't really see the appeal of the band at all other than the obscurity/cool factor. I can see a lot of lost customers this month. 

I also use to download thousands of random artists on Soulseek back in the day. I've heard enough old stuff to realize most of its not for me. This month's album sounds like lots of the stuff you can find buried in a box at a thrift store for a dollar. 

I'm all for the club exposing me to music I'd otherwise not find or give a chance on my own , but id prefer it at least be new and relevant and polished. The vocals on the tracks I've heard are pretty rough , and I can't really see the appeal of the band at all other than the obscurity/cool factor. I can see a lot of lost customers this month. 

Edited by McNutsack

26 minutes ago, McNutsack said:

I also use to download thousands of random artists on Soulseek back in the day. I've heard enough old stuff to realize most of its not for me. This month's album sounds like lots of the stuff you can find buried in a box at a thrift store for a dollar. 

no worries to each his own! Hopefully in the future a club like VMP could have several different genre's, specially areas to choose from for their monthly subscription. In the same way some don't like releases like this others, like myself do not like to retread stuff that i've heard countless times in other formats. Until then discogs and eBay are our friends. I'd just hate for a club like this to simply cater to mass market releases instead of exploring a bit.

4 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

looking forward to the wells fargo release. way better than months when i got shafted with torres or lapsley. have a hard time giving those records away.

seems like the service is doing well. i would favor an option that allows me to opt out of a certain genre and get a different store record that month instead.

idk if you just mean in general not to get a certain genre but there is an option to swap any months choice with something from the archive instead as long as you are on a 3+ month plan.

35 minutes ago, hype said:

idk if you just mean in general not to get a certain genre but there is an option to swap any months choice with something from the archive instead as long as you are on a 3+ month plan.

thanks for heads up. i did not know this. link in case others are interested : http://blog.vinylmeplease.com/introducing-swaps/

edit: looks like this is only good for titles moving forward (may 2016 onward). a nice feature, but still stuck with lapsley.

Edited by WAXXX
more info

1 hour ago, WAXXX said:

looking forward to the wells fargo release. way better than months when i got shafted with torres or lapsley. have a hard time giving those records away.

seems like the service is doing well. i would favor an option that allows me to opt out of a certain genre and get a different store record that month instead.

I actually like that Torres album a lot but I agree it shouldn't have been a featured album considering it was a single LP easily found for under 20 buck when released.  Keep those type of albums as store exclusives.

And definitely need better secondary options for AoTM when you have more than a month to month subscription.... 

On May 20, 2016 at 1:32 PM, tacosupemekohl said:

VMP got back to me. They said "they ship out any record that has been paid for."  So you can order a record from the store and then not renew for next month. 

Cool beans.

Really hope this is the case as I've decide I'm probably gonna cancel but have ordered Sia/CSH and still want them.  All these amazing May releases have destroyed my wallet, and I've decided I need the FLUME deluxe after hearing the album. 

Also, I just clarified how the swap works for anyone who is curious.  Basically, you can swap once during your three month plan and are allowed to switch for any in stock AotM from the past or a handful of select titles (this month Pink Floyd, Jurassic 5 are among the options).  

59 minutes ago, Domiendr said:

Sorry for asking all these dumb questions but I could only find a crate link for US orders and can't find anything on the site or Faq for international orders or if it's even possible.

No dumb questions, I was the same way when I first joined as well. I would say since your question is somewhat unique just to contact Vinyl Me, Please and ask them directly. They are quick and are usually more then happy to answer any questions or concerns from my experience.