The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

2 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

For me, Gorillaz is nostalgic and reminds me of 2005 and what I was into at the time. I listened to DD the other day, and it still grooved; but I'm not sure I would feel the same way if it was released today.

As for VMP, it makes sense that this sold out with their 20k+(or more?) already existing members, and new sign-ups. They have stated that they want to reduce the runs of the ROTM and try to put value on actually being a member versus trying to hunt an album down in the aftermarket for 1/2 price. It is yet to be seen if this works... but I'm sure you will find a handful of DD in the aftermarket from members not interested in it. You just may have to pay a little premium (until there is inevitably a black press...)

Also, love the salt around people thinking VMP is curating peoples listening habits. I subscribe because I have the disposable income to get a random record each month that someone thinks I should listen to. This is no different than walking into a record store and asking the clerk what they recommend this month. For me, VMP is 50/50 and while a lot of packages are spot on, the music doesn't hit for me (Lapsley, Nada Surf, Wilco). But I'm ok with this as the rest of my dough goes to albums I know I want. 

I've been a member since August (signed up for Z) and so far there hasn't been one ROTM I got that was a complete miss.  Nina Simone isn't my thing but I can certainly appreciate the record and Tennis isn't my favorite.  But most of them I can at least appreciate why people like it.  So far 2017 seems like their best selections yet.  

7 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Unpopular opinion, since this is a VMP thread and not a Gorillaz thread: can someone explain the main appeal of Gorillaz?  Or Demon Days in general?  I knew that OP copies fetched a nice coin, and that its lack of a repress has made it desirable over the years as a collector's piece... but musically speaking, I mean.  What did this album do – even if it's for you, on a personal note – that has placed it on such a pedestal? 

You made me think back to that time - damn you D !

My attraction stemmed from the setting in the world at that time.  Bush; society was raging because of our 'influence' in the Middle East, and the following 'terrorist' times that all of us started experiencing, like our friends in war zones; weapons of death started exploding as far as access to them (guns) here in the U.S.; egos inflated by what we saw on T.V., to numb us from what was happening in our society

From front to back, one of the best complete albums of the decade.

Kids With Guns - my fav off the album, the song summed up the times and where we were headed.  One of the best songs of the '00s, easily.  The back end of the song still gets me. 
Their 1 day festival in London this year sold out in a few hours.  Understandable that the reissue of their best album sold out in a day.

I also believe that VMP isn't the only outlet we will see sell this.  

3 hours ago, DOMAN127 said:

How about a Mansun release instead?

2 hours ago, YouTwo said:

I think "Wide Open Space" was their biggest hit.  But I really like "Six" (And I'm talking about the full 8 minute version, not the edited US version).

I think I could deal with a repress for these guys, good stuff.

2 hours ago, YouTwo said:

I've been a member since August (signed up for Z) and so far there hasn't been one ROTM I got that was a complete miss.  Nina Simone isn't my thing but I can certainly appreciate the record and Tennis isn't my favorite.  But most of them I can at least appreciate why people like it.  So far 2017 seems like their best selections yet.  

They really have been on point since Lapsley, IMO (I can understand those who also disliked Glass Animals). Tennis may end that streak for me, as all new releases appear to be hit/miss but The Books -> Main Source was fire. 

45 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Appreciate all the insightful responses to my question, and I'm glad to see a lot of people are grabbing the album for reasons that stretch beyond mob buzz, hivemind mentality, or general elusiveness of the album on vinyl.

It is interesting that a lot of people, myself included, are commenting on its' connection to a certain time in our lives, over the quality of the music. I think the album is great but I believe it represents more of a point in time than a timeless album, if that makes sense?

1 minute ago, hype said:

Do they have certain days where they add things to the sale section or is it just random? 

Stuff could randomly show up but a lot of times it's when the store opens.  Unless they have a garage sale which seems like one is coming up.  Then they will announce when stuff is added.

1 minute ago, YouTwo said:

Stuff could randomly show up but a lot of times it's when the store opens.  Unless they have a garage sale which seems like one is coming up.  Then they will announce when stuff is added.

Alright, thanks. It def. feels like a good time for a sale to get rid of a lot of stock with so many new members once they have a chance to buy things at full price for a bit first of course haha

2 minutes ago, hype said:

Alright, thanks. It def. feels like a good time for a sale to get rid of a lot of stock with so many new members once they have a chance to buy things at full price for a bit first of course haha

Yeah, but I haven't been around for a garage sale.  Apparently it's a blood bath because there's such limited quantities for everything.  It's usually the stock they reserved for replacements in case of defective records.  

11 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

Yeah, but I haven't been around for a garage sale.  Apparently it's a blood bath because there's such limited quantities for everything.  It's usually the stock they reserved for replacements in case of defective records.  

Yeah, that community is super quick about making anything limited sell out quick especially now with more members then ever. I can see anything remotely good being gone within a few minutes.

1 minute ago, hype said:

Yeah, that community is super quick about making anything limited sell out quick especially now with more members then ever. I can see anything remotely good being gone within a few minutes.

Yeah, but sometimes their taste and mine differ.  I'd be all over a $10 Youth Lagoon recored but that thing has been in the sale section for a while now.  

Garage sale items get gobbled up quickly, so really no need to utilize the larger user base to get rid of items; however it may be advantageous to show people another advantage of the club. That being said, the sale only happens a couple times a year so who knows...

And yes, their taste tends to skew older. I love that YL album and would be all over it as well. Heck I purchased Combat!, Nearly Oratorio, Reuben and Ritual Howls all for full price when they were released.... and they all sit there for dirt cheap now. 

15 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Unpopular opinion, since this is a VMP thread and not a Gorillaz thread: can someone explain the main appeal of Gorillaz?  Or Demon Days in general?  I knew that OP copies fetched a nice coin, and that its lack of a repress has made it desirable over the years as a collector's piece... but musically speaking, I mean.  What did this album do – even if it's for you, on a personal note – that has placed it on such a pedestal?  Way before the referral chatter, DOMAN said that the middle of the record is the only part he considers good... and to me, even that's pretty generous.  I guess you can chalk it up to different strokes for different folks, but this isn't one album I was particularly fond to revisit from my youth.  What do Gorillaz do that puts them on the map other than being a virtual band?  Trying my best to ask this sincerely and without condescending undertones.

For me, mostly nostalgia. I was in the 7th grade when this came out and it was very different from most other things getting played on tv (music videos were still huge) and they blended genres better than their peers. It has 'radio hits' that still get played to this day, and I have lots of memories growing up with it. Im guessing its mostly people 20-25 who are going crazy about this. I'm not quite sure exactly how to phrase this, but most people in their 20s  (me included) seem to want to own the 'Big' albums from their younger days (mid 2000s) and a lot of those records were oddballs who got decent mainstream exposure which caused a large fanbase to grow instead of a small niche-like following in most subgenres, causing some bands to gain lots of  mainstream fans (Brand New is a good example if this) not sure where Im going with this other than people like to feel special for liking something 10 years ago and still thinking its cool. 

On 3/21/2017 at 0:38 AM, Derek™ said:

Unpopular opinion, since this is a VMP thread and not a Gorillaz thread: can someone explain the main appeal of Gorillaz?  Or Demon Days in general?  I knew that OP copies fetched a nice coin, and that its lack of a repress has made it desirable over the years as a collector's piece... but musically speaking, I mean.  What did this album do – even if it's for you, on a personal note – that has placed it on such a pedestal?  Way before the referral chatter, DOMAN said that the middle of the record is the only part he considers good... and to me, even that's pretty generous.  I guess you can chalk it up to different strokes for different folks, but this isn't one album I was particularly fond to revisit from my youth.  What do Gorillaz do that puts them on the map other than being a virtual band?  Trying my best to ask this sincerely and without condescending undertones.

I just feel like adding my two cents because I am so excited to get this album and have been listening to it a lot since this VMP announcement.

I will agree, most of the hype can be attributed to the lack of any represses, but at the same time there has to be some demand for the record for the lack of represses to actually be felt. Also, I would say my love for this album is somewhat nostalgic too. I vividly remember demanding someone to take me to Target so I could buy this CD, and the next day listening to it non-stop on an 8 hour road trip. Being an early teen, it was one of my first introductions to any sort of hip-hop, and it for sure was my first time listening to MF DOOM (oh, what a world that opened me up to).

From a purely musical standpoint, it blended multiple genres so incredibly well. Albarn just knows how to write a good, catchy tune and there is a little bit of something for everyone on this album, yet still feels very cohesive and manages to have a "sound", if you will. The lyrical subjects fit well with the time it was released, it was Dangermouse's breakthrough record and he was pretty much flawless here. The features were near perfect; very tastefully used and with purpose. It was just a ton talent on one album and it hit all the targets they were aiming for in my opinion. Upon revisiting the album throughout the years I feel the album hardly lulls. So yeah, anyway, I am beyond stoked to be able to finally own this record.

Edited by ConeyAllen
grammar / puncuation fix

9 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I'm glad to see a lot of people are grabbing the album for reasons that stretch beyond mob buzz, hivemind mentality, or general elusiveness of the album on vinyl.

don't get us wrong, those types of people definitely make up a significant portion of why yesterday's announcement caught so much fire. there's always going to be those collectors that see these types of album reissues hyped and think they have to own it to be apart of the craze in some sort of way (regardless of ever hearing the artist or music). I think the same can be said about albums like dark side of the moon where it's been drilled subconsciously into everyone's head that they have to own a copy, again, regardless of how little they like it because "everyone considers it a classic must own record"

now pair this mentality with an extremely out of print album being reissued through a "music discovery" service like VMP and you now have an additional 20k+ people thinking "hey, everyone is going crazy over this, I need to get it, must be good!!"

and then, pair it again, with a "news" outlet like Pitchfork taking this big music news (which it was) and exposing it to another huge audience that probably don't even own record players or collect vinyl but were probably considering the purchase because again, hyped must-own collector/listener mentality.

just my $.02

On Tue Mar 21 2017 at 0:59 AM, vinyl addict said:

Damn is right, I paidless than $75 for mine, and I doubt I'd sell it for $300 either, though I rarely sell vinyl. Usually only if it's a bad master or press.

Randomly bought demon days and Crimson by the alkaline trio from hot  topic in (I think) 04 when they came out.  Can't be too upset that they both got repressed tho... Even tho I haven't spun the vinyl that often (I don't think I've ever played the Gorillaz album) I've still enjoyed them quite a bit in the last 13 years and I hope others will too. 

Demon Days is a straight-up classic that deeply impacted the youth of that era.  It sounded unlike anything my friends and I had heard and quickly turned into THE album of that pivotal summer seperating my last year of high school and the beginning of college.  It's singles were plastered across Denver's FM in the moment just before radio's dying days.

It introduced countless suburban youth to underground hip-hop and was (along with the first Gorillaz album) one of the first albums to blend rock, rap and electronica seemlessly.  (Nearly every white hip-hop junkie I've been friends with over the years lists either Demon Days or the self-titled album as a touchstone that served to springboard their love of the genre.)

Oddly, I was a part of this exact conversation months ago on the VMP forums and it continues to surprise me how many people underestimate just how iconic this album is.  Perhaps its a generational thing... 

Edited by downisthenewup87

1 hour ago, downisthenewup87 said:

... one of the first albums to blend rock, rap and electronica seamlessly.

I'd argue it was beaten to the punch by Unkle's - Psyence Fiction but still if this album represents an epiphany moment or turning point for a whole bunch of people I totally get why everyone went so batshit about this re-issue.