The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

Bummed about missing Noname. Signed back up to get on the waiting list, but not in time, I guess. Still on the waiting list for Common, but I'm not really into that album (would way rather have gotten Phrenology from that year). I still want a spot in the sub though, so I'm slightly conflicted. Really hoping they announce the third month soon and it's a homerun.

Got Biggie and new WOD on the way though. And planning to spend a dumb amount in the store later this month. Excited to see what the last few exclusives will be. There's apparently going to be 10 total this month!

Edited by erikness

Well, great news on Ready To Die!

It was a roller coaster since someone posted the liner notes from this release first and it did not show several of the samples that had been removed but a few people have listened to there copies and supposedly all the samples are back in tact including the Parliament sample on Machine Gun Funk. So I guess they just used an older liner sheet and forgot to update it for this release? Either way, it got me much more pumped to get this in the mail now. They are also saying it sounds great.

49 minutes ago, hype said:

Well, great news on Ready To Die!

It was a roller coaster since someone posted the liner notes from this release first and it did not show several of the samples that had been removed but a few people have listened to there copies and supposedly all the samples are back in tact including the Parliament sample on Machine Gun Funk. So I guess they just used an older liner sheet and forgot to update it for this release? Either way, it got me much more pumped to get this in the mail now. They are also saying it sounds great.

Excellent! I have the RSD pressing, which in my opinion is kinda subpar, so I ended up rolling the die and reupping my membership solely for the chance to get UGK later in the month.  Would you happen to know if it has the correct samples for "Ready to Die"?

1 hour ago, PookdaddyG said:

Excellent! I have the RSD pressing, which in my opinion is kinda subpar, so I ended up rolling the die and reupping my membership solely for the chance to get UGK later in the month.  Would you happen to know if it has the correct samples for "Ready to Die"?

Yeah, the same guy confirmed that as well so it looks to have everything from the original release sample wise.

Looks like a few lyrics were altered/censored though...

[–]BTsBaboonFarmPro-Ject 2 points an hour ago 

Thanks for confirming the samples. Did you listen for whether or not the original "uncensored" lyrics (not curse words, but the words "blue suits" in MGF and "Pregnant"/"Strangled" in Gimme the Loot) were used.

[–]creator12Yamaha[S] 2 points an hour ago 

blue suits

Bad news, it's replaced by sirens.

Also pregnant and strangled are warped censored.

:l

I asked him about "World Trade" in Juicy being censored so we'll see about that. 

Honestly though I would have much rather had the original lyrics as well but I can live with these changes with all the samples being back in tact at least.

9 minutes ago, hype said:

Yeah, the same guy confirmed that as well so it looks to have everything from the original release sample wise.

Looks like a few lyrics were altered/censored though...

I asked him about "World Trade" in Juicy being censored so we'll see about that. 

Honestly though I would have much rather had the original lyrics as well but I can live with these changes with all the samples being back in tact at least.

The 3 lyrics in question were always censored on official releases (including the original 1994 ones). Not sure why everyone is worried about that so much. The samples being in tact are a way bigger deal.

Edited by erikness

58 minutes ago, erikness said:

The 3 lyrics in question were always censored on official releases (including the original 1994 ones). Not sure why everyone is worried about that so much. The samples being in tact are a way bigger deal.

I don't think many people really care about the lyric changes that much at all it was def. all about the samples. The world trade lyrics weren't censored on the official release though? The same guy said "World Trade" lyrics are back anyways though so all that's left out is the lyric changes above which are not too big of a deal at all.

1 minute ago, hype said:

I don't think many people really care about the lyric changes that much at all it was def. all about the samples. The world trade lyrics weren't censored on the official release though? The same guy said "World Trade" lyrics are back anyways though so all that's left out is the lyric changes above which are not too big of a deal at all.

The only censored lyrics on the original and remastered releases are "pregnant" and "strangled" in "Gimme the Loot" and "Blue suits" in "Machine Gun Funk", but like I said, they were always censored on the official releases. "World Trade" may have been censored on subsequent reissues that I haven't heard, but as far as I've seen isn't on the VMP reissue.

The samples are a big deal because they were omitted on the remaster after 10 years of listening to the original version with the original artwork, so it was off-putting, and has been that way since 2004. Not sure how VMP pulled this off, honestly. Might be one of the reasons they were being so coy  about the original samples during the lead-up to this release. :ph34r:

Oh ok, I forgot about Blue Suits as the third so I thought you meant World Trade.

Yeah, it was really strange how they were avoiding the sampling questions up until now and then they aren't on the liner notes either haha.. I would like to hear the story behind it all at some point though because it def. has me curious now.

17 hours ago, ethereal said:

anyone else surprised biggie isn't a gatefold? two printed sleeves with heavy discs in a single gatefold is mega stuffy. everything else about the release is awesome.

IDK, I think it's working for this particular release. It is a wider spine than most pocketed sleeves. 

Just now, PookdaddyG said:

Can someone fill me in on the secret 7inch? I got a copy with my Biggie order. Does everyone get one or is it random? I guess I'm just asking what the method to their madness is. 

It's like 3,000 copies at random.   I've only ever got one and that was Dent May last month.  

Just now, PookdaddyG said:

Can someone fill me in on the secret 7inch? I got a copy with my Biggie order. Does everyone get one or is it random? I guess I'm just asking what the method to their madness is. 

It's random. I always order multiple records a month so that's probably why they don't give me one <_<