The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

I went to cancel my monthly membership, since I don't want the AM album, and it says, "Your membership will end on April 2, 2018. You have 1 shipments remaining." I've already received the Beach House record, so does this mean I'm stuck with the AM record? It's still giving me the option to swap the AM record too.

3 hours ago, Sunshine said:

How is it any less inspiring than any other month? This is a pretty monumental record and they've been riding that as the reason.

Most months they at least try to make it interesting. A long out of press classic here, a remastered and reissued under the radar indie there, not to mention some crazy stuff completely out of left field on occasion. AM, to me, epitomizes everything wrong and boring with “indie” music of the last two decades. Should’ve been left to the dustbin of music history. Maybe it’s a harsh and unpopular opinion but it’s just not for me. 

I know they’re catering to a specific crowd and this ticks all the boxes but I just find it to be a very plain pick. Plus it’s easily available, slapping a new color on it doesn’t make it a required album to own. 

To each their own though. One of the things I like most about this forum is people don’t tend to shit on artists they don’t care for. I just think it could be a more interesting pick. 

Having dismissed Arctic Monkeys for ages - mostly because of Tumblr’s affinity for AM - I only recently started exploring this album after years of having friends insist it’s solid.  And it’s a hell of a lot of fun.  Some of the riffs on this record have no right being as massive and infectious as they are.  The album has a really nice runtime and pacing, too.  Scoping reviews and meta / cumulative scores, it appears to have aged pretty well since 2006.  Stoked to grab it.

(Two kind souls have reached out via PM and this thread to hook me up – feel free to contact me when your copy arrives.)

And to the guy who mentioned being able to flip-flop between a true subscription and a Crate sub... thanks.  I’ll have to look into that.  But for now I’m aiming to keep it simple so long as my VC hookups are willing to help me out.

1 hour ago, pepperonigin said:

Most months they at least try to make it interesting. A long out of press classic here, a remastered and reissued under the radar indie there, not to mention some crazy stuff completely out of left field on occasion. AM, to me, epitomizes everything wrong and boring with “indie” music of the last two decades. Should’ve been left to the dustbin of music history. Maybe it’s a harsh and unpopular opinion but it’s just not for me. 

I know they’re catering to a specific crowd and this ticks all the boxes but I just find it to be a very plain pick. Plus it’s easily available, slapping a new color on it doesn’t make it a required album to own. 

To each their own though. One of the things I like most about this forum is people don’t tend to shit on artists they don’t care for. I just think it could be a more interesting pick. 

The album is music history though that isn't really debatable. The National was a way worse pick and I love that album. I just don't see how it could be seen as an unthoughtful pick even from a biased opinion.

I just find it to be forgettable. There are some things to like about it but ultimately I never have a desire to listen to it ever again. I did enjoy it to some extent when it came out but repeated listens have left me with much to be desired. I get why people enjoy it though and not every ROTM is going to make everyone happy.

19 minutes ago, pepperonigin said:

I just find it to be forgettable. There are some things to like about it but ultimately I never have a desire to listen to it ever again. I did enjoy it to some extent when it came out but repeated listens have left me with much to be desired. I get why people enjoy it though and not every ROTM is going to make everyone happy.

Just to clarify; this is a weak ROTM pick because you overplayed it and burnt yourself out on it back in the day?  Just want to make sure I'm interpreting this post correctly.

15 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Just to clarify; this is a weak ROTM pick because you overplayed it and burnt yourself out on it back in the day?  Just want to make sure I'm interpreting this post correctly.

There's a difference between overplaying something during a period of time and being able to revisit it and still enjoy it. I gave it multiple chances during it's release, enjoyed it to some extent but have no desire to ever listen to it again.

There are plenty of albums I've burnt myself out on at some point but would gladly put on months or years later. This is not one of them.

On 3/20/2018 at 4:47 PM, Derek™ said:

And to the guy who mentioned being able to flip-flop between a true subscription and a Crate sub... thanks.  I’ll have to look into that.  But for now I’m aiming to keep it simple so long as my VC hookups are willing to help me out.

Should clarify on this point - they made it very clear when they eliminated the Crate subscription that those of us already on it were grandfathered in, but if we cancelled it, that was it; no going back.

Being able to avoid crap like AM makes staying on Crate even sweeter - not remastered, generic "indie"/garage rock on a color variant when there are a ton of inexpensive copies already available in stores and online... I genuinely like being a member but this one might as well be Vinyl Me Urban Outfitters.

Edited by serotonein

10 minutes ago, serotonein said:

I genuinely like being a member but this one might as well be Vinyl Me Urban Outfitters.

VINYL ME URBAN OUTFITTERS oh man I’m in stitches / have a boner.

Arctic Monkeys are the indie rock equivalent of something awful from pop. Untalented musicianship, childish lyrics, and didn’t they come from a talent show? BRITAIN’S GOT ACCENTS

Give me a Kevin Morby AOTM or give me death.