The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

20 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

See if there wasn't so much hyberbole about how great they are they'd be so much easier to stomach. I'd find it easier if normies didn't use them as a point of relation with me.

"Oh you've got long hair, I like rock music too I saw the arctic monkey's play the wembley last week"

"You like Kings Of Leon right? that one song woooooooaaaaaah this sex is on fire, bloody love that. Good ain't it"
"I'm into rock too, Oasis definitely maybe is my favourite all time album"

ad infinitum

I mean I get this with metal bands I don't like as well but boy if it doesn't ruffle my feathers every god damn time.

Picked the right time to ignore the scene in my book. Boy do I envy you.  I swear everytime I hear "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" I die a little more inside.

This is fascinating to me because while I’ve never passionately explored every nook and cranny of it, “indie” and its many variations have never been a stranger to my music library, and I still hadn’t heard a single song off AM’s debut until about a month ago.  Brianstorm was the only song of theirs I had heard from one of the Guitar Hero titles back in the day, but that’s about the extent of my AM exposure.  I guess I’d have a different stance if that record’s songs were shoved down my throat for the last decade.  Kings of Leon and Oasis are basically the indie variations of butt-rock, to me, so if AM fits into that category, I can see where the distaste comes from.

7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

This is fascinating to me because while I’ve never passionately explored every nook and cranny of it, “indie” and its many variations have never been a stranger to my music library, and I still hadn’t heard a single song off AM’s debut until about a month ago.  Brianstorm was the only song of theirs I had heard from one of the Guitar Hero titles back in the day, but that’s about the extent of my AM exposure.  I guess I’d have a different stance if that record’s songs were shoved down my throat for the last decade.  Kings of Leon and Oasis are basically the indie variations of butt-rock, to me, so if AM fits into that category, I can see where the distaste comes from.

Yeah stateside you probably got several degrees of separation. Over here they were so important our then Prime Minister pretended they were his favourite band in a magazine interview in a dismal attempt to relate to the common man.

53 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I googled this. 

All of my posts in the last day or so have been satirical. I just think a lot of the narrative or reasoning behind dismissing certain bands or genres is lazy.

Indie guitar rock from the aughts turned tiring and old fairly quick. But I think there’s a reason AM’s discography (specifically their first album through Humbug) is pretty highly respected and that they’re still going strong. The lyricism is often very clever and has finer detail paid to it than most other songwriters from that generation. And their drummer is wonderful. Pay attention to those things if you’re diving in blindly. They come off as pretentious, and some of the writing may be, but a lot of it is a schtick that formed.

Their fourth album was sort of received as too light and breezy for most, but it’s a grower and has some really great moments. I wasn’t a huge fan of their last album though. The “sexy midnight” vibe wasn’t my thing, hoping they return to Favorite Worst Nightmare/Humbug-type music. Also: their b-side collection is remarkable.

TL:DR – Artic Monkeys r the wurst

8 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Yeah stateside you probably got several degrees of separation. Over here they were so important our then Prime Minister pretended they were his favourite band in a magazine interview in a dismal attempt to relate to the common man.

I may have benefitted from being a big fan of the band while also being stateside. Saw them at their first Chicago gig when they got in trouble for drinking on stage while being underage. Venue was half-full. They didn’t seem to take off here for quite a while.

That being said, being able to tune out the noise/fads/popularity/oversaturation and approach something in a vacuum has its benefits.

14 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I hate the pair of em more than they could ever hate each other. Jumped up tosspots.

I love how much I hate them. Some of the last of a dying breed of fun hateable celebrities. Like, neither of them is a monster. They're just brats who call each other cunts publicly.

1 minute ago, lethalenforcer said:

I may have benefitted from being a big fan of the band while also being stateside. Saw them at their first Chicago gig when they got in trouble for drinking on stage while being underage. Venue was half-full. They didn’t seem to take off here for quite a while.

That being said, being able to tune out the noise/fads/popularity/oversaturation and approach something in a vacuum has its benefits.

Most definitely. Coming at it with no preconceived notions would definitely help.

1 minute ago, lethalenforcer said:

This is accurate. The world needs wrestling-style heels and they do it wonderfully. It’s just more fun that way.

Im all for them being figures of hate just someone take their record labels n fashion lines away so they can snipe at each other in a lidl carpark as they are forced to subject themselves to increasingly demeaning reality tv shows to keep financial control over their estates. We dont need another Noel Gallagher and the flying shithawks album polluting our airwaves with its beige.

I've seen a couple people in a couple threads over time complain about "I hate when when I hear 'x' song," and it always makes me wonder, why/where are you hearing songs you dislike so often? Between work and my car/home I rarely hear music that I didn't pick out, and when I'm out I'm usually either not paying attention to the music because I have other things occupying my attention, or I'm someplace I enjoy going because it caters to a crowd who enjoys similar musical tastes.

I don't think there has been a time in the last 8 years that I've just been out and heard an AM song.

Ah so there's the connection. All of us that stomach the Arctic Monkeys are stateside. I bet I could ask 100 people in my city who they were and none of them would know... and I think Kings of Leon and Oasis are terrible and not similar other than being British, but a lot more people over here would recognize those two bands. Hmmm.

8 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Ah so there's the connection. All of us that stomach the Arctic Monkeys are stateside. I bet I could ask 100 people in my city who they were and none of them would know... and I think Kings of Leon and Oasis are terrible and not similar other than being British, but a lot more people over here would recognize those two bands. Hmmm.

I heard Kings of Leon for the first time literally yesterday because my girlfriend was like "Listen to this horseshit I heard on the radio"

7 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

All of my posts in the last day or so have been satirical. I just think a lot of the narrative or reasoning behind dismissing certain bands or genres is lazy.

Indie guitar rock from the aughts turned tiring and old fairly quick. But I think there’s a reason AM’s discography (specifically their first album through Humbug) is pretty highly respected and that they’re still going strong. The lyricism is often very clever and has finer detail paid to it than most other songwriters from that generation. And their drummer is wonderful. Pay attention to those things if you’re diving in blindly. They come off as pretentious, and some of the writing may be, but a lot of it is a schtick that formed.

Their fourth album was sort of received as too light and breezy for most, but it’s a grower and has some really great moments. I wasn’t a huge fan of their last album though. The “sexy midnight” vibe wasn’t my thing, hoping they return to Favorite Worst Nightmare/Humbug-type music. Also: their b-side collection is remarkable.

TL:DR – Artic Monkeys r the wurst

Finally someone talking sense.

Although I like their last two albums too. R U Mine? is great.

1 hour ago, Skacel said:

Finally someone talking sense.

Although I like their last two albums too. R U Mine? is great.

AM has a lot of great stuff on it. DIWK, R U Mine, Fireside, No. 1 Party Anthem are awesome. And I love SIAS, it just may not be as impressive or immediate as their older stuff upon first spin (do not be fooled).

7 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I've seen a couple people in a couple threads over time complain about "I hate when when I hear 'x' song," and it always makes me wonder, why/where are you hearing songs you dislike so often? Between work and my car/home I rarely hear music that I didn't pick out, and when I'm out I'm usually either not paying attention to the music because I have other things occupying my attention, or I'm someplace I enjoy going because it caters to a crowd who enjoys similar musical tastes.

I don't think there has been a time in the last 8 years that I've just been out and heard an AM song.

Well I'll admit it is quite easy to avoid if you steer clear of indie/alternative club nights which I do now but when it comes to places like that in London you either get "metal" clubs that just play nu metal or "indie/alternative" which play all the indie from this era. My favourite spots have jukeboxes too although they are mostly stacked with classic dad rock which I can deal with just fine although again I wish someone would tell people music didn't stop coming out in 2010.

I also am the sole "music guy" in my group, most of my friends are normies who like the radio fodder and as such they think they are doing me a favour by putting on something with guitars in it. Needless to say I put em right if they do that but with 30 odd friends n their 30 odd partners it happens more than I'd like.  I've heard these guys played at Weddings  as a concession to the only long hair(me) in the room n then they all faux headbang like this stuff is breaking the rules of just how heavy you can be.

I mean I've sworn off going to anymore weddings after this year n I never go clubbing anymore so soon all of this will no longer be a problem. These days I'm happiest having people over my pad and letting them play with my records because that way I'm never disappointed.

12 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

"You like Kings Of Leon right? that one song woooooooaaaaaah this sex is on fire, bloody love that. Good ain't it"

OMG, this is hillarious. :lol:

I actually like Kings of Leon. When I heard the song “On Call,” I promptly added BOTT to my collection.

I remember then hearing “Sex On Fire” about a year later and saying to myself, “What a HORRIBLE record...”

And THAT becomes their hit? :blink:

15 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

OMG, this is hillarious. :lol:

I actually like Kings of Leon. When I heard the song “On Call,” I promptly added BOTT to my collection.

I remember then hearing “Sex On Fire” about a year later and saying to myself, “What a HORRIBLE record...”

And THAT becomes their hit? :blink:

hit making 101: put a repetitive sound like woah, uh-oh, oooooh, or yeah in your chorus to ensure drunken festival goers can still join in with alcohol impaired karaoke.

Edited by Stress On The Sky