The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

14 minutes ago, PookdaddyG said:

I'm just not digging it-- though I really only listened to it once, so maybe I should give it another shot. I enjoy some of the skits and whatever, but I'd almost rather listen to Busdriver project. 

In fairness his newer stuff is much better; this is his debut

9 hours ago, PookdaddyG said:

I'm just not digging it-- though I really only listened to it once, so maybe I should give it another shot. I enjoy some of the skits and whatever, but I'd almost rather listen to a Busdriver project. 

I agree, I skipped this release. His flow gets extremely old on this album by the midway point for me & the beat selection is also pretty weak for a decent amount of the tracks. His newer stuff is significantly better even though I am still not a huge fan of even that.

On 7/21/2018 at 6:12 PM, PookdaddyG said:

I meant to cancel mine last month, but I forgot to do it. Now I'm stuck with Unapologetic Art Rap :mellow:

I couldn't find anything to swap for it, so I having never heard it just accepted it.  I'm sure there's no chance I'll be able to recoup what it cost, but ah well.

I mostly listen to like punk/thrash/some metal/some classics is this club worth looking into?

I don't really listen to a ton of hip hop (but I do listen to music across the spectrum the above are just my typically preferred categories) if you're curious here is my collection so far: https://www.discogs.com/user/imnothardcore/collection

I don't mind exploring new music but this club doesn't seem to cater to individual styles, right? Its an everyone gets the same record if I understand correctly?

Another reason Im undecided is I did a random 5 record buy one time and it was all indie hot trash ( I just gave most of them away they were worth like $2-5ea on ebay ) so I wasn't into it. Does this club deliver more "valuable" music in any of your opinions? 

Thanks in advance for any input.

1 minute ago, imnothardcore said:

I mostly listen to like punk/thrash/some metal/some classics is this club worth looking into?

I don't really listen to a ton of hip hop (but I do listen to music across the spectrum the above are just my typically preferred categories) if you're curious here is my collection so far: https://www.discogs.com/user/imnothardcore/collection

I don't mind exploring new music but this club doesn't seem to cater to individual styles, right? Its an everyone gets the same record if I understand correctly?

Another reason Im undecided is I did a random 5 record buy one time and it was all indie hot trash ( I just gave most of them away they were worth like $2-5ea on ebay ) so I wasn't into it. Does this club deliver more "valuable" music in any of your opinions? 

IMO, it probably won't cater much to your taste.  It leans heavy indie, hip hop and jazz/blues type stuff.  In my 2 years of membership there hasn't been one punk or metal album of the month.  

21 minutes ago, imnothardcore said:

Yeah, i’d probably put your money elsewhere for what it’s worth. If you ever hear of something that you’d want, you can sign up for a month and then drop it. 

On 7/23/2018 at 7:30 PM, imnothardcore said:

Hardcore/punk/metal/etc is severely underserved, bordering on non-existent. If those are the only genres you enjoy then you're not going to get any value out of the club. I feel like the only thing I've even seen them offer along those lines as far as exclusives go is the new Deafheaven record.

That being said, I have found it very useful for discovering new music so if you're open to other stuff it might be worth checking out. Currently they have three "tracks" to choose from every month. Essentials (which is mostly indie stuff from the 2000s to now), Hip Hop and Classics (soul, jazz, stuff along those lines). Dig around on their webstore and discogs and you can see all of their releases.

5 hours ago, pepperonigin said:

Hardcore/punk/metal/etc is severely underserved, bordering on non-existent. If those are the only genres you enjoy then you're not going to get any value out of the club. I feel like the only thing I've even seen them offer along those lines as far as exclusives go is the new Deafheaven record.

Yeah besides Deafheaven, only other one I can think of was a High on Fire release. If you consider RATM metal, then there's another one.

On 7/23/2018 at 4:33 PM, YouTwo said:

IMO, it probably won't cater much to your taste.  It leans heavy indie, hip hop and jazz/blues type stuff.  In my 2 years of membership there hasn't been one punk or metal album of the month.  

Black Sabbath's Paranoid was AOTM a while back, but they've never dabbled in more modern or underground metal.

3 hours ago, PookdaddyG said:

Saw the swaptions, looks like I am not re-upping. Most of what they offer I have already picked up, and those that I haven’t are cheaper on discogs. 

I cancelled my membership as well. This month is rough, perfect time for my membership to lapse.

Okay, so it isn't just me. The options for swaps this month are awful. If I had the option of skipping this month, I would. I'm locked in through October though. I had initially planned on getting the Miles Davis/John Coltrane Live in Paris album, but it disappeared from the swap options pretty quick. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...