The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

2 minutes ago, swb said:

The theory the forums floated that they’re trying to trim liabilities and shiny things up for a big payday sale of the company sounds like a reasonable possibility, IMO.

It wouldn't be out of the question, they're a company that has grown by leaps and bounds in a few short years. Who knows how long the "vinyl revival" will last insofar as bringing in more casual collectors so I don't fault them in trying to strike it rich. However, part of it's charm is it's customer service so that would likely be lost in any sort of takeover, without even mentioning the sales machine that the forum is. Either they're looking to sell or they're going under.

7 minutes ago, DylanMcKay said:

Huh.  So you’re telling me the same folks who buy records strictly based on album art and FOMO are able to drop $3K in < 24 hours to fund a forum?  Shocking.

But also cool / good on them, I guess.  I may not admire the hivemind but I do respect that it cannot be snuffed out just because VMP becomes too big for its britches.

Just now, swb said:

Wouldn't $3,000 fund a web forum for like 10+ years? I've built websites for 15+ years but never ran a large forum. Would you need an expensive private server plan for something like that?

I am def. no expert but I know that can easily fund a very basic web forum for probably that long but to get one that actually runs great with heavy traffic and tons of pictures/gifs would probably be a bit more pricey but I still say they're good for quite awhile since the money is still rolling in lol.. That's insane though, under 24 hours and already over 3k. VMP better be selling off or releasing some epic titles soon because they just pissed off the hive and last I checked there prices were also raised on many older ROTM. It's too bad how this always happens sooner or later as a company grows, i'm sure the customer service will be going to shit soon as well which was one of the main selling points for me.

Besides the recent De La albums I just wait for the secondary market on the majority of there "less popular" releases anyways and usually end up getting them for over half off.

5 minutes ago, pepperonigin said:

Pretty cool that people love it enough to try and continue it elsewhere but I don’t really understand the need when there are already several great alternatives, including right here. 

Supposedly we're too rude and crude while the Steve Hoffman forum is too elitist so they have to Goldilocks it up and make one that's justtttt right.

59 minutes ago, hype said:

Supposedly we're too rude and crude while the Steve Hoffman forum is too elitist so they have to Goldilocks it up and make one that's justtttt right.

It probably has to do more with the musical tastes of the forum members then the members themselves. For me, VC is more punk, pop punk, emo, hardcore, indie, and other subgenres of rock. The SH forums are a good resource, but most topics relate to older artists, class rock, jazz, blues, etc.

VMP was sort of the middle ground. Conversations about a little of each genre.  Granted, I do visit all three forums to find information. This whole vinyl forum "clique" attitude is a bit ridiculous. 

I also much preferred the VMP forum's user interface. It was so simple to upload photos, which served to enhance a lot of conversations and threads. Whereas, VC requires you to use a third party website (e.g., Photobucket)  then hyperlink to that within the forum to get a photo up. Not sure if that has since changed, but it was/is annoying and outdated

9 minutes ago, zdkaiser said:

It probably has to do more with the musical tastes of the forum members then the members themselves. For me, VC is more punk, pop punk, emo, hardcore, indie, and other subgenres of rock. The SH forums are a good resource, but most topics relate to older artists, class rock, jazz, blues, etc.

VMP was sort of the middle ground. Conversations about a little of each genre.  Granted, I do visit all three forums to find information. This whole vinyl forum "clique" attitude is a bit ridiculous. 

I also much preferred the VMP forum's user interface. It was so simple to upload photos, which served to enhance a lot of conversations and threads. Whereas, VC requires you to use a third party website (e.g., Photobucket)  then hyperlink to that within the forum to get a photo up. Not sure if that has since changed, but it was/is annoying and outdated

I just read actual members saying similar things. Personally, I could care less which forums stay and go but all three have been valuable resources that have helped me out at different times over the years. The VMP forums are def. way more user friendly and diverse though which allows me to find a few more things I wouldn't see on here or especially the Hoffman forums. Not gonna lie though the comparisons were pretty spot on I thought, clique attitude or not.