The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

49 minutes ago, museummouth said:

I love Sparklehorse and have half of them already so I’m not interested in the box but damn that has to be one of the most overpriced sets I’ve seen in a while. Shouldn’t be over $130. 

I fuckin love me a box set, and never picked any of these up, when I could. But yeah, $150 tops. 

5 hours ago, hype said:

He mostly has vmp releases that aren't even that hard to get anyways. 

People need to realize that every hobby ever pretty much has had flippers

Vinceron said a couple days ago that he's sitting on 10,000 pieces of merchandise right now, and out of the 1,200+ ebay vinyl listings he has up, several of them show hundreds of sold copies each. That's a major operation. You really think he's using bots and address hacks to obtain a literal warehouse full of goods? 

In the past, he's admitted to having a deal with Urban Outfitters - where a substantial amount of his limited releases come from - and he leaked details of an exclusive UO release before it was announced to the public. That, coupled with the numbers, strikes me as a distribution deal.

The issue isn't that he's flipping - we all do so from time to time - it's that VMP is selling out of products quickly, while Vinceron seems to already have the products in-hand & overpriced. It just doesn't add up. 

He just has an LLC and is buying wholesale from a few different stores. But then he’s selling things closer to how a DIY flipper would, and since he has so many copies (that he purchases for cheaper pricing) he just needs to undercut the lowest flipper price to have full control of that item’s market.

29 minutes ago, streetwaves said:

If you think the price of that Sparklehorse box is outrageous, wait until you see their subscription increase.

HOLY shit.  I signed up last month for $60 for 3 months.  Not a bad deal.  I go to find they're going to autocharge me $119.99 next month for the next 3-months?  That's absolutely insane.  Double the price?! Zero notice of price increase whatsoever and there's no communication of any reasoning as to why?  Essentially $43/month for a record you may not like.  There's no way they don't lose 50%+ of their subscribers by the end of the year.  What a ridiculous move.  Absolutely awful.  I really enjoyed the one month I've received thus far, but...................... cancelling immediately.  Ugh.

Edited by beta114

4 minutes ago, beta114 said:

HOLY shit.  I signed up last month for $60 for 3 months.  Not a bad deal.  I go to find they're going to autocharge me $199.99 next month for the next 3-months?  That's absolutely insane.  Double the price?! Zero notice of price increase whatsoever and there's no communication of any reasoning as to why?  Essentially $43/month for a record you may not like.  There's no way they don't lose 50%+ of their subscribers by the end of the year.  What a ridiculous move.  Absolutely awful.  I really enjoyed the one month I've received thus far, but...................... cancelling immediately.  Ugh.

I was gonna renew after Continuum but definitely not now 😆

1 minute ago, jhulud said:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. 

Has anyone starting blasting them on social media about the price jacking?

I have no doubt.  But someone on Reddit tried an old fashioned e-mail inquiry and got this as a response.  Rich.

Thanks for the note... For the first time in over three years, the cost of a renewing VMP subscription will increase beginning with September Records of the Month. Why is this the case? So we can keep up with the rising costs associated with the high quality of our records. We're also excited to launch discounted member pricing on all future store products as a new member perk.

Best-in-class vinyl and musical exploration is what we’re all about -- every detail matters. From remastering albums from the original tapes using top mastering engineers, to using the best print & vinyl manufacturers, to ensuring creators are compensated fairly for their work.

This will go into effect on your next renewal. An email with more details will be sent prior to then. Don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything at all we can help with moving forward.

That response from VMP is as canned as you get while at the same time feeling like they're full of shit. 

"So we can keep up with the rising costs associated with the high quality of our records. " - What?!?! If that were the case...everyone else would be jacking up their prices as well...esp. any and all indie labels. 

"We're also excited to launch discounted member pricing on all future store products as a new member perk." - Huh?...So if you pay the $199.99, they will allow you to get discounts on previous records that were probably not selling anyways? LOL

"Best-in-class vinyl and musical exploration is what we’re all about " - That's debatable. It is infuriating to see when they release records that you can get in dollar bins for jacked up prices given that their target audience are unwilling to do any research. 

Why not just come out with an honest response: "Look...times are getting tougher for everyone...so we're going to jack up our prices by 300% cuz we know that people will still buy any and all records we put out cuz we're VMP." 

...or something like that.