The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

5 hours ago, Sh100by said:

Weight doesn't affect sound. 180g records warp just as easily and are harder to flatten out.

I didn't say anything about the 180g affecting sound.  And they don't come warped if they're pressed somewhere creditable with higher QC standards like RTI or Pallas and not GZ or Pirates Press.  If MOFI and Analogue Productions can yield 180g 2LP/$50 and 1LP/$35 albums with gloss gatefold tip-on jackets AND cut by KW/KG, then $40 at VMP should be getting us a lot more than what they expect people to settle for.

17 minutes ago, nate_8907 said:

I didn't say anything about the 180g affecting sound.  And they don't come warped if they're pressed somewhere creditable with higher QC standards like RTI or Pallas and not GZ or Pirates Press.  If MOFI and Analogue Productions can yield 180g 2LP/$50 and 1LP/$35 albums with gloss gatefold tip-on jackets AND cut by KW/KG, then $40 at VMP should be getting us a lot more than what they expect people to settle for.

Except their entire business model is offering more or less the same thing you can get at several other places for less money and selling it at a higher margin just because they can.

I think his point was that there is no real advantage to 180g other than them being thick and more difficult to warp and that it’s a gimmick to charge more because it doesn’t affect the sound in any way. 

that being said, I enjoy and prefer 180g records. 

Edited by timsimmons

3 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

Anyway, the price increase sucks but we’re all dopes and will still be buying shit (maybe less often - but we’ll still sign up for shit we want) so we should let it go. 

I mean, I'll be signing up for Spiritualized because the other available pressings aren't great.  I won't be happy about it though.

3 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I’d say “audiophile” is used incredibly loosely, which is unfortunate because there are releases that deserve being highlight as such because the utmost care in putting out a product in pursuit of the best sound is a real thing. 

It's gotten out of hand, see every scorpio release. Quiet vinyl does not make an audiophile pressing, hell a well mastered record does not make an audiophile pressing. Living Stereo shaded dogs/mercury living presence classical records are audiophile, Belafonte "At Carnegie Hall" is audiophile, those boring ass direct to disc sheffield lab records are audiophile. I'd say Cowboy Junkies "Trinity Sessions" is audiophile, but a record needs to be well recorded and then well mastered to be considered an audiophile record. Some of the stuff MOFI/AP release aren't even truly audiophile because they weren't well recorded to begin with, as I stated earlier it's a real small cross section of well recorded and enjoyable music. I like all sorts of music that isn't well recorded but just because it sounds better than it has ever sounded doesn't make it audiophile if it was recorded in a less than ideal room without using top notch recording technology and proper mic placement (hell some people debate music recorded with more than one mic discredits it from being audiophile in certain parts of the internet) 

Edited by NapalmBrain

3 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Who is this we you speak of?

I heard Tim muhfucken Simmons is the music curator for all Scientology and believe me when I say they love, love, LOVE VMP. Tom Cruise especially was absolutely !!irate!! at this catastrophic blind siding price hike and was hopeful it was just his dyslexia flaring up but nope, this nightmare was a reality. I have no doubt we will see him doing a few extra movies in the coming years to help feed this filthy addiction. God (Xenu) only knows what the other members of Scientology will be doing to keep club status during these bleak Covid times....

*maybe, maybe not

8 hours ago, hype said:

I heard Tim muhfucken Simmons is the music curator for all Scientology and believe me when I say they love, love, LOVE VMP. Tom Cruise especially was absolutely !!irate!! at this catastrophic blind siding price hike and was hopeful it was just his dyslexia flaring up but nope, this nightmare was a reality. I have no doubt we will see him doing a few extra movies in the coming years to help feed this filthy addiction. God (Xenu) only knows what the other members of Scientology will be doing to keep club status during these bleak Covid times....

*maybe, maybe not

Were you watching South Park last night during your Sunday coke binge?