The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

2 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

I get that part.  I just can't imagine not buying, or returning an album, because it's a double album isn't a gatefold.  I do agree that non gatefold double albums do kind of suck because it causes more wear and tear on the jacket.  

Same here. I also can't imagine paying $30 for a record that is easily available for $15 and that I didn't necessarily choose. This goes beyond our imaginations. :P

1 minute ago, lethalenforcer said:

"I've never heard of this band but the cover art for that looks SWEET and I don't want FOMO - insta-buy!!!!"

and

"I tried to listen but think it's just OK. Can anyone convince me to like this music because the vinyl's aesthetics look so good I need it on my shelves". 

Good lord.  Apologies to the inevitable VMP vet who reads this thread and shares it over there for a chuckle, but that’s asinine.  Exceeds “whatever, do what you want” and dips into a strange Cringe Bermuda Triangle of hoarding, hivemind, and collection flexing.

1 minute ago, Derek said:

Good lord.  Apologies to the inevitable VMP vet who reads this thread and shares it over there for a chuckle, but that’s asinine.  Exceeds “whatever, do what you want” and dips into a strange Cringe Bermuda Triangle of hoarding, hivemind, and collection flexing.

I post there more than I do here, so I am definitely a part of the VMP forums but I don't wade into the member specific stuff much. Outside of certain threads which encourage certain behaviors, it's a pretty enjoyable place to discuss movies, music, vinyl, sports, etc. They go hard after the staff and company but, overall, they're pretty nice to each other. People don't get in flame wars with each other and very few people do the hardcore tough guy stuff. The extreme stuff, which is pretty accurately reflected in the post you're quoting, is more sweet, innocent, silly passion stuff than hate-speech-ish, aggressive, toxicity stuff, the latter of which is more cringe-worthy to me personally. :)

22 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

The VMP forums are a strange corner of the internet. As swb mentioned a post above me, they always pitch very specific details about the packaging, materials, design, etc - which is fine and dandy but also sets them up for backlash when their detail-obsessive customer base is shortchanged in any way.

More alarming for me was when I ventured into the Member Store thread the other day. Stuff along the lines of:

"I've never heard of this band but the cover art for that looks SWEET and I don't want FOMO - insta-buy!!!!"

and

"I tried to listen but think it's just OK. Can anyone convince me to like this music because the vinyl's aesthetics look so good I need it on my shelves". 

17 minutes ago, Derek said:

This right here is exactly why I’ve tried like three times to be active on the VMP forums and I just can’t do it. It’s so incredibly alien to me to have that/those mindset(s).

Feels like I’m the only one there without $100,000 of excess spending money at any given point in time. Its pretty goddamn ridiculous that people will buy shit for no reason other than “it’s there and it looks cool” but  the same people don’t want to buy something because it isn’t a fucking gatefold.

40 minutes ago, swb said:

The extreme stuff, which is pretty accurately reflected in the post you're quoting, is more sweet, innocent, silly passion stuff than hate-speech-ish, aggressive, toxicity stuff, the latter of which is more cringe-worthy to me personally. :)

Yeah it all seems fairly pleasant over there - I've never had a negative experience and everyone's nice. Just some really, really peculiar driving factors as to why purchases are made. Happens here too but it's mostly band-based (or genre sometimes).

Over there it seems like some people will force themselves to like something just because it's getting the VMP treatment.

As a social experiment VMP should reissue Kidz Bop Vol. 1 on starburst vinyl with a tip-on glittered gatefold and watch what ensues.

Edited by lethalenforcer

27 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

Yeah it all seems fairly pleasant over there - I've never had a negative experience and everyone's nice. Just some really, really peculiar driving factors as to why purchases are made. Happens here too but it's mostly band-based (or genre sometimes).

Over there it seems like some people will force themselves to like something just because it's getting the VMP treatment.

As a social experiment VMP should reissue Kidz Bop Vol. 1 on starburst vinyl with a top-on glittered gatefold and watch what ensues.

I usually listen to the albums that gets pressed as exclusives.  I've discovered a lot of good stuff that way.  In the few instances I may have bought something because VMP was doing it and might not have bought it otherwise, I have ended up selling or trading it.  

15 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

I usually listen to the albums that gets pressed as exclusives.  I've discovered a lot of good stuff that way.  In the few instances I may have bought something because VMP was doing it and might not have bought it otherwise, I have ended up selling or trading it.  

Same here but that’s different to listening to something, not really liking it and buying it anyway because FOMO.

1 hour ago, swb said:

That's on VMP. A big part of their sales pitch is hyping up details like that and setting the expectation. If a significant part of your marketing focuses on tip-on jackets and gatefold artwork and liner notes and the lifestyle experience, your customers are going to perceive that as a significant part of the value. Meanwhile, when you and I buy records from listings that are just a digital proof of the LP cover and no other details other than vinyl color or weight, we're happy with whatever comes as long as it is in new condition, plays, and sounds good. The healthy vinyl lifestyle, IMO.

Indeed.  This record has never been released as a gatefold, so it's a significant selling point.  The extra artwork, etc.  It's a significant miss for sure.  Lots of people wouldn't have bought it otherwise. 

I got mine today and the record is so damn pretty tho.  Haven't spun it yet.  But yeah, gatefold would be nice. 

I don't give a shit how nice they are. All that "detail oriented" thinking is just a front for being new to vinyl and not knowing anything. I'd be surprised if more than 10% of that community has been collecting records for more than a few years. As someone who is actually detail oriented and well informed that hive mind of ignorance over there looks like it requires more patience than what I'm capable of lol

16 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I don't give a shit how nice they are. All that "detail oriented" thinking is just a front for being new to vinyl and not knowing anything. I'd be surprised if more than 10% of that community has been collecting records for more than a few years. As someone who is actually detail oriented and well informed that hive mind of ignorance over there looks like it requires more patience than what I'm capable of lol

I hear ya.  I'm sure I'll be old and stubborn one day.  But for now, i'll keep enjoying the records that VMP puts out.   

19 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I don't give a shit how nice they are.

Lol. There are definitely different posting styles between VMP and VC. Both have their upsides and downsides and I think it depends what downsides you prefer to tolerate.  I'm too soft to rage into threads and come at people (or have people come at me) so I definitely spend more time tolerating the downsides of VMP. :P

1 minute ago, swb said:

Lol. There are definitely different posting styles between VMP and VC. Both have their upsides and downsides and I think it depends what downsides you prefer to tolerate.  I'm too soft to rage into threads and come at people (or have people come at me) so I definitely spend more time tolerating the downsides of VMP. :P

Hey man 180 gram is 180 gram.

First thing I thought when I seen so many people complaining is they knew they would either get a good discount or a free album so now that VMP is not letting them keep it on top of a refund they are even more pissed and "outraged". I mean it is a fucking copy of a 90's hip hop album that still looks and sounds great supposedly which is pretty readily available in standard black for $10-15. I could see a bit of a disappointment over it not being a gate fold because I hate that as well with 2 records but it is really not that serious at all. 

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

Hey man 180 gram is 180 gram.

The other day I weighed my collection and sure enough I have a record that is only 167 grams while my friend has a copy of the same record that is the full 180 grams and I hear details in his copy that just are not present in mine  : //  #fuckingIRATE #mylifeisover