The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

"How much?" Is what my wife asked the employee at the local shop when we saw the original Demon Days up on the wall. Haha 

Yeah, we bought it. 

I'm going to wait and see if it even is DD, then if it is, I'll just grab one later if I feel the need. I'm sure there's a black press coming too if it is indeed getting pressed.

I definitely think a black press is coming given the Demon Days festival, etc. (probably new music too).

Been a member for two years running; really interested to see what this, and the introduction of sub-genre subscriptions will do to the overall quality of the club. With that said, I haven't gotten my Tennis package yet, but The Books through Main Source may have been their best 4 month stretch ever in terms of music and quality of packaging / pressings for VMP. If that is an indicator of things to come, I'm pumped. 

Well, I took the plunge. The fact they're adding in unlimited swaps gives me a bit of insurance from "crap I'd never listen to on my own" syndrome if there's something I feel like I'll legitimately just never play more than once. The subgenre memberships do seem cool. Really looks like they'll be digging deep into some back catalogues for those groups instead of the usual "must own" titles.

But if next month's record isn't DD...I might have to take the wife on an "I'm sorry" shopping spree and that won't be very fun.

On 3/11/2017 at 4:35 PM, museummouth said:

Can we all agree on that "vinyl me please" is the dumbest fuckin name ever though.

When my friend first mentioned VMP, I thought it was that one business that presses your ashes into a record. But yes, stupid fucking name.

On 3/11/2017 at 3:23 AM, freedumb said:

VMP... raising prices to deter flippers? Also just so happens to be a good excuse to price gouge. Weak shit, was never a fan of them anyways.  VMP: Vagina My Pussy.

Am I the only one that thinks their new subscription model is counterintuitive to actually preventing flippers? They are also introducing unlimited swaps. So now, if there are people who flip VMP releases, they can sign up for the annual plan, get the lowest price possible, and now have the ability to continually swap out a record and wait for the releases that will have a high demand (for example, a record that is considered a white whale to a lot of collectors, like say, Demon Days).

On 3/11/2017 at 5:39 AM, YouTwo said:

Have you seen the prices the albums go for on Discogs?  No one is making much money.  And now exclusives are one per customer.  They are trying to encourage 3 month memberships with this move.

One of their staff members posted on their forum's April thread that the move was partially due to prevent flippers, and I want to say they specifically referenced to their next couple of releases and how big/in-demand they'll be.  Funny thing is, I think you and @freedumb are pretty much saying the same thing ; this isn't so much about flippers, even though there probably are some, and more so about increasing sales and revenue.

4 hours ago, DanielJ said:

When my friend first mentioned VMP, I thought it was that one business that presses your ashes into a record. But yes, stupid fucking name.

Am I the only one that thinks their new subscription model is counterintuitive to actually preventing flippers? They are also introducing unlimited swaps. So now, if there are people who flip VMP releases, they can sign up for the annual plan, get the lowest price possible, and now have the ability to continually swap out a record and wait for the releases that will have a high demand (for example, a record that is considered a white whale to a lot of collectors, like say, Demon Days).

One of their staff members posted on their forum's April thread that the move was partially due to prevent flippers, and I want to say they specifically referenced to their next couple of releases and how big/in-demand they'll be.  Funny thing is, I think you and @freedumb are pretty much saying the same thing ; this isn't so much about flippers, even though there probably are some, and more so about increasing sales and revenue.

what AOTM is even worth flipping?

they offer up so many in preorder that the market is instantly flooded when they release anyways. I can't imagine this will change with an increase in members, regardless of title.

i think you are confusing the issue with their standalone web shop that had different exclusives which were limited anywhere from 300-1500 copies. 

What I believe they are trying to do is curb away the one-and-done subscribers. Not so much the flippers. While I think part of the goal is to increase rev and sales, the other part is to decrease expenses and costs. $27 is not cheap but cheap enough that waves of people would ride in for an album here and there. Guessing pressing numbers becomes difficult if 20% of your membership chooses what albums they want, and cancels the other months. Thus leaving VMP with thousands of overstock. 

If you look at some of the more recent albums, they appear to have done better at guessing pressing counts (most are ~500 in stock). So ya, I think it's just trying to align to a better business model where records have to be pressed months in advance and membership count is hard to accurately predict. 

1 minute ago, ethereal said:

what AOTM is even worth flipping?

Very few, including some of the early ROTM that we exclusive to VMP and maybe The Fugees as it no longer appears in the store? 

That being said, it's the store exclusives that get more of the flipper love. 

Frankly, if there are any exclusives current members have been holding out for, they should grab them when this months store opens because after the April ROTM announcement, a lot of new people will have access and I expect a lot of the exclusives to be eaten up. 

4 hours ago, DanielJ said:

this isn't so much about flippers, even though there probably are some, and more so about increasing sales and revenue.

It's a business, of COURSE it's about increasing sales and revenue.  They only care about flippers to the extent that their non-flipper customers complain about it.  Otherwise why would they give a shit?  People who buy up all their stock immediately?  What a nightmare!

12 minutes ago, billya said:

It was 1 per person, unfortunately. 

8 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

FTFY. Sorry, najerarick88!

Ahh, it's all good. Thanks for the info guys - much appreciated. In that case, if anyone decides they no longer want their copy, then i'll take it - haha. 

1 minute ago, morwells said:

Well id be happy to post my referral code out in the open so people didnt have to keep asking. And then the others wouldn't try to jump on my offer to get theirs in but again if anyone needs that referral code you dont have to ask out in the open. Just PM me and ill be happy to send

I'm sure you would along with hundreds of others but that is the exact problem they are talking about. If one or two people do it then a bunch of others want to do it as well since everyone enjoys free money. Do not pretend like you are offering some great service to the board, you simply want the credits.

Just keep it simple, nobody posts a referral link and let people request and whoever helps that person through pms or whatever gets the credit.

This is how I have helped several people and offered any advice or questions they had which also helps clean the thread a bit as well. Any other way and this thread will be a nightmare to follow.