The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

22 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

I've noticed the same thing with Mondo (specifically curated) releases. Thousands of copies of the same (or slightly different) thing may be available in other places, but if it's something in one of those stores people buy it likes it's on fire.

I'm sure price+shipping+credits has a lot to do with it for VMP for example, but the /750 FJM album sold out in minutes while the /1000 UO version will be available for ages. Same thing happened with the Stranger Things OST.

I'm sure customer service plays a role to.  VMP has a history of having excellent customer service that always makes things right.  UO has questionable shipping practices.  I've never head to deal with their customer service so I can't comment.  

10 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

I'm sure customer service plays a role to.  VMP has a history of having excellent customer service that always makes things right.  UO has questionable shipping practices.  I've never head to deal with their customer service so I can't comment.  

This, too. I usually give my money to BM for the same reason.

4 hours ago, YouTwo said:

I got to say they have some of the best customer service I ever dealt with.. Like when I re-upped this last time to get the $25 credit I did not want the Tennis record much so I hit them up and they barely missed the swap deadline so he just added my swap choice on top of getting the Tennis record as well now. There was another small problem last year they helped me out on as well.

The hive mentality observation from the last page is spot on though with there community.. I see tons of people talking about blind buying several albums just because other members suggested it. A bit crazy to me but if they are cool with throwing money at unknowns month after month then I say go for it. All I see coming from that is a bunch of high priced albums sitting on a shelf after awhile you will never listen to again with the few you actually wanted sprinkled in.

Edited by hype

1 minute ago, hype said:

I got to say they have some of the best customer service I ever dealt with.. Like when I re-upped this last time to get the $25 credit I did not want the Tennis record much so I hit them up and they barely missed the swap deadline so he just added my swap choice on top of getting the Tennis record as well now. There was another small problem last year they helped me out on as well.

The hive mentality observation from the last page is spot on though with there community.. I see tons of people talking about blind buying several albums just because other members suggested it. A bit crazy to me but if they are cool with throwing money at unknowns month after month then I say go for it. All I see coming from that is a bunch of high priced albums on a shelf after awhile you will never listen to again with the few you actually wanted sprinkled in.

I've listened on Spotify and purchased a few albums from people mentioning them over there.  I guess you either just have to trust their taste or don't.  

1 minute ago, YouTwo said:

I've listened on Spotify and purchased a few albums from people mentioning them over there.  I guess you either just have to trust their taste or don't.  

Well, if you sampled it first and liked it then you at least somewhat knew what you were getting already and everyone that buys records does that for the most part. I was more talking about the members that do complete blind buys without sampling or anything first. Like I said though if they are cool with it then it does not matter. VMP is the only subscription service outside of Third Man that I have even thought about joining so overall I think it is a solid service that is only getting better as they grow.

11 minutes ago, hype said:

Well, if you sampled it first and liked it then you at least somewhat knew what you were getting already and everyone that buys records does that for the most part. I was more talking about the members that do complete blind buys without sampling or anything first. Like I said though if they are cool with it then it does not matter. VMP is the only subscription service outside of Third Man that I have even thought about joining so overall I think it is a solid service that is only getting better as they grow.

Yeah,  I guess that's a different story.  

Let me just say that the VMP boards are kinda scary. I thought VC had a cult-like mentality in some ways, but it's nothing compared to VMP; y'all were right. Everyone has a seemingly infinite supply of money and a TIDAL subscription to match, buying every record that they think isn't bad and probably spinning it once. 

I like it way better over here, score one for VC. 

VMP and VC forums are very similar, I think. Main difference is that VMP mods/members will immediately run out new posters who want to troll, trash on a band/record, or act hardcore. On VC, you can be hardcore and get in flame wars and you'll just be ignored eventually. No one will tell you to leave.

Most of the venom at VMP is reserved for 1) the company itself when they institute new policies or make mistakes and 2) posters who are rude or criticize other posters. If you're chill and not looking to spar with strangers online, it's a pretty  nice forum. I actually like that the temptation to be snarky and indulge your worst impulses is not rewarded or encouraged. I know it's helped me avoid making overly negative posts and be more thoughtful with my criticisms of bands/records.

4 hours ago, DOMAN127 said:

Let me just say that the VMP boards are kinda scary. I thought VC had a cult-like mentality in some ways, but it's nothing compared to VMP; y'all were right. Everyone has a seemingly infinite supply of money and a TIDAL subscription to match, buying every record that they think isn't bad and probably spinning it once. 

The only reason I have Tidal is because someone leaked a 6-month free coupon on FB. Otherwise I wouldn't bother paying for it.

i also feel I've been plenty snarky over there. I think you just need the right kind of sarcasm to not get flagged and you'll be fine.

but each group serves its own benefit

Edited by neo_styles

5 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

What does a Tidal subscription cost per month?  I pay $10 for Spotify and it's a no brainer.   It's an invaluable part of my commute.

Same pricing as Spotify if you do the 320kbps subscription. "Hi-Fi" is 20/mo and that's at 16/44. The fact that they do higher-fidelity "masters" that can only be accessed via a web browser on your PC/Mac is kinda cool, but I'll be sticking with Spotify when my free trial is over. I just couldn't pass on 6 months free.

I think Spotify is working on launching a similar CD-quality option to Tidal soon as well as more original material. I couldn't give two shits about Tidal's video content, but I love Spotify's curated playlist. If you have any more questions about my comparisons to both, fire away. I'll hunt down what I can

I got the free 6 months as well for Tidal and it has surpassed my expectations by quite a bit. It is easily my go to player now when looking anything new up or just listening to things outside of my own collection. I probably wont pay for it when my trial runs out but if I did pay for any it would be Tidal and I have been a premium member of all the major services. It is easily worth the $5/month though if you are a Third Man vault member.

VMP put a pre-order up for their exclusive pressing of The National - Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers early this morning. It's a rainbow splatter limited to 2000 and it ships in May:

gms06rL.png

https://app.vinylmeplease.com/products/rock/the-national-sad-songs-for-dirty-lovers-rainbow-splatter-vinyl-ltd-to-2-000

Edited by Bro Use for a Name

19 hours ago, DOMAN127 said:

I haven't been on there, but it sounds like a lot of the poster/print collectors. Splurging money on every 'Mondo Print' that gets released which largely sit in flat files or put straight on eBay. Many print buyers are moving over to records from what I can tell, so makes sense.

16 hours ago, neo_styles said:

The only reason I have Tidal is because someone leaked a 6-month free coupon on FB. Otherwise I wouldn't bother paying for it.

i also feel I've been plenty snarky over there. I think you just need the right kind of sarcasm to not get flagged and you'll be fine.

but each group serves its own benefit

That wasn't a jab at you at all, I just get a weird sense of being in a "perfect community" kind of cult environment, to the point that curse words are autocorrected when you post them. Everyone seems perfectly in sync and it weirds me out haha...guess I've developed Stockholm Syndrome for the flipping debates and stuff over here.

Two questions, if the board will indulge a newcomer to VMP. 

Does the crate option no longer exist? Tried the link someone posted on page 1 and then drifted around the site to no avail. 

Secondly, if I join with the monthly option, doesn't that entitle me to one free "record of the month?" And do I know in advance what the record of the month is? Is it the National record mentioned a few posts earlier? 

Edited by copelandkid

10 minutes ago, copelandkid said:

Does the crate option no longer exist? Tried the link someone posted on page 1 and then drifted around the site to no avail. 

Secondly, if I join with the monthly option, doesn't that entitle me to one free "record of the month?" And do I know in advance what the record of the month is? Is it the National record mentioned a few posts earlier? 

I don't think crate is available to new members anymore. 

The National record is not the 'record of the month', it is an additional exclusive in the VMP store.

If you sign up now you will get April's record of the month (rumoured to be Gorillaz - Demon Days) which should be announced next week and you will be able to shop the VMP store for the exclusives and curated titles.

9 minutes ago, copelandkid said:

Secondly, if I join with the monthly option, do I know in advance what the record of the month is? Is it the National record mentioned a few posts earlier? 

I believe they removed the option for the crate membership, but those who had are grandfathered in until they cancel.

You found out the next monthly record towards the end of the previous month, for example the March record of the month was announced on Feb 21. They give you options to swap with another title in the store if you don't want it. So April is not The National, it is assumed to be Gorillaz - Demon Days, but we will most likely find out this week.

16 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

That wasn't a jab at you at all, I just get a weird sense of being in a "perfect community" kind of cult environment, to the point that curse words are autocorrected when you post them. Everyone seems perfectly in sync and it weirds me out haha...guess I've developed Stockholm Syndrome for the flipping debates and stuff over here.

I get that feeling too. I'm not sure if they are just really in to music over there.