The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

6 minutes ago, ejc625 said:

let's not forget all the copies people own that do not use discogs.

That and the majority of the people have not even received it yet.. Mine is not supposed to be here until Friday. By the time I re-sleeve and clean it to put mine on discogs it will probably be 2-3 weeks from now. That number is going to grow rapidly by the end of April.

My point is, I don't think 25,000 were sold yet. That is a HUGE number as far as vinyl sales goes, in that short of a time period.

I'm surprised to see 450+ people already with it in their lists on Discogs. It usually takes a good month or so before you really see those numbers rise. 

1 hour ago, vinyl addict said:

My point is, I don't think 25,000 were sold yet. That is a HUGE number as far as vinyl sales goes, in that short of a time period.

I'm surprised to see 450+ people already with it in their lists on Discogs. It usually takes a good month or so before you really see those numbers rise. 

My thoughts exactly, I was very surprised there were than many people tracking it. but than again is was very hyped up.
As far as pressing numbers I doubt we'll get a firm number ever but didn't they go and say they had 20k+ subs awhile ago in some interview?

12 hours ago, ethereal said:

I have considered that obviously but to say 24.5k out of 25k owners don't use discogs is laughable. especially gorillaz fans 

Why do you think Gorillaz fans are more likely to use Discogs? 

I dont think it's unreasonable to think only 5-10% of vinyl buyers track their collections using discogs.  24,000 people not using discogs to track their collections is a pretty reasonable estimate. 

Edited by timsimmons

apparently my statement was blown way out of proportion...

OBVIOUSLY there is a huge chunk of people who don't use discogs but to say 90% of the total amount of what you guys are claiming is the pressing amount (25-40k) "don't use it" then that number is extremely disproportionate with either extremes of the spectrum.

discogs is not a completely accurate resource as far as accountability but it definitely gives you a solid idea of how many are actually out there.

Edited by ethereal

29 minutes ago, Number11 said:

Just got an email saying my monthly membership is coming to an end. Should I just ignore this since im guessing it's gonna automatically renew?

Or am I gonna have to subscribe to the 3 month plan?

Got the same thing. I sent them an email asking for clarification. I think they are trying to dupe us into committing to a 3 month plan since ours says it is going to renew automatically.

14 minutes ago, ethereal said:

apparently my statement was blown way out of proportion...

OBVIOUSLY there is a huge chunk of people who don't use discogs but to say 90% of the total amount of what you guys are claiming is the pressing amount (25-40k) "don't use it" then that number is extremely disproportionate with either extremes of the spectrum.

discogs is not a completely accurate resource as far as accountability but it definitely gives you a solid idea of how many are actually out there.

Maybe don't judge the ownership number by the people who list as owning it in discogs before they even ship out!

It would be a tad different if this was 6 months down the line and only a few hundred still said they had it.

But why doubt the label when they say that many were pressed?

1 hour ago, ThunderPantz said:

Got the same thing. I sent them an email asking for clarification. I think they are trying to dupe us into committing to a 3 month plan since ours says it is going to renew automatically.

Got this as well. But more importantly, will they still honor my order of The National LP that's not shipping out till May if i cancel the auto renewal before then? I assume they'll have to...

11 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

Got Demon Days today, cleaned, and am currently on side B. It sounds excellent, my only complaint isn't really about the record itself, it's just that the innersleeves don't fit all the way in the jacket pockets. It's a pet peeve of mine, but I'll live.

Tennis was like that for me when I first got it but it seems to have loosened up a bit.

I'm older than the average fanbase and really only came around to this particular album recently, having known VMP was releasing it (I was the right age for the first album, though). This is a much better album, no question, and might be their best (even considering all those good new singles).

At the time I probably 1. Found it too glum, as living through the Bush Iraq years was bad enough; didn't need a soundtrack for it... and 2. It was holding up the sequel to Think Tank in my mind, which had by then grown on me (it's got some of the best Blur songs even though it really doesn't work as an album). I was also waaaaay into experimental, free-folk psych-game stuff like Charalambides and Sunburned Hand of Man so I wasn't really feeling pop sounds either.