Alkaline Trio March Madness bracket

12832329_10101892553459867_7110813862947

over the past couple months, i have done an insane thing. i've ranked every single Alkaline Trio song from best to worst. my list is my own, and i'm sure people are going to have their own opinions. with that in mind, i created a March Madness style bracket, and i created a Twitter account for the sole purpose of allowing everybody to vote on which songs advance.

the full bracket can be found at www.tinyurl.com/alkalinetrio666 if you want to see it in full, broken down region by region. make sure you follow the twitter account, which is www.twitter.com/alkalinetrio666 and will have the voting for each game.

only songs originally written by Alkaline Trio were included in the bracket, so that means some pretty great trio recordings (such as Halloween, Rooftops, and Wake Up Exhausted, among many others) were left off.

since there were 131 original Alkaline Trio songs, i had to have 3 "play-in games" to whittle things down to an even 128 and have a balanced bracket. those first three play-in games are what we're voting on for the next 24 hours.

use the hashtag ‪#‎alkalinetriobracket‬ and please share this everywhere and with everyone you think will enjoy it. i'm very curious to see everybody's opinions, and how close i came to ranking things the way everybody else would have.

We can never break up is there twice.

no idea how this happened. nice catch, though. hopefully one of them gets knocked out early enough that it doesn't turn into a real problem...

the play-in games are over. Piss And Vinegar, Midnight Blue, and Enjoy Your Day all advanced. the rest are out.

all of the first round matchups from the Red Region and the Orange Region have been posted to twitter for you to vote on. these matchups will be available to be voted on for 48 hours.

3/19: all first round matchups from the Black Region and the Yellow Region will be posted, with voting open for 48 hours.

3/21: all second round matchups from Red and Orange.

3/23: all second round matchups from Black and Yellow.

3/25: all third round matchups from Red and Orange.

3/27: all third round matchups from Black and Yellow.

3/29: all Sweet 16 matchups

3/31: all Elite 8 matchups

4/2: the Final 4

4/4: Championship

thanks for all the positive feedback here, on facebook, on instagram, and of course on twitter. each matchup from the play-in round had more than 40 votes. i'd like to get each matchup from the first round to be at least 50 each, and hopefully grow to be more and more as the tournament rolls on. feel free to retweet, like and share as much as you can!

don't have twitter, can I vote here?

unfortunately, no. twitter was the one social media platform that would allow me to create polls like this that are totally open to the public without me having to fuck with my privacy settings or anything else, so i went with twitter. i'm not a huge fan of twitter, and have only really started using it lately for the label, but this seemed the best way to handle it.

if you do want to vote (which i would love), it's super simple to set up a twitter account. even if you just want to make one to vote for the next couple weeks, and then never touch it again. just use a throwaway e-mail address and you won't be bombarded with a bunch of useless bullshit on an e-mail address you care about.

Radio is a 7 seed?

there were a lot of factors that went into the decisions. mostly i tried to look at things like this: if i was showing somebody alkaline trio for the first time ever, somebody who had never heard of them before, would this be a good song to show them first? could i imagine this song being played on the (actual) radio?

for the song "radio", i think the opening line of "shaking like a dog shitting razorblades" is funny and clever and yeah i liked it as a 17 year old, but as a 29 year old looking at things from a different perspective... does it hold up? i didn't think so. or at least not as much as some of the other songs.

i also think there's a very big difference between "is this a GOOD song" and "do i LIKE this song?" which was a very hard distinction for me to make. to separate myself from my feelings from a specific song, and look at it objectively, it was a tall order. these songs have been the soundtrack to the last (nearly) 20 years of my life. so, basically, my whole intelligent life. i tried my best to rank them objectively.

i've heard these songs literally hundreds of times each, but when you listen to them with a certain perspective, your attitude toward them changes. i listened to every song as i was making this list multiple times, as well. i started just ranking the songs on each album. so i listened to Cringe. then i listened to Cop. is Cop better than Cringe? no. Cringe is 1, Cop is 2. then i listened to San Francisco. is San Francisco better than Cringe? yes. San Francisco is 1, Cringe is 2, Cop is 3. etc etc etc for 8 studio albums, all the EPs and other miscellaneous recordings.

there are definitely rankings for some songs that really surprised me, too. but i think that makes a tournament like this interesting. everybody has their own opinions, and would rank 128 songs from one of the most iconic punk bands of our generation slightly differently than somebody else. your personal experience differs from your best friend's, which differs from somebody who lives across the country from you. that's why i put it up for a vote, so we can all decide together which songs really are the best.

haha oh trust me i'm well aware.

it's been interesting to see how many of the newer songs are getting votes (and sometimes LOTS of votes) in matchups that i didn't expect them to going in. for example, San Francisco - which is the #1 seed in the Orange Region - is going up against Live Young, Die Fast. so far there have been 30 votes cast for that matchup, and SF has only received 23 of them. who are these 7 people who think Live Young, Die Fast is a better song than San Francisco? i'd like to know just so i can ask them if they're okay.

i think there's going to be lots of surprises in the early rounds, but fewer as the tournament goes on. but that's the fun. we'll see what happens...

yes, once a matchup goes live, voting will last 48 hours. i broke the first round up into 2 separate days (Red and Orange Regions are live, Black and Yellow Regions are not yet). Red and Orange will last 48 hours. then once that time period is over, Black and Yellow will go live and their voting period will last 48 hours.

once that time period is over, the next batch of matchups goes live, etc. etc. etc.

the first round of voting for the Red Region and the Orange Region is now officially over. the updated bracket can be seen in its entirety at www.tinyurl.com/alkalinetrio666 if you're curious to look ahead to the second round matchups in each of those regions.

ALSO!

the first round of voting for the Black Region and the Yellow Region is now officially under way. go to www.twitter.com/alkalinetrio666 to vote on each of those matchups, which will be open for the next 48 hours.

some additional notes...

1,492 total votes were cast (1,629 if you include the 3 play-in games).

biggest upsets of the first round:

Red Region: the 28 seed Trucks And Trains beat the 5 seed Fine.

Orange Region: the 28 seed Fall Victim beat the 5 seed Burned Is The House.

biggest blowouts of the first round:

Red Region: the 1 seed '97 received 40 votes, against only 7 votes for the 32 seed I Wanna Be A Warhol

Orange Region: the 4 seed Old School Reasons received 42 votes, against only 4 votes for the 29 seed The Temptation Of St. Anthony

some of the voting is really interesting to me. like yeah, there are definitely first round matchups that are hard to choose between the two songs. and that's only going to get tougher as the tournament continues.

but matchups like Message From Kathlene vs. One Last Dance.... honestly who is voting for One Last Dance? Stupid Kid vs. The American Scream? Hell Yes vs. Smoke? i'd have thought those would be absolute 100% locks. no brainers. and yeah, all of the better songs in those matchups are going to advance, but how are the others even getting a single vote? that's what's been so interesting to me about this experiment. seeing how vastly different peoples' musical tastes can be, even when they're into the same band.