PO || SUMAC - What One Becomes

Guest Secular Haze

Clear has been ordered. A million thanks to SecHaze giving me the headsup. You. Da. Man.

Another main man gave me the word. Pass, assist, dunk.

I just realized that between A Minor Forest, Lightning Bolt, Tortoise and now Sumac, Thrill Jockey have/had some of the greatest drummers on their label.

Tell me more about A Minor Forest if you have a moment.  They're the only group on that list that I'm not a huge fan with, and that's only because I've never heard of them.

Thrill Jockey is cultivating a nice little metal roster.  I like it!

I was thinking that myself, especially with that latest Body release.  I'm into it.

Was worried when I saw the price that the packaging may not be anything special but then after reading the description I'm loving the price!!

Their pricing has been on-point for sure.  That description sounds lovely.  After reading it and seeing the track lengths, this album has vaulted up near the top of my hype list for 2016 releases.  Still unsure if I want to watch the teaser trailer or not – my heart can only handle so much.

Derek, A Minor Forest are so so good. 90s math rock recorded by Steve Albini and Bob Weston. I'm not good at describing music and would make an awful music journalist but this'll speak for itself:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Aqneq5J_s

This is drenched in that unmistakable Albini production that I've been craving more of for quite some time.  Thanks for the link and rec, as always.

They're a little more gritty and dark (and less aquatic and lush) than Isis, but the sprawling structures of the tracks coupled with Aaron's vocals makes me feel like The Deal is the closest thing we're getting to new Isis material anytime soon. Sumac feel right at home while also being their own kind of behemoth, and I really admire that. It just makes me wonder if all fellow Isis fans feel like they resonate comparably well with this project, or if that's a comparison I'm alone in drawing. Either way, I just hope Gumbo doesn't stumble across this thread anytime soon.

They're a little more gritty and dark (and less aquatic and lush) than Isis, but the sprawling structures of the tracks coupled with Aaron's vocals makes me feel like The Deal is the closest thing we're getting to new Isis material anytime soon. Sumac feel right at home while also being their own kind of behemoth, and I really admire that. It just makes me wonder if all fellow Isis fans feel like they resonate comparably well with this project, or if that's a comparison I'm alone in drawing. Either way, I just hope Gumbo doesn't stumble across this thread anytime soon.

I feel like SUMAC is a little too heavy for some people who hung on to the softer ISIS moments. This project is definitely more of a OLD MAN GLOOM brother to me than ISIS. I feel like ISIS is the cousin, not the other way around.

Although I did not enjoy The Deal nearly as much as everyone else, I did go ahead and pre-order a clear after hearing that insane teaser. I think that The Ape of God hit such a high note for me at the end of an otherwise weak year for me that I did not give SUMAC the attention it needed. Even after attending shows of both bands in the early months of last year, I still found OMG to be my favorite project of Aarons. I'm so glad Kurt is on board for this release, I love everything that man touches.

How many times have you spun Deal, Kurazz? I dug what I heard right out of the gates and was definitely content with the record for a good bit, but in the last two months I've been revising it rampantly. (Mostly for a show that was canceled a few weeks back.) In the process I managed to really, really heighten my appreciation for the album. It's not as immediately rewarding as a lot of folks hope it'd be, I think, but I feel like it delivers from start to finish.