HD Vinyl (Is the bubble about to burst?)

Based on what I've heard here and there about the various bottlenecks in the vinyl manufacturing process, especially in the cutting & plating stages (I don't have the energy to go find it all again but suffice it to say the entire industry could be thrown into chaos if like 10 key old dudes die), this seems like a much needed step toward a more sustainable future for vinyl. Old dorks will throw a fit about it being a digital process, but if it indeed sounds demonstrably better then maybe all the analog lifers will be forced to shut up once and for all.

The benefits for new releases are obvious, I suppose the (valid) fear is that this will just be another excuse to dump more reissues of dollar bin rock albums down the pipeline.

The “digital” stage of this process kind of negates the “need” for the vinyl LP altogether.

Why not just play the hi res digital file through a “tube amp,” and get the same thing?

The best sounding LPs are the ones that are all “analog.”

Like the recent “abbey road” digital re-issues, I think this is the wrong direction to go.

The MBV re-issues are the right way. 

And regarding the 30% more playing time, just cut it hotter and spread it across two LPs. Especially, if you insisit on charging $30+ for it. ;)

8 hours ago, MicLima said:

From what I understand, the laser etches the stamper.  I presume the extra "30%" in space equates to smaller grooves, not sure how that would affect the stylus (if at all).

I appreciate that you used affect correctly. Get it, booboo. <3

1 hour ago, AlexH. said:

Counterpoint: there is nothing inherently superior about analog recording by any objective measure.

True. However “analog” recording sounds “different,” and some people, like me, prefer that sound.

The vinyl LP format IS analog. Why would you not keep everything within the production chain “in analog,” when you are mastering an analog format? (Provided the music was recorded that way in the first place.)

5 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

True. However “analog” recording sounds “different,” and some people, like me, prefer that sound.

The vinyl LP format IS analog. Why would you not keep everything within the production chain “in analog,” when you are mastering an analog format? (Provided the music was recorded that way in the first place.)

The aesthetically pleasing aspects of vinyl sound come from distortion at the needle and the amp. I wouldn't think this new stamper manufacturing process would affect either of those things.

As to why: theoretically, it's faster, way less of a pain in the ass, and less expensive in the long run. Plus, 99.9% of contemporary music is digitally recorded. Hell, even Jack White uses Pro Tools now. I suppose you could take it a step further and say "why even make vinyl then?" to which I would say, great point! I'm certainly not going to let logic get in my way, though. I'm going to keep hauling my wall of records around until I'm dead like a giant dumbass.

8 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

The aesthetically pleasing aspects of vinyl sound come from distortion at the needle and the amp. I wouldn't think this new stamper manufacturing process would affect either of those things.

As to why: theoretically, it's faster, way less of a pain in the ass, and less expensive in the long run. Plus, 99.9% of contemporary music is digitally recorded. Hell, even Jack White uses Pro Tools now. I suppose you could take it a step further and say "why even make vinyl then?" to which I would say, great point! I'm certainly not going to let logic get in my way, though. I'm going to keep hauling my wall of records around until I'm dead like a giant dumbass.

Ha Ha Ha Ha....same here. :P

Edited by Plarocks

Here's my million dollar idea: use that same laser cutter idea, but instead of grooves, cut 1s and 0s into a disc. Then, using a laser to read it, you can have such precise playback, it sounds the exact same every time!

tbh optimizing cutting isn't a bad idea at all, but it certainly seems like this is gonna end up being another "HD" marketing scam