PO: Thrice - To Be Everywhere Is to Be Nowhere

Soooooooooo it literally just hit me this morning when I was listening to Blood on the Sand again that this clip is from this song.  So that's disappointing (even though I still love this song).  But I thought we were going to have something batshit ridiculous heavy.  But no, that clip is from the end of the song when he sings quietly and then explodes into the last bit of it.

Soooooooooo it literally just hit me this morning when I was listening to Blood on the Sand again that this clip is from this song. So that's disappointing (even though I still love this song). But I thought we were going to have something batshit ridiculous heavy. But no, that clip is from the end of the song when he sings quietly and then explodes into the last bit of it.

Thought that too when I first heard the song, but then for some reason just kind of dismissed the idea in my head.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon lowered the price for this, it's below 20, so basically no reason to buy it in their store...

Also Dustin being butthurt about negative comments is so awful. Instead of taking real critisim he fights back. Childish and accepting the fact that the song is bad.

I feel like song isn't that far removed from where they were heading with beggars and major/minor. People are so reactionary. I suppose if you were expecting them to return with the illusion of safety pt. 2 I can see where the disappointment is but that kind of thinking is really naive since they've been on a pretty clear trajectory when it comes to songwriting since vheissu.

Amazon lowered the price for this, it's below 20, so basically no reason to buy it in their store...

Also Dustin being butthurt about negative comments is so awful. Instead of taking real critisim he fights back. Childish and accepting the fact that the song is bad.

I didn't necessarily read it as being "butthurt," rather as a justifiable call out to people who have the audacity to hide behind the internet as a platform to give useless opinions. Real criticism to me comes from people who have actually created art through music and have put effort into putting knowledge behind how it is created, then expressing it with more intellectual thoughts other than "this song sucks, you guys suck." If it wasn't what you were hoping for, then oh well. I for one don't think bands owe anyone a single thing. I don't think Thrice owes me another Illusion Of Safety, and quite frankly, I don't desire another one. Everyone here will always have their favorite record from them, and I think that says a lot of their capabilities as artists - to give you something great you will always remember. By the looks of it, which I can tell others agree, this album seems like it's staying consistent in musical direction based off of their past growth from record to record, and that's what seems to be important: artistic growth, not stagnant crowd pleasing.

I didn't necessarily read it as being "butthurt," rather as a justifiable call out to people who have the audacity to hide behind the internet as a platform to give useless opinions. Real criticism to me comes from people who have actually created art through music and have put effort into putting knowledge behind how it is created, then expressing it with more intellectual thoughts other than "this song sucks, you guys suck." If it wasn't what you were hoping for, then oh well. I for one don't think bands owe anyone a single thing. I don't think Thrice owes me another Illusion Of Safety, and quite frankly, I don't desire another one. Everyone here will always have their favorite record from them, and I think that says a lot of their capabilities as artists - to give you something great you will always remember. By the looks of it, which I can tell others agree, this album seems like it's staying consistent in musical direction based off of their past growth from record to record, and that's what seems to be important: artistic growth, not stagnant crowd pleasing.

Totally agree. I didn't read it as butt hurt at all either.

Wow we are one step away from the cliché of "If you don't like it, make something better"...

Why would have to be someone a musician to deciede if she/he likes something or not? You can't dislike movie unless you are a director? that's just BS.

also, I don't think anyone wants anothe IOS, As for myself I just want quality thrice, and not some radiorock crap. I guess I want too much

Wow we are one step away from the cliché of "If you don't like it, make something better"...

Why would have to be someone a musician to deciede if she/he likes something or not? You can't dislike movie unless you are a director? that's just BS.

also, I don't think anyone wants anothe IOS, As for myself I just want quality thrice, and not some radiorock crap. I guess I want too much

I clearly never dared you to create something better. My comment towards you were based off of your misconception on an artist challenging people's intentions on why a listener would feel the need to go out of their way to tear down something they created, without having proper knowledge on how to judge a song or band with the example of their uneducated response. I think people's reactions over the internet are pretty uncalled for most of the time like that of yours, because I would assume that they wouldn't have the guts to approach the artist in person with their "comments" about whatever their beef is, hence hiding behind the veil of the internet. You now have the platform to be a dumbass without backing.

All in all, it really is fine to have opinions in life. It makes us who we are right? But my problem is with unintelligible people who blurt out their opinions in a negative fashion, with hopes to rip on something created by another individual, especially one that you might seem to respect. Thrice hasn't done anything wrong in my eyes, and I can't wait for an entire album full of "radiorock crap." It's going to be so glorious, and probably a highlight for most in 2016.

Yeah don't agree with the thought that "you have to create art in order to judge it" at all.

I'm curious, what do you think you are quoting of what I said? My comments are more in regards to the need to feel to express your negativity towards an artist, not the legitimacy of you being able to judge something for yourself.

I'm curious, what do you think you are quoting of what I said? My comments are more in regards to the need to feel to express your negativity towards an artist, not the legitimacy of you being able to judge something for yourself.

Even in your last response you contradict yourself...

without having proper knowledge on how to judge a song or band with the example of their uneducated response.

Even though people may not be able to fully articulate what they do or don't like about something using the correct terminology, it doesn't give them any less right to say, "I don't like this."

People can know something isn't good even though they don't create that specific thing themselves.

I'm too lazy to paraphrase this on mobile so I'll just copy and paste it. I'm sure you'll get the gist though:

"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description, and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it."

I definitely want another IOS, but I'm not delusional and don't ever expect that to happen.

I definitely want another IOS, but I'm not delusional and don't ever expect that to happen.

Same here.  I would have no problem with them back peddling on their sound.  I'm lukewarm on Beggars and Major/Minor.  I think that if the new album is further in that direction, which is most likely will be, it'll lose me.

I think Dustin was talking less about people not liking the single and more about people dismissing the entire album based on one song as if they've given it a fair chance.

Also, I don't agree that you have to be able to create music to judge music, but to be fair, there is a big difference between saying a song sucks and saying "I don't like that song." Saying a song sucks does claim a sort of objective authority as to what makes something a good song. You set yourself up to be challenged because you have taken the position of authority on the subject. Simply stating that you don't like a song allows for the fact that your opinion is subjective and that others may differ. Just my two cents.

In the age of hyperbole and bluster, words seem to mean less the more people use them.

Listened to it twice and I'm not feeling it.  Too far into the hard rock direction for my taste.  I'm going to cancel my preorder and wait until I can hear the whole thing before I make a decision on buying it.  Two singles that I don't like don't have me hopeful for the rest of the album.