PO: Thrice - To Be Everywhere Is to Be Nowhere

5 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

Based on the 3 tracks released thus far, I have a feeling I'm going to like this record a lot less than beggars and major minor. 

Hah, don't get me wrong. They're good records but I'm glad to hear them return to a little more aggressive songwriting. Plus, black honey is ace front to back. 

9 hours ago, mattisr1984 said:

Hah, don't get me wrong. They're good records but I'm glad to hear them return to a little more aggressive songwriting. Plus, black honey is ace front to back. 

I'm glad you're enjoying the songs so far. Ultimately, I'm hoping the album as a whole works well, but I've been really unimpressed so far.

I don't understand where people are hearing the "aggressive songwriting." To me these new songs sound like Thrice knock-offs, but without as much character. Major/Minor and Beggars lacked really aggressive songs, but I thought the band finally started to dial-in their own sound, especially with Major/Minor which was a fantastic, cohesive record.  From my perspective, aggressive Thrice is obvious in songs like The Messenger, Hold Fast Hope, or Paper Tigers.  I like Thrice when they're melting my face off, but I don't need that on every record. I'm definitely not hearing anything like that in the new songs, but that isn't a big deal to me.  These songs just aren't connecting with me like anything they've done in the past.

I'm going to withhold judgment until I can properly spin the album, but I am keeping my expectations low (maybe that will help).

1 hour ago, throwgncpr said:

I'm glad you're enjoying the songs so far. Ultimately, I'm hoping the album as a whole works well, but I've been really unimpressed so far.

I don't understand where people are hearing the "aggressive songwriting." To me these new songs sound like Thrice knock-offs, but without as much character. Major/Minor and Beggars lacked really aggressive songs, but I thought the band finally started to dial-in their own sound, especially with Major/Minor which was a fantastic, cohesive record.  From my perspective, aggressive Thrice is obvious in songs like The Messenger, Hold Fast Hope, or Paper Tigers.  I like Thrice when they're melting my face off, but I don't need that on every record. I'm definitely not hearing anything like that in the new songs, but that isn't a big deal to me.  These songs just aren't connecting with me like anything they've done in the past.

I'm going to withhold judgment until I can properly spin the album, but I am keeping my expectations low (maybe that will help).

I couldn't agree more with you, I love that they're back and making music but the 3 released songs haven't done much for me. Thrice has been a favorite band of mine that I hold in high regard and always will but the 3 released songs haven't done much for my excitement. I do like the 3 songs but none of them have really grabbed me, like the first time I heard Image of the Invisible or even the first time I heard All the World is Mad, it feels more like the first time I heard Cataracts, happy for new Thrice but not terribly thrilled with the song. M/m is probably my least favorite album of theirs. It's not a bad album by any means but it never really grabbed me like Vheissu, AI, AITA, IOS, or Beggars. I think my list would look like this:

1. Vheissu

2. Beggars

3. Artist

4. Alchemy

5. IOS/IC

6. M/m

7. TBEITBN (but who the hell knows, I haven' heard the damn thing yet)

I'm excited for this because everyone seems to have a different opinion on it. I haven't listened to anything from it yet, and don't plan to until I get the LP. I haven't enjoyed a Thice record since Vheissu, so I really don't have a single expectation besides it being a Thrice record. 

4 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

i wouldnt call these songs "heavy" but they seem (to me) to have way more drive and energy than what was on the last couple records. not withstanding a couple tracks on beggars, they also appear to have a lot more bite as well. i also felt like with beggars and major / minor that it was the first time that the band released consecutive records that didn't do something substantially different from the previous one so in some ways those records kind of blur together for me at times. They're good records that have some great moments. they just sound more inspired here than they have in awhile. 

Edited by mattisr1984

1 hour ago, Dave Grohl said:

Looked into my shipping details. Hasn't gone out yet, but it's shipping from Crozet which is only two hours from me; interesting. Says it's estimated to ship Friday. Odd it's coming via FedEx, but since it's so close I'm guessing it'll be here Monday or so. 

Mine is coming from Crozet too (also two hours from me). My estimated ship date was LAST Friday. Are you sure yours says 5/27 not 5/20? 

20 minutes ago, jaba1337 said:

Overall not a bad album, but I'm not a big fan.  A lot of "radio biscuits".   Just something missing here, not the Thrice I've known in the past, even with all of their evolution.  Seems kind of generic.  Musically it sounds pretty good, but the lyrics are creeping into Three Days Grace realm.

I totally feel the same about the radio biscuit thing, it's somewhat better in that way than the last two, but damn when I think about this band wrote Vheissu or even Alchemy Index, i have to cringe....

Only listened once but I have a feeling a lot of people are going to dislike it at first and then warm up to it after. My two complaints would be that the The window is a weak track and upon multiple listens of death from above I kind of feel like those lyrics feel a little forced to fit the song. It's definitely the most guitar heavy thing they've done in a long, long time (and that tone is just mean sounding). Need to give it a few more listens before I can decide where it stacks up with everything else but I like what I heard.