PO: Thrice - To Be Everywhere Is to Be Nowhere

The days of aggressive Paper Tigers are gone, after my first two initial listens I'd say it's more in the vein of M/m with some Alchemy thrown in there. I'm not sure if it was my low expectations because of the first 3 released songs but I'm honestly enjoying the shit out of this album so far. Hurricane is the best song on the album but I can see a few others making their way to the top. Musically it's some of the best I've heard from Thrice in a long time, lyrically it's very political and I feel has a lot of deeper meanings rooted in politics. So far digging it more than M/m. 

I don't feel like I'm comfortable gauging the album as a whole yet, given that EVERY Thrice album post-TAITA took 5+ listens for me to even gain a decent handle on. Of course, people are entitled to their opinions, but for this one, I think it's important for people to give it more of a chance. However, after 4 listens, the only tracks that I'm having a difficult time getting into are Wake Up and Stay with Me. Both of their choruses are really, really, poppy sounding. My favorites thus far are Hurricane, The Window, The Long Defeat, and Salt and Shadow. The hate I'm reading here for The Window is kind of blowing my mind. The lyrics are sick and very illustrative- their content totally fits the creepy and heavy dissonance. I'm looking forward to diving further into this album. 

Lyrically speaking I hear quite a few duds on the first go.  But whether or not it has to do with me only exposing myself to Blood on the Sand (and subsequently setting the bar pretty low), I'm happy to say that I'm enjoying this album a lot more than I thought I would.  The energy, hooks, and brevity of the record make this feel like it's tailored for accessibility and easy replays, but that's not a bad thing.  I think it's more consistent than Major/Minor.  It doesn't hit as hard as Alchemy or Vheissu, but for what it is I think it's a great notch in Thrice's already-impressive belt of studio releases.

The only song I'm having a little bit of a tough time with on my initial listens is Stay With Me. Just doesn't feel like Thrice to me. Wake Up is also a little tough but I think I like it. Feels like a lot of songs are getting stuck in this "mid-tempo" and streamlined songwriting approach that used to be more rare for them. I don't know. I really like it but I'm not sure I love it. 

Ive given it 3 full listens and i still think its pretty good. Really Love the guitar tone. Lyrics are lacking a bit more than i expected. I think hurricane, the long defeat and black honey are my favorite tracks. The more I listen to death from above, the less I like it. Sounds like you would hear it on a madden football game soundtrack or something. Overall, It sort of feels like they wanted to write an album full of songs that was in the spirit of image of the invisible and music box to me. 

Edited by mattisr1984

57 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Lyrically speaking I hear quite a few duds on the first go.  But whether or not it has to do with me only exposing myself to Blood on the Sand (and subsequently setting the bar pretty low), I'm happy to say that I'm enjoying this album a lot more than I thought I would.  The energy, hooks, and brevity of the record make this feel like it's tailored for accessibility and easy replays, but that's not a bad thing.  I think it's more consistent than Major/Minor.  It doesn't hit as hard as Alchemy or Vheissu, but for what it is I think it's a great notch in Thrice's already-impressive belt of studio releases.

Mine gets in tomorrow. I'm stoked to hear it after reading this.

I downloaded and listened on my way to work this morning - it's exactly what they said it was going to be: the next logical progression in their sound.  I've been following them since Identity Crisis and I'd say this easily fits as another top-notch entry in their catalog.  I've had to digest their last few albums before I came around to them, but this one just feels more accessible right off the bat.  Some really great songs on here - excited to get out of work now so I can listen again.  Now I need to hunt down that variant!