Pro-ject Essential 2 vs Debut III

I was thinking of buying a turntable and, being on a budget, I was considering the Pro-ject Essential 2 (or the Rega Rp1 with Rega Carbon cartridge). But an offer has come across: a Pro-ject Debut III, for less than the Essential.I know the Debut Carbon line has overpassed the Debut III, and that's probably the reason of this price (maybe the store wants to get rid of old stock). Is the Debut III better than the Essential 2? I've read about engine noise issues on some Debut III...

Opinions and advise wellcome! Thanks.

I have a Debut III and about a month after I bought it (used I might add) the motor was making a really loud noise. It still worked but even with the dust cover it would make an annoying buzzing noise. Luckily it was relatively cheap to replace and pretty easy too. I've had it about a year now and it works perfectly. Keep in mind that the platter is 10'' so any regular size LP will hang over the sides .It isn't anything major but something to consider. I don't know how much the website is selling it for but I got it used $200 and with the motor replacement that ran an extra $50. Still not bad for the quality and sound of the turntable, even if it is considered entry level.

Good luck!

I have the essential II. I'm really happy with it. It's easy enough to set up, runs quietly, and switching between 33 and 45 rpm is simple. The only thing that annoys me is the felt slipmat. It gets very staticy and can cling to the record when you want to flip from side A to B. I've been meaning to grab a cork mat as a replacement for quite some time. Other than that, it's something I'd recommended.