PO: LUH - Spiritual Songs For Lovers To Sing (ex-WU LYF frontman)

LUH (which stands for Lost Under Heaven) is Ellery Roberts and Ebony Hoorn. Over the past two years, they have been releasing music, art, photography, film and manifestos into the world, including 2014's 'Unites' video and the expansive 'Lost Under Heaven' music and artwork package at the end of last year. Ellery's name might be familiar as the frontman of WU LYF, whose raw and primal voice helped create a sound that shaped a new model for the untamed fury of youth. Ebony is an audio-visual artist based in Amsterdam, where the pair now live, and co-directed the new video with Florian Joahn. 'Spiritual Songs For Lovers To Sing' is the pair's debut album and was produced by The Haxan Cloak (known for his own genre-bending experimental compositions and work on Bjork's Vulnicura album) in 2015 on the remote island of Osea. 

Here is the link to the official pre-order page but there are other places to order from if you search

http://www.mutebank.co.uk/mutebank/mutebank/Spiritual-Songs-for-Lovers-to-Sing-Black-White-Vinyl/54EQ0000000

Rough Trade has an exclusive version limited to 350 with "Extra Special Packaging" that is still available

http://www.roughtrade.com/albums/101943

I still revisit Go Tell Fire To The Mountain pretty regularly.  (And can't believe how much it's resold for, since being OOP.)  And Haxan Cloak's production has never steered me wrong on any project before... which is saying quite a bit, since the man is involved in a lot of music.  That I&I single is beautiful, too; those backing strings especially.  Mmm.

Anyone know what the differences are between the 3 versions at Rough Trade?  There's LP+, LPX2, and LP.  But the description states that they're all double LPs (with A/B being white, and C/D being black), with their own sleeves, housed in a PVC jacket, with a poster / bonus CD / download.  The only difference is that the LP+ is allegedly limited to 350 with "extra special packaging", and the "LP" description mentions that there are 3 prints inside the indie-store versions.

Really confusing setup.

Went with the 350 though, since it was the same price and [apparently?] the same product as the other two, with the addition of limited "special" packaging.  Guess we'll see.  Either way, I had no idea this project existed and am grateful for another May release to be excited about.  Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone know what the differences are between the 3 versions at Rough Trade?

There's LP+, LPX2, and LP.  But the description states that they're all double LPs (with A/B being white, and C/D being black), with their own sleeves, housed in a PVC jacket, with a poster / bonus CD / download.  The only difference is that the LP+ is allegedly limited to 350 with "extra special packaging", and the "LP" description mentions that there are 3 prints inside the indie-store versions.

Exactly. The vinyl are all the same A/B white/black, but it's the packaging or prints that make the three options different.

Exactly. The vinyl are all the same A/B white/black, but it's the packaging or prints that make the three options different.

Just seems extra confusing that only one of them is listed as "LPX2" when they're all technically double LPs, you know?  And the "LP" option makes it sound like the prints are only available if you get it in-store.  So if that's the case, wouldn't "LP" and "LPX2" be the same when ordering from Rough Trade?  (lol)  Leaving "LP+" as the only differing option?

I know that the above paragraph reads ridiculously.  I don't actually care that much – I'm sure I'l be content with what I ordered.

LP option is the indie exclusive version...so standard jacket but comes with bonus prints.

LP+ is the Rough Trade version with extra special packaging...but no prints. 
2LP is basically the standard release with no extras.

But yeah, I completely agree that RT's Lp, LP+, 2LP naming is very confusing, especially when they're all 2xlp. 

LP option is the indie exclusive version...so standard jacket but comes with bonus prints.

LP+ is the Rough Trade version with extra special packaging...but no prints. 

2LP is basically the standard release with no extras.

But yeah, I completely agree that RT's Lp, LP+, 2LP naming is very confusing, especially when they're all 2xlp. 

Makes a bit more sense when you break it down like that.  Listed poorly still, but oh well.  Sounds like you've got all your bases covered regardless.

Anyone else feel some major Baths vibes on that intro piano in I&I?

I use the RT site a lot, and I think they are stuck because their catalogue/shop system has only a limited number of 'sections' that releases can go under. So LP+ should live in 2LP+ for example but that actually doesn't exist. This probably hasn't been a problem over the years, but these days with 'teh Hobby' meaning so many variants come out it causes confusion.

Anyway. Ordered the 100 edition 12. Maybe the LP soon.

This is what the guy from RT had to say....not much info to really base an opinion.

"Sorry to not be of more help, but, we haven't been told exactly what the 'extra special packaging' is yet, but we have have been assured by the label that it'll be worth the wait! If you'd like to hold off on the order until we find out what it is I'm sure we'll be putting a more detailed description on the website when we know."

I feel like this will definitely catch a decent amount of buzz simply because of the WU LYF exposure. This is the type of stuff that will end up on a ton of best off lists but still somehow never really take off. I could be wrong. Hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see this take off...I think it's going to be REALLY good.

there is something about this sound that gets better the more I listen to it , and i have to admit it's not normally the thing I'd go for. Now have the 12" at home and after 2 spins it's getting inside me. looking forward to the album..

there are some more copies of the 12" available in a couple of German online shops. It's sold out in UK everywhere now and as only 100 were made it's interesting that any made it out of the UK.