PO Soon: Hey Mercedes - Everynight Fire Works & The Weekend EP 15th Anniversary Repress

I went to both nyc shows and picking up a tour variant was top priority. I just opened my copy i got at the show last night and looks like they gave me the splatter instead. I'm so bummed out right now. If they're not totally out of the tour variant and someone can grab me one at one of the upcoming shows, I'd seriously be eternally grateful.

This is one of my all time favorites and I'm kinda heartbroken right now :(:( 

On 7/17/2016 at 3:43 PM, themeconspiracy said:

I went to both nyc shows and picking up a tour variant was top priority. I just opened my copy i got at the show last night and looks like they gave me the splatter instead. I'm so bummed out right now. If they're not totally out of the tour variant and someone can grab me one at one of the upcoming shows, I'd seriously be eternally grateful.

This is one of my all time favorites and I'm kinda heartbroken right now :(:( 

If nobody can help you out, I will sell you mine for cost + shipping.

It's far from "one of my all time favorites", so I can live without it.

3 minutes ago, deer said:

Keep in mind that the way Pirates Press takes pictures of their records results in their transparent purple looking red-ish. Will probably have a different hue in-person.

Even with that in mind...go back and look at last page vs this one on he left.

1 hour ago, deer said:

That's true, but that picture was also taken with the record held up to light with it shining through.

A lot of translucent a side/b side with splatter records are pretty bland looking without some light. I have no doubt that I will be pleased with the finish product based on previous experience with similar variants.

Just now, dantheriver said:

A lot of translucent a side/b side with splatter records are pretty bland looking without some light. I have no doubt that I will be pleased with the finish product based on previous experience with similar variants.

Definitely. Translucent aside/bsides do this pretty normally, I think. I love them, though. The Aside/Bside translucent copy of Knuckle Puck's While I Stay Secluded is an amazing example of this.

Without light:

561d5c1680c49.jpg

With light:

Screen-Shot-2014-11-29-at-5.52.39-PM.png

18 minutes ago, deer said:

Definitely. Translucent aside/bsides do this pretty normally, I think. I love them, though. The Aside/Bside translucent copy of Knuckle Puck's While I Stay Secluded is an amazing example of this.

Without light:

561d5c1680c49.jpg

With light:

Screen-Shot-2014-11-29-at-5.52.39-PM.png

Yeah...that one looks pretty good even without the light though. We'll see, I just got my hopes up with that first photo.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

On 7/9/2016 at 7:04 AM, birdwell said:

I can tell by their boxes.

Both are true.   Pirate Press and A to Z are US Brokers for the GZ plant in the CzechRepublic, so all of "their" pressings go through the CzechRepublic.   

In my experience their pressings are very hit or miss as far as sound quality is concerned...additionally most of the crazier looking pressings (especially the hazes) tend to be really dirty right off of the press.  Their packaging is extremely cheap and lackluster and usually slightly too large which often results in seam splits.

Theres also rumor that they often just use a CD or low quality mp3s to source the audio from...sometimes even if you're getting a legit laquer cut to send to them, they'll start the project without waiting on the proper master...that part is speculative rumor, but everything in that above ramble is personal experience.

Respectfully, this information is not correct. Like any plant, Pirates/GZ use the audio you provide them. Are you implying that even when provided a quality vinyl master, they are somehow acquiring a CD or downloading MP3s and using those instead? Why would that ever happen? Some people prefer DMM and some don't, both methods have their pros and cons, but 99.9% of people would never notice the difference. If you've have poor sounding GZ pressings, it's because of the master provided. Sometimes their different configurations, haze in particular, has a "dust" or "sand" on it, which can easily be wiped off and does not scratch or hurt the record. This is definitely not ideal, but not the end of the world. 

GZ uses Direct Metal Mastering, which is a different process from using a lacquer. If you get a lacquer made and send it to Pirates or any plant pressing DMM vinyl you have wasted hundreds of dollars for no reason. 

Cheap packaging: Have you seen or held one of the Hey Mercedes 2xLPs, or really anything we've put out recently? You could likely knock someone out with it if you were so inclined. Like any plant in the world there is a multitude of packaging options. Nice things cost money. Some people don't want to pay for it, and in return their products have lighter/flimsier jackets. Blaming this on the plant makes zero sense. 

Edited by runforcover

It's hard to disagree or correct information without sounding like an asshole, but I assure you I do not mean to sound like an asshole, nor am I trying to make someone look stupid. If anyone cares to read about DMM vs. Lacquer vinyl pressing there's tons of information provided with a quick google search, but I found the explanation of the two here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/poll-dmm-direct-metal-mastering-vs-lacquer-mastering-vs-dtd-direct-to-disc.350378/ to be pretty succint explanations. 

Edited by runforcover