Separating the art from the artist

I think a good question for the general population would be if they know most of their favorite classics were written under the influence. I always find it funny when older people who are vehemently against something dumb like pot only listen to classic rock and the Beatles.

My mom felt weird when I told her that all of Stephen King's career up until the 80's ended was fueled by booze, coke, weed, and prescrip opiates. It's funny how it can change someone's opinion.

. It's pretty interesting when it clicks in your head like 'whoaaaaaa... this song is about [insert subject here]? Holy shit.'

I grew up and found out what Semi Charmed Life was about. And remembered it was in a commercial for The Tigger Movie haha. Shit blew me away.

It's a great question, and also a tough one to answer.  I'll weigh in with personal examples of my thoughts on this.  There have been numerous bands/musicians that I've played with in the past, that were just terrible people, and I was no longer able to support their music due to this.  For instance, prior to playing with him, I was a fan of Joshua Radin; however, after playing a show and him doing a number of questionable, crummy, and rude things, I couldn't bring myself to listen to his music any longer.  Though I wasn't a fan of He is Legend, I was certain after playing with them that I would not support their material.  If someone is an asshole, I don't want to put money in their pockets.  I loved Mark Kozelek, but after all of his tirades and bouts of self-entitlement, I can't even listen to him anymore.  

L o L @ not understanding what the question even means. Separating art from the artist isn't selling their stuff...

Also this person clearly didn't follow any of what happened with Michael Gira after the initial accusation (if the Swans thing is regarding that whole deal.)