[PO] Swans – The Glowing Man

I need this, right?  I've only listened to their first album and that was not too long ago cause my buddy and me went to a local store and I saw the album there and bought it on a whim because every always says how good they are.  I listened to it and I loved it.  So I need to get their other stuff as well.

3 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

I need this, right?  I've only listened to their first album and that was not too long ago cause my buddy and me went to a local store and I saw the album there and bought it on a whim because every always says how good they are.  I listened to it and I loved it.  So I need to get their other stuff as well.

They have a large discography with a diverse sound that covers arguably 3 to 5 eras (depending on who you talk to). Lots of great music.

1 hour ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

To Be Kind has some good stuff, but it felt like treading water. 

...like TBK is the lesser sibling of The Seer.

Yeah, I'm a little more fond of Seer as well.  That album is a little too good.

1 hour ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Which is the "first album" you picked up?  This new one sees Swans at their most approachable, I think, as far as drone / noise / repetition is concerned.  I would absolutely pick it up if not solely for the grooves, riffs, and general musicianship.  I think it's my favorite thing that their current lineup has done.

1 hour ago, DOMAN127 said:

I feel like the first disc will grow on me more, but the second disc is untouchable, wow it's great.

It will.  The opener is a slow burner but Unknowing has so many great phases and really goes hard when it finds its stride.  Red / Black is a really lush Swans before entering hellish big-band mode.  Great variety all around, but disc two is definitely a show-stealer.  The builds in Frankie M. never fail to hype me up.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Which is the "first album" you picked up?  This new one sees Swans at their most approachable, I think, as far as drone / noise / repetition is concerned.  I would absolutely pick it up if not solely for the grooves, riffs, and general musicianship.  I think it's my favorite thing that their current lineup has done.

"Filth."

"Filth."

Yeah, this is night-and-day different.  That's the great thing about Swans; they've spanned so many sounds over the years.  Their most recent stretch of albums have a far wider implementation of instruments, tighter production, more elaborate song structures, and lengthier instrumental passages than anything on Filth.  Not to mention, these newer albums feature single tracks that are as long as Filth in its entirety.

Apparently I'm forced to quote you again on account of a double post?  Amazing.

But to utilize this post: does anyone have any immediate favorite tracks or moments off the new record?  There are honestly so many for me, but I think my top pick is when Frankie M. picks back up after the sole vocal break.  The "butterfly" line and the backing female vocals are almost lighthearted, but when that driving drum rhythm creeps back in and Gira starts wailing let him die – I just love that sudden shift in the vibe of the song.  It's on the brink of being a juxtaposition.  When that build grows and the sliding bass comes in I just lose my shit.  What a track.

Edited by Derek™
VC still can't seem to get its shit together.

11 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

But to utilize this post: does anyone have any immediate favorite tracks or moments off the new record?  There are honestly so many for me, but I think my top pick is when Frankie M. picks back up after the sole vocal break.  The "butterfly" line and the backing female vocals are almost lighthearted, but when that driving drum rhythm creeps back in and Gira starts wailing let him die – I just love that sudden shift in the vibe of the song.  It's on the brink of being a juxtaposition.  When that build grows and the sliding bass comes in I just lose my shit.  What a track.

I might listen to it again later, but after one play Frankie M. takes the cake

18 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Fuck it.  Ordered from the label.

Good man.  You will have no regrets.  Obviously you can only tackle one monolithic 2-hour Swans album at a time, but I highly recommend that you get around to the other releases they did with this current lineup.  They're all so great.  I remember you going ham on Mogwai vinyl in the CODY thread a few years back, so I know you've got an ear for good music.  Easily some of the most engaging full-album experiences I've had the joy of hearing in recent years.

I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread, but I was told that the vinyl track list wouldn't be all jumbled from the CD / digital versions, this time around.  Which is great news.  It can be fun to listen to the vinyl versions of The Seer, but it doesn't feel right to me at all.

And on that note, it's looking like the vinyl version should be out the door pretty damn soon.

RiZxUim.jpg

I still can't shake how beefy that CD/DVD combo looks, on the last page.  I strongly suspect I'll be double-dipping just to support the label and own a physical copy of that live set.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Good man.  You will have no regrets.  Obviously you can only tackle one monolithic 2-hour Swans album at a time, but I highly recommend that you get around to the other releases they did with this current lineup.  They're all so great.  I remember you going ham on Mogwai vinyl in the CODY thread a few years back, so I know you've got an ear for good music.  Easily some of the most engaging full-album experiences I've had the joy of hearing in recent years.

I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread, but I was told that the vinyl track list wouldn't be all jumbled from the CD / digital versions, this time around.  Which is great news.  It can be fun to listen to the vinyl versions of The Seer, but it doesn't feel right to me at all.

Oh yeah man, I went crazy on Mogwai stuff all at once haha.  Unfortunately I'm a little older with a few more bills to pay now (and a wedding coming up in October), so I can't really afford to go crazy on Swans stuff all at once... I would if I could though!  I'll somewhat catch up eventually.

16 hours ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Oh yeah man, I went crazy on Mogwai stuff all at once haha.  Unfortunately I'm a little older with a few more bills to pay now (and a wedding coming up in October), so I can't really afford to go crazy on Swans stuff all at once... I would if I could though!  I'll somewhat catch up eventually.

That's certainly understandable.  (And congratulations, too.)  If you're capable of a little multi-tasking, have you considered Swans at your wedding?

8 hours ago, Derek™ said:

That's certainly understandable.  (And congratulations, too.)  If you're capable of a little multi-tasking, have you considered Swans at your wedding?

Thank you!  And I mean... Of course I've CONSIDERED it.  Not sure how well the suggestion would go over though...

On 6/10/2016 at 3:10 PM, Derek™ said:

I really enjoy Finally, Peace.

6 hours ago, jeffnovak said:

This was everything I was expecting. I'm very interested in what form Swans takes moving forward, considering Gira was saying this is the last Swans release in their current form. Either way, another great release in an untouchable discography.

Yeah,  I am interested to see if he keeps anyone from this crew. I really hope he keeps Westerberg and maybe Hahn and / or Puleo. I would enjoy a different bassist for sure.